• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Yasmin Alibhai Brown: the media must be controlled"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Appalling. I used to quite like her too.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    thin end of the wedge, if they aren't convicted of a suitable crime (Racial hatred, incitement etc) and are standing then they get as much air time as they can.

Otherwise the government / media will censor in their interests and we know where that leads.
    Griffin had been convicted of a suitable crime but they still put him on Question Time.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I think there is a case for a No Platform position when it comes to fascists, who are looking to abuse democratic freedoms to bring down democracy, but...

Farage is a democrat, so give him proportional access to the airwaves etc. to allow him to express his views.
    thin end of the wedge, if they aren't convicted of a suitable crime (Racial hatred, incitement etc) and are standing then they get as much air time as they can.

Otherwise the government / media will censor in their interests and we know where that leads.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    YAB is in a long line of Oxbridge arts grads, who've decided to make a living in the media as a type of "shock jock" - i.e. articulating their silly opinions to provoke a reaction and get publicity. Others are James Delingpole (on the opposite side of the spectrum) and Melanie Philips.
    I think they half believe the tulipe they spout - which goes to show an Oxbridge education is not what's it cracked up to be.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
    Something about controlling the media to stop Nigel Farage getting too much publicity. Can't watch it myself but it's only 18 seconds so would be innerested to see if it's as contentious as it sounds. Anyone care to do the honours?

Yasmin Alibhai-Brown: The media has to censor Nigel Farage - YouTube
    Lefty nutter, the worst of the worst:

Alibhai-Brown has attracted criticism for her views. Michael Wharton has accused her of an excessive pursuit of political correctness: "At 3.6 degrees on the Alibhai-Brown scale, it sets off a shrill scream that will not stop until you’ve pulled yourself together with a well-chosen anti-racist slogan." Stephen Pollard accused her of racism while calling her opinions "utterly vile" in The Spectator.

On 25 August 2008, she appeared on Five's The Wright Stuff discussion programme. In a discussion about an employment issue relating to white men, Yasmin Alibhai-Brown said: "Take his advice. Don't apply. It would be great if you lot just went away; white, middle class men. We'd just walk in wouldn't we." When challenged by the host for the day, Richard Bacon, "Is that not a racist comment?" she replied: "Of course".

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Then we have to listen to the monster raving llloney party. Thats you isn't it?
    And me!

Hello Brillo

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    It ought to be on proportion of the vote IMO.
    Then we have to listen to the monster raving llloney party. Thats you isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    0 seats in Westminster = 0 minutes airtime.
    Sounds fair.
    WHS. I think it's telling that UKIP haven't managed to convice a single Tory to cross the floor. Or is it that they're more concerned with up-ing their media profiles, than having a voice heard in Parliament.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I think there is a case for a No Platform position when it comes to fascists, who are looking to abuse democratic freedoms to bring down democracy, but...

Farage is a democrat, so give him proportional access to the airwaves etc. to allow him to express his views.
    He is more entertaining than the rest and he should therefore be given more time. He can only be regulated by the BBC the rest of the media can do what they like.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Proportional to his IQ?
    Radio airwaves are not small enough. Is the the lowest radio wavelength not 1mm?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Proportional to his IQ?
    He does come across as not very bright.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Proportional to his IQ?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    But we don't know what that is until after the election, and opinion polls are not entirely accurate.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Sounds fair.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Sounds fair.
    Although the next elections are European Parliament elections, where UKIP does have seats. In fact I'm led to believe that they have their own personal seats in a Brussels pub, engraved in their honour as the landlord hopes to achieve early retirement on the proceeds of their absence from their place of work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X