• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: RIP Rik Mayall

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "RIP Rik Mayall"

Collapse

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    What a shame, genuine hero of comedy. This is one of his best:

Last edited by ZARDOZ; 10 June 2014, 12:20.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I heard that the police had been called to a "sudden death", but didn't find anything to suggest foul play. Lots of people do randomly die from heart attacks and the like, but was he a heavy drinker like so many seem to be? I don't remember hearing anything like that.

All random speculation. How come nobody ever remembers Filthy Rich and Catflap?
    He had to stop drinking (and smoking) after he had his accident and was diagnosed with epilepsy. Whether he did or not will undoubtedly come out in the wash.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    The fit sounds plausible, considering he was badly injured in the head a few years ago when a quad bike he was riding tipped on top of him. ISTR he was in a coma for some time.
    Five days, from the Thursday before Easter to the Tuesday after it. When he came round he said one consolation was beating Jesus 5-3.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I heard that the police had been called to a "sudden death", but didn't find anything to suggest foul play. Lots of people do randomly die from heart attacks and the like, but was he a heavy drinker like so many seem to be? I don't remember hearing anything like that.

I remember it well. It worked in places but I saw it as a forerunner to Bottom. Genuinely gutted, one of my comedy heros.

qh

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    It seems to have been either a heart attack or an epileptic fit. They won't know until they find out and may never know...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    The fit sounds plausible, considering he was badly injured in the head a few years ago when a quad bike he was riding tipped on top of him. ISTR he was in a coma for some time.

Head trauma can often lead to frontal lobe epilepsy, which unfortunately tends to get worse over time. (Probably Julius Caesar's epilepsy was a result of being clobbered on the head in one of his battles.)
    Yep, I know my uncle died of a full on fit, my brother may do the same some time down the line, both are epileptic..

Edit, back when my brother had a fit in the early 1990s and he ended up with a clot on his frontal lobe, the surgeon was clear that there was nothing to worry about as he already suffered from the only possible side effect.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Not if no-one knows what it is.

It seems to have been either a heart attack or an epileptic fit. They won't know until they find out and may never know...

Head trauma can often lead to frontal lobe epilepsy, which unfortunately tends to get worse over time. (Probably Julius Caesar's epilepsy was a result of being clobbered on the head in one of his battles.)

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    Find it strange they haven't released the cause of death yet, usually they press if all over it.
    Not if no-one knows what it is.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Find it strange they haven't released the cause of death yet, usually they press if all over it.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    I feel sorry for you, you zeros! You nobodys! What's going to live on after you die? Nothing! That's what! This house will become a shrine, and punks and skins and rastas will all gather round and hold their hands in sorrow for their fallen leader. And all the grown-ups will say, 'But why are the kids crying?' And the kids will say, 'Haven't you heard? Rick is dead! The People's Poet is dead!' And then one particularly sensitive and articulate teenager will say, 'But kids, do you understand nothing? How can Rick be dead when we still have his poems?'
    RIP Rik (with a silent P)

Leave a comment:

• sbakoola
    replied
    What Rik Mayall dead ????? Oh. Well, then I shall write to the lead singer of Echo and the Bunnymen !!!! (about this tragedy).

I laughed so much at episodes of The Young Ones that I actually thought I was going to die.
    Last edited by sbakoola; 10 June 2014, 03:23.

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    What did he die of?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    A Fistful of Traveller's Cheques

One of the funniest (IMO) Comic Strip episodes ever.

"everybody crazy boy ping ponky poo"

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    What a shame. Makes me feel old now.
    Nothing like a healthy dose of reality

A very funny man. RIP

Leave a comment:

Working...
X