• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "No Man on Man Love for Firefox"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    I wonder if OKCupid will now see a retaliation in the form of anti-gay (mainly religious) hate-mail decreeing them a "gay site" rather than a "dating site". Which could be bad, because straight people probably wouldn't choose a "gay dating site" when so many others are around.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Serious failure of logic there, and you know it. I'm extremely pro gay marriage, that doesn't mean I have to be attracted to men.
    The same failure in logic that says that being against same-sex marriage means you are homophobic, yet a common rallying cry.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Serious failure of logic there, and you know it. I'm extremely pro gay marriage, that doesn't mean I have to be attracted to men.
    Do lipstick lesbians count ?

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    I wonder if OKCupid will start banning users who specify that they're only interested in relationships with members of the opposite sex - obviously, by doing so, those users are showing that they do not believe that all relationships are equal. Perhaps if those users have entered any employment details then OKCupid can start campaigns to boycott the companies those users belong to.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    I wonder if OKCupid will start banning users who specify that they're only interested in relationships with members of the opposite sex - obviously, by doing so, those users are showing that they do not believe that all relationships are equal. Perhaps if those users have entered any employment details then OKCupid can start campaigns to boycott the companies those users belong to.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    I'm the least homophobic person I know
    camp chocolate stabber!

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    homophobe
    hahaha! I'm the least homophobic person I know the same can't be said for the valley in which I live though, still people are entitled to their own views and who am I to change them.

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    When I was at university there was a no-platform for people who held opinions that the SU didn't agree with
    When I was at university they banned Mr Lover Man from the juke box in the union bar because Shabba said something on The Word, or something.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    homophobe
    You're a homophobephobe.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Everyone's entitled to their own views and choices I suppose unless it impacts directly on someone or something.

Firefox has always been my browser of choice and this won't influence me in changing.
    homophobe

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    It is, however, another example of the way that freedom of conscience is attacked nowadays.

The Mozilla CEO opposed gay marriage. He sponsored a movement that, through democratic means, passed a law banning gay marriage. He is now portayed as an opponent to equal rights and users are asked to avoid the product produced by the company he works for because of it. The company doesn't discriminate against homosexuals.

There's a whole other thread about it on here, but being opposed to gay marriage does not neccessarily mean being opposed to equal rights - you could be all for "civil partnerships" for all, with "marriage" being a religious add-on.

I haven't heard of him being accused of hate-speak, or workplace discrimination, yet somehow he is evil because he disagrees with a minority in a democracy.
    When I was at university there was a no-platform for people who held opinions that the SU didn't agree with. For hate speech, fair enough, but for everything else, it's just a matter of wanting to stifle any debate.

OKCupid have gone tumbling off any moral high ground they might have held by using such techniques. There's no discussion of trying to persuade people to their way of thinking, simply that if you don't agree with them, you're wrong. So much for moral relativism and tolerance.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    It is, however, another example of the way that freedom of conscience is attacked nowadays.

The Mozilla CEO opposed gay marriage. He sponsored a movement that, through democratic means, passed a law banning gay marriage. He is now portayed as an opponent to equal rights and users are asked to avoid the product produced by the company he works for because of it. The company doesn't discriminate against homosexuals.

There's a whole other thread about it on here, but being opposed to gay marriage does not neccessarily mean being opposed to equal rights - you could be all for "civil partnerships" for all, with "marriage" being a religious add-on.

I haven't heard of him being accused of hate-speak, or workplace discrimination, yet somehow he is evil because he disagrees with a minority in a democracy.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Everyone's entitled to their own views and choices I suppose unless it impacts directly on someone or something.

Firefox has always been my browser of choice and this won't influence me in changing.

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    BBC News - OKCupid seeks to block Mozilla Firefox over gay rights

Morally a great move, PR-wise even better, not sure of Firefox's market share but I imagine its not as big as IE, Chrome or Safari so exclude a small number of your customers for a lot of free publicity

Hmmm...inneresting.

I don't know what Firefox's market share is but it always has been and will continue to be my browser of preference.

IE is very resource greedy as well as being complete cack and don't even get me started on non compliance of w3 standards.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Using FireFox since first version and really they got serious issue with it getting super slow very quickly - FFS, engineers there should focus on that in the first place!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X