• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should she stay, or should she go now?"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    She did indeed.

I'm now waiting for some criminal of a similar age who is on benefits and who has no hope for the future being given the right to remain.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Well she went...

BBC News - Student Yashika Bageerathi deported to Mauritius

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Does anyone know whether an injunction can create a precedent? I thought a court case sets a precedent, whereas an injunction is a court order.

But I really don't know a great deal about the law so if anyone can advise, it would be interesting to know.
    +1

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    so Ober Dicta is pointless, I'll tell the Law Society.

I agree its probably a stretch, but even if it doesn't go anywhere it gives a clever lawyer a reason to hold up deportation for months in a similar case and garner support.
    Does anyone know whether an injunction can create a precedent? I thought a court case sets a precedent, whereas an injunction is a court order.

But I really don't know a great deal about the law so if anyone can advise, it would be interesting to know.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    The high court is however the first stop for these injunctions...... As such there is nothing binding lower courts and anything binding is only the case if they are 100% identical (which they will never be)...
    so Ober Dicta is pointless, I'll tell the Law Society.

I agree its probably a stretch, but even if it doesn't go anywhere it gives a clever lawyer a reason to hold up deportation for months in a similar case and garner support.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Which part of obiter dicta do you not understand?
    The high court is however the first stop for these injunctions...... As such there is nothing binding lower courts and anything binding is only the case if they are 100% identical (which they will never be)...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    which part of precedent have you not quite grasped. The high court doesn't set precedent, as its decisions do not bind others.....
    Which part of obiter dicta do you not understand?

Courts may consider obiter dicta in opinions of higher courts. Dicta of a higher court, though not binding, will often be persuasive to lower courts.
    The obiter dicta is usually translated as "other things said", but due to the high number of judges and several personal decisions, it is often hard to distinguish from the ratio decidendi (reason for the decision).
    For this reason, the obiter dicta may usually be taken into consideration.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    The injunction is being applied for in the high court. Not sure why you think this is below other courts?
    which part of precedent have you not quite grasped. The high court doesn't set precedent, as its decisions do not bind others.....

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    The court this case was being appealed at is a long way below the ones that create precedent.

I really do worry about the general knowledge of many people on this site.... Especially when you think the people here are more intelligent than the general public

No wonder people believe those tax scams....
    The injunction is being applied for in the high court. Not sure why you think this is below other courts?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Its quite simple by the sounds of it.

Just answer no to the question did you pack this bag yourself ....

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It appears Air Mauritius wouldn't take her either.
    Its quite simple by the sounds of it.

Just answer no to the question did you pack this bag yourself ....

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    But it's an executive/political decision (if made by Home Secretary), not a judicial decision, so there is no judicial precedent.
    Stop. You're confusing him. Go slowly.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    The court this case was being appealed at is a long way below the ones that create precedent.

I really do worry about the general knowledge of many people on this site.... Especially when you think the people here are more intelligent than the general public

No wonder people believe those tax scams....
    Last edited by eek; 1 April 2014, 09:52.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    It appears Air Mauritius wouldn't take her either.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    So if we let her stay every lawyer will cite this situation as a precedent until some judge agrees.
    But it's an executive/political decision (if made by Home Secretary), not a judicial decision, so there is no judicial precedent.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X