• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Halal Meat?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Halal Meat?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Non Muslims and Muslims drink alcohol in Muslim countries. If you honestly think that all Muslims in a Muslim country don't drink alcohol then you are delusional.
    The point was that it is LEGAL for outsiders to drink and eat pork in some countries where the locals are forbidden to.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    But it's just food.

Admittedly it would be nice to know the animal was well treated in life and had a humane death but as long as whatever it went through has not stopped it being a good burger then well who cares.
    Crap life = Crap burger

Nuff said!

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    But it's just food.

Admittedly it would be nice to know the animal was well treated in life and had a humane death but as long as whatever it went through has not stopped it being a good burger then well who cares.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by rzahmed View Post
    All this furore about Halal meat is just scare mongering and vilifying of Muslims by the Mainstream media and racists. To met to be truly halal the animal must have been cared for and fed properly (I.e. not ground up dead animals), transported with compassion, given some water befo re slaughter and not slaughtered around other animals. The bit about the prayer is just the final stage, and Allah simply being the Arabic name for God. The reason for the prayer is because all life is sacred therefore the animal should know that it is being killed with the permission and in the name of God.
    I am sure that'll make it feel a whole lot better

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Yes!
    So have I though I was a kid.

Factory slaughtering regardless of method disturbs animals as they can sense and smell death.

I later met vegetarians who refused to eat meat in Western countries and cities, but were quite happy to eat it when they went travelling to more remote places.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    So you have personally seen an animal killed in the halal/kosher way and the European way?
    Yes!

I've also seen it done badly European style where the animal is transported in cramped conditions into a filthy abattoir and harassed before it is killed.

My family were butchers and I saw my grandfather kill sheep for the shop and he wasn't using a humane killer.

In the UK I was lucky to buy my meat from someone who cared about the animals enough to make sure it was done in a stress free and quick and humane (as possible) manner.

I don't object to hal-al or kosher but the treatment of the animal beforehand and also was it killed quickly and didn't suffer unintentionally.
    Last edited by norrahe; 20 May 2014, 10:12.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    I've has some good Turkish wine recently.
    Moroccan wine can be good too.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Shiraz and Behnoush, only illegal since the Iranian revolution in 1979
    I've has some good Turkish wine recently.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Good point - also is it only at the point of slaughter where your interest stars norahe? What about the whole life of the animal?
    Um, I think that was exactly the point she was making.

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    It's not only how they have been killed but the quality of life the animal has.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    Would you say the same for women in muslim countries ?, apart from the subjugation, genital mutliation and marital rape would you SAY they have a pretty good life compared to those in western countries
    Somehow I don't think there is unanimity on these as parts of Islam.....

You seem to be a victim of the propoganda

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Shiraz and Behnoush, only illegal since the Iranian revolution in 1979

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Good point - also is it only at the point of slaughter where your interest stars norahe? What about the whole life of the animal? Islam brought animal rights to the forefront of society over 1400 years ago when they were made to live and die in a savage way. The way the animal lives before hand and the environment of slaughter are all part of the halal way. It is interesting to see how the media puts all it's focus on the point of slaughter (even though stunning appears to be fine for the vast vast majority!!!!)
    Would you say the same for women in muslim countries ?, apart from the subjugation, genital mutliation and marital rape would you SAY they have a pretty good life compared to those in western countries

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    it is indeed however there are tensions about it in the country as I understand it.
    I don't think there is a massive issue with pork as that does not really have any social impact. There is definitely a red line when it comes to Muslims and Islam as far as alcohol goes. It is seen as an absolute evil and so you can understand why there is tension about it. As a non-drinker myself I can tolerate alcohol but I don't really like it. For others who see it as something that is unclean and an absolute evil (due to their faith) you can understand why they would be uneasy about it.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    So what? They do it. Many societies 'tolerate' activities that a majority don't like; surely it's only a good thing when an Islamic country does that?
    it is indeed however there are tensions about it in the country as I understand it.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    So you have personally seen an animal killed in the halal/kosher way and the European way?
    Good point - also is it only at the point of slaughter where your interest stars norahe? What about the whole life of the animal? Islam brought animal rights to the forefront of society over 1400 years ago when they were made to live and die in a savage way. The way the animal lives before hand and the environment of slaughter are all part of the halal way. It is interesting to see how the media puts all it's focus on the point of slaughter (even though stunning appears to be fine for the vast vast majority!!!!)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X