• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Horizon exit opportunity (Non-Big Group discussion thread)"

Collapse

• me206et
    replied
    Horizon loan write off after settlement.

Has anyone tried to get venturis to write off loans after settlement with HMRC.

Are they willing to talk and if so for how much?
    Last edited by me206et; 21 June 2018, 14:42. Reason: Soeloings

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by luxCon View Post
    Is it not the point of such forums to fish out sucker schemes so that your average punter does not fall for it blindley?

If a scheme is highlighted and information is shared that would stop people getting in to it with only a one-sided marketing misinformation
    Look around you. This forum is full of such schemes - that’s how we highlight them.

Just saying that there is a Scheme out there and having single post Charlie’s coming here saying ‘it works for me!’ doesn’t count any longer. We stopped doing that in 2013 when Admin set up this forum.

Leave a comment:

• stonehenge
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I won’t allow it here, sucker schemes are not welcome.
    "sucker scheme" is a bit like saying "very unique"

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Is it not the point of such forums to fish out sucker schemes so that your average punter does not fall for it blindley?

If a scheme is highlighted and information is shared that would stop people getting in to it with only a one-sided marketing misinformation

The scam salesmen will use a schemes appearance on a site like this as a recommendation
    Its best to keep our story as simple as possible - and sadly that story is HMRC are after money and no scheme is going to let you avoid it...

Leave a comment:

• luxCon
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    I am aware that this is a "non BG" thread but as it has been mentioned, I feel I have permission to respond.

Big Group is advised by a professional firm.

That professional firm charges fees.

The fees for BG (and for the other services from their advisers) are fixed. Hourly rates or extortionate fixed rates are not charged. For fear of being accused of selling snake oil (again) I will not detail the fees here but they are available upon request.

No win, no fee is something that is almost never seen in tax work because HMRC is incapable of doing any deals as they have to have everybody from head of counter avoidance to the vice high chancellor of paperclips agree that a sensible and reasonable answer can be found outside of a Tribunal.

No win, no fee is seen in areas where there is some sort of public compensation fund to claim on, providing a minimum level of protection. HMRC does not have that.

The advisers behind BG claim no special route into HMRC, no special insights other than a sensible review of the facts and tax law, no special formula to reduce taxes. There are plenty that do.

The advisers behind BG are one of many. Google is your friend.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Horizon exit opportunity (Non-BG discussion thread)

cojak ... Why would you remove details of their proposals? Horizon members need to hear and understand what is being proposed.
    No one is stopping you from setting up a WhatsApp group to discuss your proposal.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
    I'm sure many people would gladly sign up to paying a %, of any reduction in their tax bill, in return for "no win, no fee".

At least you'd have more confidence that the advisors themselves really believed they could achieve something.

Of course, such terms will never be offered for obvious reasons.
    Are the reasons: -
    1. They are against HMRC who cheat and have limitless funds.
    2. If you have a legal case, try to get a no-win, no-fee firm to take your case. If one will, fund it yourself....

Leave a comment:

• stonehenge
    replied
    Where are the "no win, no fee" ambulance chasers?

I'm sure many people would gladly sign up to paying a %, of any reduction in their tax bill, in return for "no win, no fee".

At least you'd have more confidence that the advisors themselves really believed they could achieve something.

Of course, such terms will never be offered for obvious reasons.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Jarzinhio View Post
    So what is the solution and options. Everyone keeps saying don't get bitten twice or thrice. So if don't go down that route then the only option is to get slammed by HMRC or keep negotitating with them until it's too late. As I said everyone has different amounts they are due to pay. Just trying to see what the options are. I know BG are discussing with HMRC on the Rangers case etc. but they have been discussing for years. True now there is legislation and a change with the Rangers case final verdict but my experience with HMRC from other cases is that it will be difficult. They will look at each scheme individually and the law seems to have no logic as to how it can be applied differently to two identical looking cases.
    There is no solution. Since the retrospective law change in 2008 this has been coming.

If I had a loan(when DTA law was changed I bailed immediately) I would look to settle with HMRC.

My concern is that HMRC recently asked for inheritance tax on top of income tax! I would look to get advice settling - from BG. I would be concerned that any other group would be snake oil purveyors. And any individual adviser would cost too much.

I am concerned that BG is run by professionals. NTRT is run by amateurs - if they mess up they suffer as much as the rest. The leaders are the cleverest and brightest.

I have other worries: -
    1. DTA
    2. HMRC never respond when schemes are reported. They need to be far more pro-active in closing them down. Hence schemes keep multiplying.
    3. HMRC seem determined to use their perceived success on DTA and public sector contracts to target ALL contractors. However, that is a discussion for https://forums.contractoruk.com/future-contracting/

Leave a comment:

• regron
    replied
    Originally posted by Jarzinhio View Post
    So what is the solution and options. Everyone keeps saying don't get bitten twice or thrice. So if don't go down that route then the only option is to get slammed by HMRC or keep negotitating with them until it's too late. As I said everyone has different amounts they are due to pay. Just trying to see what the options are. I know BG are discussing with HMRC on the Rangers case etc. but they have been discussing for years. True now there is legislation and a change with the Rangers case final verdict but my experience with HMRC from other cases is that it will be difficult. They will look at each scheme individually and the law seems to have no logic as to how it can be applied differently to two identical looking cases.
    Putting it bluntly:

1. Fight it alone.
    2. Do some resource, make some calls, make an informed decision and join a group who you can fight it with.
    3. Do nothing and pay it all over when HMRC demand it.

Leave a comment:

• Jarzinhio
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Ahhh - he did mean BG!

BG have always been very open and honest. They admit they are getting paid.

Who else will help you settle? Who else will help interpret the HMRC new rules(which are even less understandable than the new rules lyrics by Duo Lipa).

People may whine and b1tch - however they never seem to suggest anything better....

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I think he just has a dislike of big group for reasons I can't be bothered to think about..
    Ahhh - he did mean BG!

BG have always been very open and honest. They admit they are getting paid.

Who else will help you settle? Who else will help interpret the HMRC new rules(which are even less understandable than the new rules lyrics by Duo Lipa).

People may whine and b1tch - however they never seem to suggest anything better....

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Not for a very long time. Though you may have a different definition of snake oil salesman

I think he just has a dislike of big group for reasons I can't be bothered to think about..

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Cityampm View Post
    And yet one snake oil salesman seems to have been allowed to tout his products / services freely on here...
    Not for a very long time. Though you may have a different definition of snake oil salesman

Leave a comment:

Working...
X