• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Holding doors open for Women etiquette?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    The problem with the other person not taking the door from you is that you can end up holding the damn thing for ages while an entire procession troops past
    On the other hand, it does give you good practice for your second career.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    Its ok i've found the answers : Etiquette of hat wearing for men

Interesting read.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    No. 2: The place of residence is only relevant if it is not a building. The elevator would only apply if it was an outdoors elevator, else you would have already removed your hat.
    I think he means that you only have to remove your hat if you are entering an elevator that doubles as someone's home located inside a building.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
    There are many old customs and etiquette that people just don't do any more.

1. Standing up when a lady enters the room
    2. Removing ones hat when entering a building, place of residence and a elevator.
    3. Opening the car door on the passenger side in which she is sitting.
    4. Calling her directly instead of text messages and e-mails with N.O.R.W.I.C.H
    No. 2: The place of residence is only relevant if it is not a building. The elevator would only apply if it was an outdoors elevator, else you would have already removed your hat.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    There are many old customs and etiquette that people just don't do any more.

1. Standing up when a lady enters the room
    2. Removing ones hat when entering a building, place of residence and a elevator.
    3. Opening the car door on the passenger side in which she is sitting.
    4. Calling her directly instead of text messages and e-mails with N.O.R.W.I.C.H

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Ah, I see. Bit like the black swan who broke someone's arm once?
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Some men like to tell tales of 'feminists' who give them grief for holding a door open. It may possibly have happened to one man somewhere once, but probably didn't. (IIRC, wim claimed it happened to him all the time!)
    Ah, I see. Bit like the swan who broke someone's arm once?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Some men like to tell tales of 'feminists' who give them grief for holding a door open. It may possibly have happened to one man somewhere once, but probably didn't. (IIRC, wim claimed it happened to him all the time!)
    It does happen all the time.

And they are always wearing dungarees and I H8 Men badges

And they are called Millie Tant

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    But he was always masturbating at the time, so it may true.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    eh? On what planet would someone have a go at someone else for being polite?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    Yeah, the etiquette of having to thank/acknowledge someone for something which you never asked them to do in the first place.

Was on the receiving end of a very snotty remark a few weeks ago when I didn't thank a woman for holding the door open, despite the fact my mind was on a minor family emergency.
    Hmm and they also did not slam it in your face either - another thing you do not ask for - small mercies hey.....

How can you not notice someone holding a door open - you can recognise a door and you can therefore recognise you need to open it - if you do not need to open it is
    a) Propped open by some non human device
    b) Held open by a human

How you fail to notice the difference is beyond me but I imagine it is because you think you are special.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Jumping on the bandwagon now are we?
    With my long legs, it's no problem at all.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Otherwise you'd be jumping up and down trying to reach the door handle.
    Jumping on the bandwagon now are we?

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    A cheerful and confident declaration of "Age before beauty!" usually dispels any illusions of sexism.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    One should always let a Lady go first. Or was it come first?

Anyway, best bit about holding a door open for a Lady is you get a better chance to stare down her cleavage. Just try not to drool too much.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X