• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: #EnoughAlready

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "#EnoughAlready"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Should the raft not have deployed as soon as it hit the water?

Is that not the gig with these things?
    Not on a 40ft long racing boat. The liferaft would be a little inflatable thing that needs taking out of the bag and dropping in the water like this:

REVERE | reveresurvival.com | Manufacturer of Survival Equipment Since 1936

If the boat went over quickly and they were trapped inside the hull they would have had a job getting out and deploying it.
    Last edited by doodab; 24 May 2014, 14:38.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    It's about exciting as programming in Cobol
    Dear God, that's a bit strong

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Should the raft not have deployed as soon as it hit the water?

Is that not the gig with these things?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The ocean's a big place and an upturned boat is very small.
    If they can lose a plane, I think they did pretty well to find a little boat.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The ocean's a big place and an upturned boat is very small.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I suppose this is a better resolution for the family, to at least be sure? Or not really?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    BBC News - Cheeki Rafiki: Life raft found on damaged yacht

Liferaft was still on the yacht. The search has been called off.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    This caught my eye on BBCYou don't "battle with" 6 foot seas, and 18.5km/h (10knots) is classed as a "gentle breeze" on the Beaufort scale.
    Quite, I used to handle 30 foot rollers off Portland quite regularly

6 foot waves are nothing out at sea

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    And you're meant to be a Christian? No wonder religion is dying out!
    FTFY :nazi:

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    This caught my eye on BBC
    The US Coast Guard has resumed the search, which was called off on Sunday, following an official request from the UK government. The coastguard said it had searched a total of 2,878 sq miles so far.

But it warned it was battling against six-foot seas with wind speeds of less than 18.5km per hour.
    You don't "battle with" 6 foot seas, and 18.5km/h (10knots) is classed as a "gentle breeze" on the Beaufort scale.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    If this was your family member, what non narcissistic meme attaching help would you give to the cause?
    Oh, I don't know, possibly wear a silly little coloured plastic bracelet. Sorry, but standing there with a picture of the the missing people with a #tag won't help people in these circumstances. Its a totally different situation to the poor girls in Nigeria which has a slightly more important significance than these sailors. I mean how is it going to help them in any way? Will they get the might of the Royal Navy, US Navy and satellites moving there to do the search when they could be doing far more important things elsewhere? There is enough action going on searching for them as it is and this is just playing on the public. Sorry, but I think its just not right and possibly the only way it helps, is the poor members of the family believing that they're doing something...

(* when will start seeing #remembermaddie tags?)

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If my family member was lost at sea that long ago I'd accept they were dead and try to deal with that fact.

Trying to persuade the emergency services to drop everything and spend man-months and £millions doesn't strike me as right - anyone who goes to sea knows they are putting themselves at risk. My father was an active sailor and was lucky enough to have been rescued by the lifeboat in the past (lucky they were nearby I mean) but he wouldn't have expected or wanted a massive mission to be mounted. Bad stuff happens.

What are the families doing besides trying to strong-arm the rescue services?
    Last edited by d000hg; 21 May 2014, 12:58.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    As I said, I would not. If there were meaningful things to be done then yes, but latching onto narcissistic memes is not meaningful. It brings to mind that saying about prayer by non-believers... "How to do nothing and still think you're helping". Snapping a silly photo with apiece of paper lets people assuage themselves of low-level guilt.
    If this was your family member, what non narcissistic meme attaching help would you give to the cause?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    If it was a member of your family you would do the same.
    As I said, I would not. If there were meaningful things to be done then yes, but latching onto narcissistic memes is not meaningful. It brings to mind that saying about prayer by non-believers... "How to do nothing and still think you're helping". Snapping a silly photo with apiece of paper lets people assuage themselves of low-level guilt.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    If it was a member of your family you would do the same.

Its like me being against the death penalty. Except for someone who harms my family. Then I want a slow, painful one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X