• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "BOOMED - The Great Recession is Over!"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
    FTFY
    they have just been sorted, £1m is a drop in the ocean compared to the big boys.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    They have had a lot of publicity. I for one had no idea there was such a thing as a food back a year or so ago, but recently they've been all over the news. It's a wonder the usage has only doubled.
    There have been food banks around for years but most people didn't know about them or other places to get a free meal.

The wonders of the interweb

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
    Or they could just get a job... you can make £150 a day just for answering the phone and saying "have you tried turning it off 'n' on again", don't you know.
    Eh? £750 a week for working in a call centre?

I somehow doubt it.

Leave a comment:

• Scratch It
    replied
    Gordon's deficit buying the banks...

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    At the same time we need to sort the very rich & seeleb pop star tw*ts like Take That, et al paying a proper amount of tax.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Or get the economy functioning well enough that the tax take covers the outgoings.
    Well yes, most people know that, but it obviously can't happen overnight.

Sudden big, damaging cost cuts will feck it up, and on the other side of the equation you can't magic the required extra growth out of thin air.

Reducing costs and increasing output must be done slowly. It is what the government are trying to do and they have had some success at it, but it will take more years yet.

Meanwhile, although the deficit is shrinking, until it reaches zero it still increases our borrowing requirement every year. Hence why articles squealing shock horror about record debt are a waste of time.
    Last edited by Doggy Styles; 11 May 2014, 00:21.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    If they want to eliminate Gordon's deficit at a stroke, the government would have to switch off most benefits within the week, and perhaps a large chunk of NHS spending. I can't see that going down too well with anybody.
    Or get the economy functioning well enough that the tax take covers the outgoings.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Don't worry, everything is ok...

UK Debt Clock

Amazing how things can change in a month, especially in Daily Wail land:

Britain's debt mountain reaches £1.39TRILLION
    And it will get higher, everyone knows that. We've still got a deficit.

I don't know what the Mail expects. If they want to eliminate Gordon's deficit at a stroke, the government would have to switch off most benefits within the week, and perhaps a large chunk of NHS spending. I can't see that going down too well with anybody.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Don't worry, everything is ok...

UK Debt Clock

Amazing how things can change in a month, especially in Daily Wail land:

Britain's debt mountain reaches £1.39TRILLION

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Or they could just get a job... you can make £150 a day just for answering the phone and saying "have you tried turning it off 'n' on again", don't you know.
    nice, real compassion.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Define that please. Legal, moral or just what you think it should be?
    hence Proper, its something that needs to be defined by negotiation. I can't really see why Starbucks, Amazon etc can undercut UK business by avoiding UK tax, though I (and probably you) aren't clever enough to define how to create a way of levying a suitable level of taxation for every business.

Leave a comment:

• Project Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Its slowly changing, the Benefits cap has bitten they need to let fiscal drag to reduce it, spare room subsidy is biting, we need to restrict council accommodation for the well off, deal forcefully with the ASBO winners and enforce workfare.

At the same time we need to sort the very rich & corporations paying a proper amount of tax.
    Define that please. Legal, moral or just what you think it should be?

Leave a comment:

• Project Monkey
    replied

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Strangely the food bank usage graph I posted doesn't show any blip or wobble during the financial crisis. Its like it was going to keep rising exponentially anyway. Weird.
    They have had a lot of publicity. I for one had no idea there was such a thing as a food back a year or so ago, but recently they've been all over the news. It's a wonder the usage has only doubled.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Or the financial crisis was overblown for column inches, in the same way that anyone wanting to keep costs down could use terms like credit crunch when employees asked for a raise.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X