• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Silver linings & broken windows"

Collapse

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Also, I wonder what their home insurance quotes will look like at renewal time.
    They'll probably be fine. I'm sure I heard something recently about how people who suffer from flooding shouldn't be denied insurance, or charged extortionate premiums, and the government will make sure this is so.

Of course, that would mean everyone who has chosen to live somewhere that doesn't get flooded has to pay more, as a "flood subsidy", but nevermind - we wouldn't want people to feel any consequences for their choices.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    annoying as it is the claimants will hopefully end up with a rewired, re-plastered and re-carpeted house so I suppose that is a silver lining for them. ..
    But what if the same thing happens again before long? The phrase Damocles Sword comes to mind.

Also, I wonder what their home insurance quotes will look like at renewal time.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Are you retarded? Those people only have the money BECAUSE of the flooding.

Oh, it's SO. Question a little redundant.
    No, they don't. They have money because the government paid them to clean up floods instead of paying them to make icecream.

Originally posted by expat
    Ce qu'on voit et ce qu'on ne voit pas.
    Read this.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    Those people could have been spending government released funds making icecream. But instead there is terrible misery and the would be icecream makers have to clean up the mess instead of making icecream.

No silver linings there.
    Are you retarded? Those people only have the money BECAUSE of the flooding.

Oh, it's SO. Question a little redundant.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Those people could have been spending government released funds making icecream. But instead there is terrible misery and the would be icecream makers have to clean up the mess instead of making icecream.

No silver linings there.
    Ce qu'on voit et ce qu'on ne voit pas.

Justement.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    If you're out of work, and the government releases funds which mean you can get a job cleaning up the mess, that's a good thing for you personally.

How hard is that to understand?

No silver linings there.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by GreyWolf View Post
    I don't suppose the average BBC talking head has ever heard of Bastiat.
    You beat me to that one. I recommend Bastiat's The Law as an informative read.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    annoying as it is the claimants will hopefully end up with a rewired, re-plastered and re-carpeted house so I suppose that is a silver lining for them. The work created will benefit local tradesmen. The cloud is the disruption and the cost to Insurance companies.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Clearly you don't know what the phrase "silver lining" means.

But since you think the flooding is being sorted out by hiring a few unemployed cleaners, you're obviously an idiot anyway so this isn't a surprise.

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    If you're out of work, and the government releases funds which mean you can get a job cleaning up the mess, that's a good thing for you personally.

Well it would appear, for you at least, quite difficult.

You are looking at the microcosm of an unemployed cleaner, but in whole picture there has been a net loss through destruction by flood. The money diverted by govt. to pay the cleaner is simply not spent elsewhere. Developing renewable energy for example. Research into cold fusion. Cures for cancer. Sustainable food sourcing. Long term infrastructure projects... etc, etc, etc,

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GreyWolf
    replied
    I don't suppose the average BBC talking head has ever heard of Bastiat. Economics begins with Marx and ends with Keynes for them.

Having said that, Marx and Keynes weren't that stupid.

Leave a comment:

• Freaki Li Cuatre
    replied
    Just saw the BBC news calling all the new work created to clean up the mess from the flooding a 'silver lining'. Seems more like a kick in the nuts to me.

I don't get how people actually believe anything those talking heads say.
    Because if you repeat things over and over again, the proles will start to believe it.

How do you think our politicos manage to cling to power?

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    Well I spent last weekend hosing out my garage and throwing stuff in a skip, and to add insult to injury picked up some kind of stomach bug and have lost three days billing this week.

I fail to see any sign of a silver lining, but thanks anyway BBC for helping us to look on the bright side

The people who rummage around in skips for scrap metal are all over the area like flies, so I suppose they're having a field day...

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    started a topic Silver linings & broken windows

Silver linings & broken windows

Just saw the BBC news calling all the new work created to clean up the mess from the flooding a 'silver lining'. Seems more like a kick in the nuts to me.

I don't get how people actually believe anything those talking heads say.

Working...
X