• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House hunting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Very true - Been saying it for ten years, but now it's worse than ever, and one reason I'm cashing in and moving out.

Mind you, they were already saying it at every party back in the 1960s and 70s, or at least grumbling about not being able to buy a mews house for a pittance. ("only ex servants' quarters for God's sake, and would you believe they cost £40K or more, yadda yadda ... )
    The center of London is uncool now - but the cool are performing their usual function of gentrifying once uninhabitable areas: Hackney is the latest one now that Shoreditch is expensive, and so it will go on.
    If you want up-and-coming in London look East.
    Chelsea was an artists colony once, you know
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
      Meh, can't stand Camden. If I had £1.65m there are many places in London I'd rather live.
      Agree with you there - but some people like it especially music types
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

If I wanted to I could buy in central London, Fulham appeals.

But what does not appeal is living in someone else's armpit. The overcrowding is off putting.
        The cancer causing smog. Cough splutter choke. Oh look blood.
        The overpriced food I'd get used to I guess.
        It take me more than an hour or two to get on the piste.
        The crime. Stabbings, murder, no thank you.

The list goes on. Which is a shame given there's much to do in the city.

Not found a city yet the matches the quality of living to be found in Munich. Found an house last year but my goodness, €1.2million. At a push perhaps.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          If I wanted to I could buy in central London, Fulham appeals.

But what does not appeal is living in someone else's armpit. The overcrowding is off putting.
          The cancer causing smog. Cough splutter choke. Oh look blood.
          The overpriced food I'd get used to I guess.
          It take me more than an hour or two to get on the piste.
          The crime. Stabbings, murder, no thank you.

The list goes on. Which is a shame given there's much to do in the city.

Not found a city yet the matches the quality of living to be found in Munich. Found an house last year but my goodness, €1.2million. At a push perhaps.
          You couldn't afford to live in London, not unless it was in some cramped hovel.
          As for the other crap, I'm in the best of health, air quality in London is as good as any other city, unless you're part of some gang, you'll probably never be the victim of any crime. But seeing as you're crap at statistics, I wouldn't expect you to know any of that.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            , I'm in the best of health,
            Your mental health on here paints a different picture.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Your mental health on here paints a different picture.
              get a room you two!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                get a room you two!
                I can't afford one. Not at London prices.

Comment

I can't afford one. Not at London prices.
                  Call yourself a contractor
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Call yourself a contractor
                    I don't. I'm a freelancer.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      As for the other crap, I'm in the best of health, air quality in London is as good as any other city ...
                      Didn't you say you had moved from Wandsworth to "leafy Surrey"? I had you down as living in Sutton or Reigate or somewhere round there.

Mind you, the line between Surrey and London and Middlesex etc is pretty blurred these days. When I was a kid Wimbledon was definitely in Surrey, and not that long ago Middlesex ended at Temple Bar in Fleet Street.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X