• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: HMRC Behaviours

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "HMRC Behaviours"

Collapse

• SummerhillLass
    replied
    Interested to know more

Originally posted by phil@dswtres View Post
    I'm in touch with a journalist from a well known publication. They are keen to hear about any HMRC behaviours good or bad. I'm keen to make it as constructive as possible as it wouldn't be very useful just to say "Mr x says HMRC are ****"
    Particularly useful would be if anyone is willing to provide specific examples such as them losing their home due to HMRC refusing to accept time to pay or anything along those lines. Clearly would be more powerful if willing to have the person (or business) name in print rather than anonymous. Clearly some may not wish to do so which is fine - obv no need to reply. Personally I think it could be useful for people to shine a spotlight on their own case as its a national newspaper and therefore one would hope HMRC would need to responds/be seen to do the right thing.
    Again - any examples of HMRC going out of their way to assist also welcomed as this doesn't simply have to be a hatchet job. More a sensible look at how the people are being treated.

Anyone interested feel free to contact me. I know the journalist personally and am happy to make introductions if helps people feel better about assisting.

Cheers,
    Phil

I am certainly intrigued by your post so will try to PM you as I do have a story to share. Thanks, Phil

Leave a comment:

• APNMISERY21
    replied
    Can only see the positives in this tbh. Public opinion can only go one way from here. Good effort Phil.

Leave a comment:

• MyxALot
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    They're all appalling, just Phil feels the last one was worse. If you need any other assistance with basic English, I'll be glad to assist.
    Thanks, I was struggling with that particular 'p' word!

(I'll telegraph my point a bit clearer next time, though)

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by MyxALot View Post
    And the other examples weren't?!?!
    They're all appalling, just Phil feels the last one was worse. If you need any other assistance with basic English, I'll be glad to assist.

Leave a comment:

• MyxALot
    replied
    ps - the example you mention about the mental health ward is particularly appalling behaviour by them!
    And the other examples weren't?!?!

_______ HMRC _______
    Not Fit For Purpose since 2001

Leave a comment:

• Manic
    replied
    I'm with Fred on this one. Society has changed, there is an expectation that people pay their fair share.

I have great sympathy with anyone who needs to frequent this section of the forum as they were within the law and retrospective changes are abhorrent. The simple fact is that the public couldn't give a ****.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    All of the above and more reported to PAC and Treasury select committees.

result?

Nothing.

Leave a comment:

• phil@pmtc
    replied
    Originally posted by webberg View Post
    We have files full of alleged shady HMRC practice in assessing and collecting debts including such delights as a DMB officer turning up on the doorstep as our client was going into hospital for a planned C section, advised to HMRC - arguing with a client in the middle of the street - asking our client's neighbours their whereabouts "because they owe us a lot of money"- delivering a demand at 10;30pm to our client's aged and ill mother "because she would ensure it got delivered"- asking a client's wife which ward of the local mental health ward he was on.

These have all been made available to MPs, journalists paper and broadcast, technical papers, etc.

At the end of the day, the point raised by Mr Bloggs is valid.

The papers etc say that this is DMB doing its job and if they were allowed to do this to Amazon/Google/Global coffee chain, then perhaps the Clapham Omnibus journey might be a little more bearable.

I admire the intent and if there is a journalist willing to print this sort of stuff, then there is little to be lost, but I'm afraid equally little to be gained.
    I don't especially disagree and I fully get his points, I think as a general rule people don't care to hear, I guess I just don't want to give up as like you say there's little to be lost.Fighting a losing battle maybe but for now I have the energy to continue.

ps - the example you mention about the mental health ward is particularly appalling behaviour by them!

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    We have files full of alleged shady HMRC practice in assessing and collecting debts including such delights as a DMB officer turning up on the doorstep as our client was going into hospital for a planned C section, advised to HMRC - arguing with a client in the middle of the street - asking our client's neighbours their whereabouts "because they owe us a lot of money"- delivering a demand at 10;30pm to our client's aged and ill mother "because she would ensure it got delivered"- asking a client's wife which ward of the local mental health ward he was on.

