• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Taxation is theft

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Taxation is theft"

Collapse

• evilagent
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    You lot do realise that this thread could go on ad infinitum, don't you?
    Like the ideal contract...

Keep calm and keep posting (invoices)

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Isn't that true of any thread? Look at TPD. This one would be known as TIT

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Leave a comment:

• evilagent
    replied
    And another thing:

re: "force" or "voluntary";

I don't have the knowledge to know if stem-cell research will result in any benefit in the future.
    Nor do I know if fusion will work.

How can you make a "voluntary" decision about blue-sky thinking?
    It's a social risk we are taking, and hopefully will benefit from.
    How could you possibly finance these through anything other than govt projects?
    (given the short-termism of most corps)

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I thought they were the same person.
    WGAS

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    SO and ZL are the new CUK 6th form debating society.
    I thought they were the same person.

Leave a comment:

• evilagent
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    Cool, so you agree with me then - It's your opinion that I'm interested in. Not what some piece of paper called "the law of some such land" says.
    Killing outside the remit of self-defence is murder, forcing sex without consent is rape, and taking from someone by force is theft.

Taxation is taking money from me by force, regardless of what is 'offered' in return. Therefore taxation, as opposed to voluntary trade, is theft.

We got there in the end! It's funny how one has to get some people to answer enough questions until they come around to the inescapable truth - even though they persist in not admitting it to themselves directly.
    Tax is the price of being part of a coherent society.

Try policing where you had to pay for an investigaton.
    Try health where you are unconscious after an accident, and they need your "consent" before before being taken to hospital for treatment.

Try a strategic longterm investment where you don't see the benefits for decades, or such things like airlines (without military investment, there wouldn't be the knowledge base), or satellites (you would have no mobile phones without the bottomless pit of money needed for military rocketry knowledge)

It's a tough one, and the issues are more about a reasonable taxation.
    And of course the slice the government takes.
    And the bottom section of society that seeks to milk systems.
    And the top section of society that seeks to milk systems through govenment contracts (knowing the tax-payer is underwriting everything, and essentially not operating a true business affected by supply and demand. weapons amnufacturers particularly, and pharmaceutical corps overcharging for meds)

It's a mess. But better than any other mess we can find anywhere else on the planet.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Cool, so you agree with me then - It's your opinion that I'm interested in....
    You really need to read properly what I've said. I do NOT agree with you.

I think there are moral absolutes, and it is possible for something to be legal and immoral (and illegal and moral). I do not think that taxation is theft. Taking from someone by force is not theft when it is mandated by the law. Similarly, state executions, since they are legal, are not murder.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Don't start him off on this, it's his favourite topic. Do a forum search of his posts.
    Don't worry, it's just Randian objectivist nonsense.

SO and ZL are the new CUK 6th form debating society. The thread on God was an interesting insight into this.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Is deducting tax from employees at source taking by force?
    Is forcibly enforcing a debt theft?
    Don't start him off on this, it's his favourite topic. Do a forum search of his posts.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Taxation is taking money from me by force, regardless of what is 'offered' in return. Therefore taxation, as opposed to voluntary trade, is theft.
    Is deducting tax from employees at source taking by force?
    Is forcibly enforcing a debt theft?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If that is the case, then all that happens is that the question regresses a level - if the definition of theft or murder depends on the law, then where does the law come from? My law considerers theft to be theft under all circumstances, i.e. taking what isn't yours by force is theft.

So when you say that taxation is legal... says who? It's illegal. it always has been and always will be.
    You don't have any laws, just opinions.

Also, are you suggesting moral absolutism i.e. some fundamental external definition of right or wrong? I didn't have you down as the religious type.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    It is not the definition I hold but...

...By the definition I presented, which I believe (as noted) is that one that in practice is how the world works, then yes, of course.
    Cool, so you agree with me then - It's your opinion that I'm interested in. Not what some piece of paper called "the law of some such land" says.
    Killing outside the remit of self-defence is murder, forcing sex without consent is rape, and taking from someone by force is theft.

We got there in the end! It's funny how one has to get some people to answer enough questions until they come around to the inescapable truth - even though they persist in not admitting it to themselves directly.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    ...A deeper meaning to me is that although tax is legal, and you should pay it, there is in turn no ethics attached to it; hence I don't see any issue with legal (stress the legal) tax avoidance...
    Indeed. A system of government could be possible with no taxation, yet still be able to maintain adequate service provision for people regardless of their income.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Indeed. What a very practical chap you are! Most rare among CUKers. Although, if you exclude any notion of what is moral or right or even best for society as more sensible people would define it, then anything that works or that one can get away with, including tax evasion, is equally valid.
    With moral relativism how could it be otherwise?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X