• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: First job

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "First job"

Collapse

• Tensai
    replied
    The most crucial rhetorical question most people have not answered is "what lesson did [insert tulipty job here] teach me?"

Job : Picking up golf balls at an East Midlands driving range while a deranged pro tried to hit you from 200 yards.
    Lesson : There must be easier ways to make money. Be the golf pro, not the ball boy (metaphorically.)

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Paper round,
    Milk round,
    Buildng labourer,
    Motor Cycle Courier (while at Uni)
    Door to Door Salesman (after Uni)
    Recruitment Agent ( )
    First IT job in tech support.

It's been downhill since then

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
    Hoew ist thy shrubberees these daes?
    Quantity not Land Surveyor

Leave a comment:

• Martin Scroatman
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    My pocket money job was working in the local chip shop.
    Left school did retail jobs, then ran a scaffold yard & then back to Uni & now a Chartered Surveyor
    Hoew ist thy shrubberees these daes?

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    My pocket money job was working in the local chip shop.
    Left school did retail jobs, then ran a scaffold yard & then back to Uni & now a Chartered Surveyor

Leave a comment:

• Pherlopolus
    replied
    My first job was on a 4 months contract in 1989 doing a clean up of Wolverhampton ring road while I was waiting for my A Level results, was great fun and got about £150 a week with productivity bonuses which at 18 was fantastic, I was driving 5.6t tipper lorries for a while when the driver broke his toe and I was the only one with a driving licence! Also learnt the importance of getting 3 pints in in a 30 min lunch break (shandies if driving - which shocks me a bit now!), then eating lunch on the walk back. Did make me realise that working in an office with computers would be much less hard work, and my liver has probably been saved!

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Basically you've never had them take a pocket money job and learn the value of hard work / money earlier in life

#spoiledwithasilverspoon
    NAT's quote was from 15 months ago

#delayedresponse

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    £5 per (8 hour) day washing/preparing cars for the local Vauxhall dealer. I was 15, it was my first summer job.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Basically you've never had them take a pocket money job and learn the value of hard work / money earlier in life

#spoiledwithasilverspoon
    It's Switzerland... £500 will buy you a starbucks, £2000 is just enough for a big mac and large fries...

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    And it seems my other daughter is likely to get an apprenticeship with one of the multinationals here, as a lab. technician. Starting January 2015, first year she'll get about £500 a month. Second year, up to £2000 a month.

#spoiledwithasilverspoon

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by czakky View Post
    Paper boy in the early 90's.

£15 a week for 4 mornings, I felt rich!
    I got £23/week for 7 days a week (7 mornings + 6 afternoons) -50p every time you were late - late 90s

I was the richest self-made hundredaire in school but I was too tired to do anything, ever. If I went round to a mates house on a friday night I'd fall asleep by 9 (then have to be up at 6am to do the saturday papers, obv)
    Last edited by pr1; 27 August 2015, 07:43.

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    I was a late starter, my first job was an IT contract at 18 whilst on college placement. They needed me to stay for an extra 2 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Papa paid me in ponies to shout at the hired domestic staff. Bliss.

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Packaging Technician at Showerings Cider factory, Shepton Mallet.

Had to go to the factory floor every hour to make sure the labels were on straight then back to my lab for a kip.

Rinse & repeat x 8.

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    16 y/o summer job, in a cardboard factory

stuck at the end of a cardboard corrugater it was 35 degree according to the thermometre they put on the end of the machine just to torture you

thought i was too hard for gloves so managed 2 days loaded freshly cut sheets of cardboard onto palettes for 10 hours a day before my hands were cut to shreds

was paid £1.51 per hour this was 1997

decided there and then the physical labour wasn't for me and i'd be seeking a cushy office number

Leave a comment:

Working...
X