• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: House hunting?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "House hunting?"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I wonder what happened to the Camden Tong? They were a violent gang who descended on other London boroughs for organised fights.

15 of them came out to Hertfordshire once in the 1970s, getting off the train, marching up the High Street, and sending the 200 local yobs waiting for them running for cover.

Perhaps they are all middle-aged Bohemian wine-bar dwellers now.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    According to a 38 Degrees petition last year, Camden contributes no less than 1% to the UK's GDP!

A worthy campaign, which they say succeeded, although it's hard to believe most of the tat on sale in Camden Market contributes all that much to anything.
    Almost all young Euro tourists want to visit Camden and do.
    So I'm not surprised it (probably indirectly) generates so much GDP.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Meh, can't stand Camden. If I had £1.65m there are many places in London I'd rather live.
    According to a 38 Degrees petition last year, Camden contributes no less than 1% to the UK's GDP!

... Camden is a vital contributor to the UK's economic success, contributing 1% of its GDP. It is home to hundreds of small businesses and the world famous Camden market, which is one of London's most visited tourist attractions. Yet the current plans for HS2 will rip Camden apart for no real national benefit. ...
    A worthy campaign, which they say succeeded, although it's hard to believe most of the tat on sale in Camden Market contributes all that much to anything.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Didn't you say you had moved from Wandsworth to "leafy Surrey"? I had you down as living in Sutton or Reigate or somewhere round there.

Mind you, the line between Surrey and London and Middlesex etc is pretty blurred these days. When I was a kid Wimbledon was definitely in Surrey, and not that long ago Middlesex ended at Temple Bar in Fleet Street.
    I was in leafy Wandsworth before - still miss it, could have been a mistake moving.
    But the point is that air quality is fine there.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Chelsea was an artists colony once, you know
    True, and Fulham was well dodgy only 50 years ago.

And until late 19th century the whole area round Covent Garden and Seven Dials, literally a stone's throw from the fancy houses in Regent Street and Pall Mall, was a mass of vile crime-ridden slums and small alleys, which even the police would only venture into in large teams.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    As for the other crap, I'm in the best of health, air quality in London is as good as any other city ...
    Didn't you say you had moved from Wandsworth to "leafy Surrey"? I had you down as living in Sutton or Reigate or somewhere round there.

Mind you, the line between Surrey and London and Middlesex etc is pretty blurred these days. When I was a kid Wimbledon was definitely in Surrey, and not that long ago Middlesex ended at Temple Bar in Fleet Street.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Call yourself a contractor
    I don't. I'm a freelancer.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I can't afford one. Not at London prices.
    Call yourself a contractor

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    get a room you two!
    I can't afford one. Not at London prices.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Your mental health on here paints a different picture.
    get a room you two!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    , I'm in the best of health,
    Your mental health on here paints a different picture.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    If I wanted to I could buy in central London, Fulham appeals.

But what does not appeal is living in someone else's armpit. The overcrowding is off putting.
    The cancer causing smog. Cough splutter choke. Oh look blood.
    The overpriced food I'd get used to I guess.
    It take me more than an hour or two to get on the piste.
    The crime. Stabbings, murder, no thank you.

The list goes on. Which is a shame given there's much to do in the city.

Not found a city yet the matches the quality of living to be found in Munich. Found an house last year but my goodness, €1.2million. At a push perhaps.
    You couldn't afford to live in London, not unless it was in some cramped hovel.
    As for the other crap, I'm in the best of health, air quality in London is as good as any other city, unless you're part of some gang, you'll probably never be the victim of any crime. But seeing as you're crap at statistics, I wouldn't expect you to know any of that.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    If I wanted to I could buy in central London, Fulham appeals.

But what does not appeal is living in someone else's armpit. The overcrowding is off putting.
    The cancer causing smog. Cough splutter choke. Oh look blood.
    The overpriced food I'd get used to I guess.
    It take me more than an hour or two to get on the piste.
    The crime. Stabbings, murder, no thank you.

The list goes on. Which is a shame given there's much to do in the city.

Not found a city yet the matches the quality of living to be found in Munich. Found an house last year but my goodness, €1.2million. At a push perhaps.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Meh, can't stand Camden. If I had £1.65m there are many places in London I'd rather live.
    Agree with you there - but some people like it especially music types

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Very true - Been saying it for ten years, but now it's worse than ever, and one reason I'm cashing in and moving out.

Mind you, they were already saying it at every party back in the 1960s and 70s, or at least grumbling about not being able to buy a mews house for a pittance. ("only ex servants' quarters for God's sake, and would you believe they cost £40K or more, yadda yadda ... )
    The center of London is uncool now - but the cool are performing their usual function of gentrifying once uninhabitable areas: Hackney is the latest one now that Shoreditch is expensive, and so it will go on.
    If you want up-and-coming in London look East.
    Chelsea was an artists colony once, you know

Leave a comment:

Working...
X