These have all been made available to MPs, journalists paper and broadcast, technical papers, etc.

At the end of the day, the point raised by Mr Bloggs is valid.

The papers etc say that this is DMB doing its job and if they were allowed to do this to Amazon/Google/Global coffee chain, then perhaps the Clapham Omnibus journey might be a little more bearable.

I admire the intent and if there is a journalist willing to print this sort of stuff, then there is little to be lost, but I'm afraid equally little to be gained.

Leave a comment:

• phil@pmtc
    replied
    I think we may have to agree to disagree on it Fred. I don't have anything to 'let go' Its purely an offer if people wish to take up. Clearly you don't and fair play, that's your call. I've explained why I think it could be beneficial in that I feel a spotlight on exploring their behaviour is required but we will have to wait and see I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    To confirm - the article wouldn't necessarily need to even mention contracting or how the debt arose. It can be based on (for example) "having a huge debt due to poor advice in the past, Mr X has now tried to arrange a way to pay with HMRC but has been met with.....etc"
    I do agree that saying "I earned 100k+ and now have to pay tax on it" is hardly going to garner a great deal of sympathy.
    Despite this message and me having made this thread I'm not especially trying to convince people into doing this either as its clearly their call and a decision only they can make. I just felt it was worth posting here as some may be interested.
    Phil, it's all been tried before, you mean well, but my advice - Just let it go.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Delendog View Post
    I agree with Fred - contractors (and I am one) slate the megga rich and large corporate companies supposedly getting away with avoidance so why expect any difference to us from the omnibus guy.

Public opinion won't change and creating more of it will only increase Gov resolve to crack down and be "seen to" tackling it. This needs to be handled at Gov/MPs/HMRC level not in the wider world.
    Exactly. Especially with regard to the "we're special" pleading. Careful what you wish for out there. Best to lie low, say nothing and invoice the best you can, while you still can.

Leave a comment:

• phil@pmtc
    replied
    To confirm - the article wouldn't necessarily need to even mention contracting or how the debt arose. It can be based on (for example) "having a huge debt due to poor advice in the past, Mr X has now tried to arrange a way to pay with HMRC but has been met with.....etc"
    I do agree that saying "I earned 100k+ and now have to pay tax on it" is hardly going to garner a great deal of sympathy.
    Despite this message and me having made this thread I'm not especially trying to convince people into doing this either as its clearly their call and a decision only they can make. I just felt it was worth posting here as some may be interested.

Leave a comment:

• Delendog
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    I'm not really sure why you quoted me here to be honest. The guy on the omnibus isn't interested in your special pleading, he just wants you to pay the same amount of tax as he does and would that he have to if he were in the extremely fortunate situation of earning >GBP 100k year in year out. It doesn't wash. We've heard it all before.
    I agree with Fred - contractors (and I am one) slate the megga rich and large corporate companies supposedly getting away with avoidance so why expect any difference to us from the omnibus guy.

Public opinion won't change and creating more of it will only increase Gov resolve to crack down and be "seen to" tackling it. This needs to be handled at Gov/MPs/HMRC level not in the wider world.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Joolsey86 View Post
    Maybe you should get some qualifications, be prepared to retake them every other year to keep up with technology.

When you have done this, get yourself a contract in IT. Whilst in this contract, be prepared to work harder to justify yourself, each and every day amongst the safe and secure permies you are sitting next to who are chatting about Geordie Shore or something equally inane.

Bear in mind you will have to pay yourself holiday, pension, sick pay and any health care you want, as well as Corporation tax, Employers NI, Employee NI, PAYE.
    I'm not really sure why you quoted me here to be honest. The guy on the omnibus isn't interested in your special pleading, he just wants you to pay the same amount of tax as he does and that he would have to if he were in the extremely fortunate situation of earning >GBP 100k year in year out. It doesn't wash. We've heard it all before.
    Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 31 January 2018, 11:34.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X