• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Emotional good bye

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Emotional good bye"

Collapse

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I can imagine many places celebrating when you walk out the door.
    Building a massive tunnel to get rid of him is pretty impressive.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    My best was from Eurotunnel (French side) after my first ever contract.
    I can imagine many places celebrating when you walk out the door.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Pray they don't while you in a gig

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I tend to go with the flow of the team and the gig. At one team they always had some cakes or biscuits on the table to tuck in so I bought cupcakes on on my last day. Others have been less social and just left with polite handshakes. I would do whatever makes me fit in I'm case other work comes up and I am the first person they think to call. Yes doing quality work should do that but if I was a good old boy as well people remember. Basically networking. I certainly wouldn't ailienate myself and end up be just other miserable contractor to be forgotten about quickly.
    Exactly what I do.... They will call me back for sure

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    FTS

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I tend to go with the flow of the team and the gig. At one team they always had some cakes or biscuits on the table to tuck in so I bought cupcakes on on my last day. Others have been less social and just left with polite handshakes. I would do whatever makes me fit in I'm case other work comes up and I am the first person they think to call. Yes doing quality work should do that but if I was a good old boy as well people remember. Basically networking. I certainly wouldn't ailienate myself and end up be just other miserable contractor to be forgotten about quickly.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    I make it quite clear when I am on a contract, that as a contractor I do not want leaving cards, presents etc..
    I usually take a few people out for a pint or a meal, before I go but frankly leaving is part of being a contractor.
    I hand out a few business cards and bugger off out the door without a backward glance.
    I much prefer it that way.
    +1

Although my Ltd likes to purloin a stapler on the way out.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I make it quite clear when I am on a contract, that as a contractor I do not want leaving cards, presents etc..
    I usually take a few people out for a pint or a meal, before I go but frankly leaving is part of being a contractor.
    I hand out a few business cards and bugger off out the door without a backward glance.
    I much prefer it that way.

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied
    Originally posted by BigTime View Post
    Leaving a contract in Glasgow the whole team came out for a leaving drink and the guy I sat next to apologised for leaving at 7ish as he had to look after his kids. The rest were there for as long as I can remember. Different world.
    Normal after work behaviour in Glasgow. They are all legless after 7 anyway

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    WWNLUKS?

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    Leaving a contract in Glasgow the whole team came out for a leaving drink and the guy I sat next to apologised for leaving at 7ish as he had to look after his kids. The rest were there for as long as I can remember. Different world.

Leave a comment:

• Manz
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Ok so I have done several contracts now and am used to the process of good bye. Not a big deal, bring some krispy kremes, chocolates, send a couple of thank you emails and then bye. But these Yorkshire folk are different; They were all so nice to me, took me out on a nice meal in a top class restaurant, all added me in linked in and really showed appreciation for my efforts. I'm happy to just accept a thank you and leave but after a thoroughly enjoyable contract and receiving so much appreciation and warmth, I was genuinely emotional to be leaving.

God bless the Yorkshire folk. Maybe I'm losing my touch a bit?
    Similar to mine, this was my first ever contract (and first ever job too) they all wanted to take me out to a restaurant but they all know I'm fussy so the manager told them not to. They gave me a gift card on my way out and they were all coming up to me for handshakes and hugs. I was genuinely sad to be leaving such a big company with a good commutable distance from home, somewhere I guess I would have been happy to go perm at. Now all the roles I'm being offered require me to get a train to the heart of the city, they are all in places like canary wharf etc.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    My best was from Eurotunnel (French side) after my first ever contract.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    My best leaving presents came from a 3 month contract in NHS Leeds.

But in my previous contract in West Yorkshire they barely looked up from their PCs when I left.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    Did they get you a cake?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X