• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How long did it take you to find your first home?"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    hardly 24 people in a 2-bed apartment
    We're respectable folk...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    hardly 24 people in a 2-bed apartment

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Who's going to make a racist comment?
    My grandma, grandad and two of their adult kids used to live in a terrace in tottenham. My parents, my sister and I lived there for a while too. That's 8 people and three generations under one roof. And a couple of dogs.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Who's going to make a racist comment?

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Possibly 24 people.
    Or maybe no one was disappointed because they were all members of the same extended family and all moving in.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Possibly 24 people.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    The housing market is mad at the moment, I live in Tottenham, N17.

Our neighbour put her flat on the market, has lived there for 19 years, and the following weekend had 26 people through the door to view it, ground floor 2 bed, with garden, £300k.

No problems getting an offer there, and there were obviously 25 disappointed folks.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Is that house crooked?
    It does look it doesn't it? Maybe one day estate agents how to take a decent photograph.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Well it would be for you, given that you have to live among immigrants in Slough.
    Your a sad lonely individual, I sincerely hope you seek help for your self and get out of your bedsit.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    ... the 'I'm considerably richer than Yow' loop is annoying.
    Well it would be for you, given that you have to live among immigrants in Slough.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    I feel so lucky that the missus had here own place already. I just unpacked.

Though we are now feeling the squeeze with me working at home, using the spare bedroom and the kid needing more space. sigh.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Aye. 10K above asking is probably the minimum in this stupid market - and even that is probably an underestimate.
    Glad I'm out of this game nowadays.
    I'm hoping the stamp duty threshold will prevent that in this case but its certainly no guarantee in the current market, as you say. Most people will hopefully be in our position and not be able to afford the extra stamp duty but it only takes one cash buyer with the extra cash-flow or somebody with a massive deposit who isn't right on a LTV threshold for their mortgage offer.

I'm considering viewing this one right round the corner too:
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-pri...ountry=england

Its interesting as it was sold on 24 Jan for £194k and then went back on the market on 11 Feb for £290k. It was reduced to £275k beginning of April. It looks like an investor has bought it and done it up (from what I can tell: loft conversion, new kitchen/bathroom, new floors and magnolia throughout) and maybe got a bit greedy. As an estimate they've probably spent between £30-40k on it so very unlikely to drop to £250k but you never know...they might be desperate to get out and get their money back. They'd still make a small profit. No harm in looking.
    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 6 May 2014, 11:50.

Leave a comment:

• kevpuk
    replied
    We viewed 6 properties first time around, and the one we bought we viewed first on 21st July, 2nd time on 23rd July and moved in on one of the first few days of October......
    This time around, I think we have viewed 12 or 13.....all in late March, and are now awaiting the full mortgage offer and hopefully heading towards exchange. We had an AIP of almost 50% more than the sort of value property we were after, but found a very nice 5-bed detached that we offered on after 1st viewing!
    As for our current place, went on the market on a Tuesday, 4 viewings on the Wednesday and 2 offers at full asking the same day....crazy!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Can the owner of this bot please check it. It seems stuck and just keeps posting the same post over and over again.
    I think I preferred it when it was stuck in the Cretins loop, the 'I'm considerably richer than Yow' loop is annoying.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    So my current thinking is if I still love the place after seeing it, to just go straight in with a best and final offer of asking price. With the amount if competition I can't see it going for less so no point in messing around.
    Aye. 10K above asking is probably the minimum in this stupid market - and even that is probably an underestimate.
    Glad I'm out of this game nowadays.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X