• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Value for money

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Value for money"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Value for money

Never had anything less than 5/5, which makes me think I could charge more. The only way to charge more IMO is to aim for a high standard. Which I do. Comparing price against the competition feels like the wrong strategy but that's what my customers do. ( or not, I'll pay more if I think it's better) So it's all back to focusing on making the wow stand out and ensuring it's clearly advertised, either by me or the reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Do you want to charge more and have people give you 4/5? Surely 5/5 should be your goal.

Leave a comment:

• JRCT
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Yes. Perhaps 25% more. Residential is a known monthly income. The holiday let is annual. The term 'holiday' let is somewhat false. I'd say 40-50% of my customers are visiting for a holiday usage with the rest being conferences, weddings, business, golf, the rugby.

The negatives are cost & trust. I don't use an agency. Not that they were too expensive as such but I did not trust them to deliver. Finding someone you can trust is paramount. The up-front cost is massive. I spent £15-20k moving the place up from a residential standard to a holiday-let standard. People want to be wowed, I do, and the reviews I get tell me it was money well spent. I've had repeat customers.

The positives. The place is in near showroom condition year round. Any minor defect or detail is repaired within the week whereas long-term tenants let the place decay. I book myself in at least twice a year.
    Thanks. That's good info. I agree about the tenants letting it decay. I have a relative in the flat currently, who gets discounted rent, for some reason, and whilst it's generally looked after, there are a few things that I need to keep on top of which he doesn't inform me about proactively.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by JRCT View Post
    Do you find it pays to have a holiday let over a residential? I presume you charge more for the holiday let, but it sits empty at times.

I ask because I have a flat in Edinburgh that I may be forced to make a decision about in the next year or so.
    Yes. Perhaps 25% more. Residential is a known monthly income. The holiday let is annual. The term 'holiday' let is somewhat false. I'd say 40-50% of my customers are visiting for a holiday usage with the rest being conferences, weddings, business, golf, the rugby.

The negatives are cost & trust. I don't use an agency. Not that they were too expensive as such but I did not trust them to deliver. Finding someone you can trust is paramount. The up-front cost is massive. I spent £15-20k moving the place up from a residential standard to a holiday-let standard. People want to be wowed, I do, and the reviews I get tell me it was money well spent. I've had repeat customers.

The positives. The place is in near showroom condition year round. Any minor defect or detail is repaired within the week whereas long-term tenants let the place decay. I book myself in at least twice a year.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 30 May 2014, 11:53.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    Or the Otters Pocket
    or Welly top.

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    My customers are requested to complete a short questionnaire. All of the customers since operations began have given me 5/5 for 'valve for money'.

The question is do I increase what I charge? I know I could but would rather have a full order book and charge less is the current thinking.

Oh this is my holiday let in Edinburgh.
    My properties in Glasgow are all let at about 10% under the current market rate. Never have any void periods. Prefer it that way. Though there's no mortgages on them so no need to worry about that..

Value for money is also good advertising.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Not forgetting the Knight Sleeve, of course, not to be confused with the Wizard's Sleeve.
    Or the Otters Pocket

Leave a comment:

• JRCT
    replied
    Do you find it pays to have a holiday let over a residential? I presume you charge more for the holiday let, but it sits empty at times.

I ask because I have a flat in Edinburgh that I may be forced to make a decision about in the next year or so.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Poppet, slide or clack?
    Yes, blee blah bloo to you to.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    'valve for money'.
    Poppet, slide or clack?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    well it wasn't for your spelling

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    started a topic Value for money

Value for money

My customers are requested to complete a short questionnaire. All of the customers since operations began have given me 5/5 for 'valve for money'.

The question is do I increase what I charge? I know I could but would rather have a full order book and charge less is the current thinking.

Oh this is my holiday let in Edinburgh.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 30 May 2014, 09:36.

Working...
X