• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Client says my memory is poor, and I'm too slow"

Collapse

• SunnyInHades
    replied

Taking this for the first time has an immediate effect.
    Only consume occasionally !

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    I've been at my current client for 12 months, and working on a project under a new-to-the-company project manager for the past three. He told me today that I was working too slow, and that my memory was poor, such that he had to remind me of what had been discussed. He said if I didn't improve I'd be out.

I have to say this is the first direct attack on my working abilities for many years. That is not to say that I am not and was not as bad as he implies in recent contracts (my average contract length is around 9 months, which I think is quite a short period of time). It's just that clients normally end the contract rather than criticize the contractor, in my experience.
    He does have a point though - for some reason my work output is down, the project is rather dull and uninspiring, and my web usage at the client site is quite high.

Any thoughts on this?

I appreciate, though, that posting this in General means I'll be copping plenty of abuse. So bring it on

Do any of you know anything about the science of motivation, and whether you can take steps to improve it yourself? Or is it best to get out.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    To be honest, you do sound a bit tulipe workwise. I struggle to care myself but always try to cover my back when there are actions allocated.
    Doesn't always work, I heard through a mate that when I worked with him, the boss's assessment of me was - great lad, gets on with everyone but does tend to do the bare minimum at best....
    Stunningly accurate assessment !
    Well done that man.....

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    To be honest, you do sound a bit tulipe workwise. I struggle to care myself but always try to cover my back when there are actions allocated.
    Doesn't always work, I heard through a mate that when I worked with him, the boss's assessment of me was - great lad, gets on with everyone but does tend to do the bare minimum at best....
    Stunningly accurate assessment !

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Try to take it as feedback rather than criticism.
    That's my intention yes.

I had a better more productive day today. And the recalcitrant PM made no further mention of the subject. So I guess I'll survive for now

Thanks for all your feedback and wit.

..Now I just need a new logo, as the elections are over, and UKIP has been up there for long enough. Decisions decisions...

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Blimey, you lot must REALLY have bees in your bonnets about PMs to side with KP
    And there was me thinking I was popular

Oh well, at least mudskipper loves me. And my mum.
    And Brillopad

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Blimey, you lot must REALLY have bees in your bonnets about PMs to side with KP

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    my web usage at the client site is quite high.

Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks!
    He dares to deny you time on cuk? What a moron.

Try to take it as feedback rather than criticism.

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    I've been at my current client for 12 months, and working on a project under a new-to-the-company project manager for the past three. He told me today that I was working too slow, and that my memory was poor, such that he had to remind me of what had been discussed. He said if I didn't improve I'd be out.

I have to say this is the first direct attack on my working abilities for many years. That is not to say that I am not and was not as bad as he implies in recent contracts (my average contract length is around 9 months, which I think is quite a short period of time). It's just that clients normally end the contract rather than criticize the contractor, in my experience.
    He does have a point though - for some reason my work output is down, the project is rather dull and uninspiring, and my web usage at the client site is quite high.

Any thoughts on this?

I appreciate, though, that posting this in General means I'll be copping plenty of abuse. So bring it on

Do any of you know anything about the science of motivation, and whether you can take steps to improve it yourself? Or is it best to get out.

Thanks!
    Hmmm... inneresting.

At least you'll never become a permie-tractor on the never ending virtual hamster wheel.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Is this guy giving you grief one of those manager types who expects people to brown nose him? I've worked with people like that, they come over (oo-er) all aggressive if they don't get the pandering and sycophantic neediness they need to function in life.

New to the company? So he'll still be on probationary period?

Go above his head and report him for what he said or some minor misdemeanor. If he gets aggressive just smile and shake your head and carry on, these types hate that.

Or smack him one in the carpark.

At the very least it will make the gig a tad more interesting. For a bit.

qh

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    60-80% of a PM's job is communication - and that does not mean mentioning things in passing.

If you want to communicate you do it in writing making your requirements clear and concise so as to leave no room for ambiguity.
    Indeed. Someone who delegates has to understand that by asking somebody else to do something it will be done differently to the way he would do it himself. If he can't accept that then he should do it himself, and probably isn't really unsuited to leading.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Leuchtterm or the Oxford International ringbound ones are my favourites. Staples do some nice modular ones with movable dividers and refills of different kinds of paper in, they are good but they weigh a ton.

One note is good as well and integrates with outlook. You can use it online so no need to install.
    Asda do some good notebooks. I always make sure I have one with me for note taking, as I too have a poor memory.

And for when I forget it, I have a Samsung Note 3 that is really good for note taking, and I never forget that (although I may forget to charge it).

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied

I have to say this is the first direct attack on my working abilities for many years.
    Thanks!
    I think the answer lies within the fact that he's new. He's looking to impress and probably thinks culling some contractors will impress. No doubt you are not one of the cheapest. Seen it before, he will get rid of all the expensive and experienced contractors, look good for a couple of months, then it will go tits up when there is some problem with the projects and nobody with any experience to sort it.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied

I do, mostly. I keep a todo list listing details of current tasks.
    Trouble is they have these daily "stand-up" meetings first thing, and when I get in my recall of what I am working on is normally OK, but never perfect.
    And sods law means that the one thing the PM says to me in passing one afternoon doesn't go into the list, and he'll refer to it two days later...
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    don't accept things in passing. say "that's a good point, can you send me a task / email with that in?". - you know what my memory is like.
    60-80% of a PM's job is communication - and that does not mean mentioning things in passing.

If you want to communicate you do it in writing making your requirements clear and concise so as to leave no room for ambiguity.

So yes as other people have said you have a ***** wit whose sole interest is making other people look bad so he looks good.

He has already made you question your abilities --- how long have you been contracting for?

But also if you are bored and cba just go get another contract.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Get a notebook so that it's easy to remember where you wrote them.
    Leuchtterm or the Oxford International ringbound ones are my favourites. Staples do some nice modular ones with movable dividers and refills of different kinds of paper in, they are good but they weigh a ton.

One note is good as well and integrates with outlook. You can use it online so no need to install.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X