• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Give us your wonga to keep the NHS longer"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    If it's anything that could be serious go straight to hospital, you will be seen quicker
    we did that, our little one at 6 months was coughing badly so we took her to the doctor picked up some penicillin, she would be better in a couple of days apparently. A couple of nights later she was having trouble breathing at 4am so my wife took her down to A&E she was put on oxygen & ventolene.

she recovered fine and 2 days later my wife got a call demanding to know why my wife didn't wait to go to her doctor as the A&E is for emergencies, she was quite restrained on the phone.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    No, but it will just about cover the cost of collecting the tax and prosecuting people for non payment.

A similar example is the London congestion charge which brings in revenues of £250 million per year but costs £130 million to administer leaving very little profit for TfL. There is probably a fair amount of wastage in the collection of revenue and enforcement of the tax disc that vehicles have to display though the government are too stupid to scrap that either.
    Yes but the point of the congestion charge is to stop congestion, not to raise revenue. Even if an extra NHS tax ran at a net loss, if the end result was making the NHS operate much better, it'd be worth it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    A similar example is the London congestion charge which brings in revenues of £250 million per year but costs £130 million to administer leaving very little profit for TfL.
    £130m is quite a lot.
    There is probably a fair amount of wastage in the collection of revenue and enforcement of the tax disc that vehicles have to display though the government are too stupid to scrap that either.
    Except they already did.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by kal View Post
    I would pay that if I could ring up in the morning and see my GP the same day! Last time I rang up the earliest appointment they had was 4 days later, I would likely be better (or dead!) by then...
    If it's anything that could be serious go straight to hospital, you will be seen quicker

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    More to the point will a tenner a month actually cover the cost? I think not...
    No, but it will just about cover the cost of collecting the tax and prosecuting people for non payment.

A similar example is the London congestion charge which brings in revenues of £250 million per year but costs £130 million to administer leaving very little profit for TfL. There is probably a fair amount of wastage in the collection of revenue and enforcement of the tax disc that vehicles have to display though the government are too stupid to scrap that either.

How governments ever think it's a good idea to raise tulipty little taxes here there and everywhere is way beyond me.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Perhaps if there was a small charge to see your GP the waiting room at the surgery wouldn't so full to begin with
    If we had more GPs to cover for the fact lots of them - both male and female - are part-timers now then maybe you wouldn't have to wait a week.

May be we will have to decrease GPs pay again and import doctors from abroad like in the 70s. Lots of Polish doctors speak English.....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    You'd think so but seeing as prescriptions are free in Wales, doctor's waiting rooms are full to capacity most of the time.
    I didn't realise you were talking about Wales. Everyone's on benefits so wouldn't have to pay the charge anyway.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Absolwent
    Belvedere
    Cracovia

ah yes I forgot those - most Poles seem to be on them - no wonder liver disease is increasing on the NHS.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    A token charge might help, but those on free healthcare would still not have to pay. Considering those in work have to take time off or go to the trouble to get to an appointment though, I don't think the majority are just strolling in over ever sneeze or itch in the first place.
    You'd think so but seeing as prescriptions are free in Wales, doctor's waiting rooms are full to capacity most of the time.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Really? And can you name some of these clinically-trialled drugs that were invented in Poland?
    Absolwent
    Belvedere
    Cracovia

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Perhaps if there was a small charge to see your GP the waiting room at the surgery wouldn't so full to begin with
    A token charge might help, but those on free healthcare would still not have to pay. Considering those in work have to take time off or go to the trouble to get to an appointment though, I don't think the majority are just strolling in over ever sneeze or itch in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by mos View Post
    What?????? If by recent immigrants you mean people like me, you just make me laugh. We have million times better doctors and nurses than UK and our drugs actually used to work. That is until Glaxo put their hands on our Polfa. I am in BUPA, but If I am seriously unwell and I need something checked and treated, be it dental, optical, tests or general issues, I always go home, where I know that I will be treated by the best.

You can enjoy that in UK version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR8tIjTykbE
    Really? And can you name some of these clinically-trialled drugs that were invented in Poland?

Leave a comment:

• mos
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    No mention of the recent influx of immigrants given instant free access to first world health care often to correct congenital defects - or the health tourists
    What?????? If by recent immigrants you mean people like me, you just make me laugh. We have million times better doctors and nurses than UK and our drugs actually used to work. That is until Glaxo put their hands on our Polfa. I am in BUPA, but If I am seriously unwell and I need something checked and treated, be it dental, optical, tests or general issues, I always go home, where I know that I will be treated by the best.

You can enjoy that in UK version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR8tIjTykbE

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    The problem here is that any suggestion of payment for healthcare gets portrayed as an attack on the poor, or the welfare state, or as part of a big right-wing elitist conspiracy and becomes a major political issue (even though we already pay for prescriptions, and indeed parking at hospitals). Whereas clearly having a small fee works pretty well for the French, doesn't appear to cause terrible harm to the poor or anyone else, and more importantly makes the standard of care much higher.
    That's it in a nutshell. For anyone who works in Health Economics it's clear the UK system is unsustainable in its present form.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X