• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Superb idea for Government Infrastructure project - Bypass M62"

Collapse

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    In other words outsource to India
    Not all the time. I work from home and see the client on a regular basis, once a month for 3 days. They also know if there is a problem I can be there in a couple of hours if required.

Leave a comment:

• Magpie252
    replied
    There were plans to by-pass the M62 back in the late 80's / early 90's

Pathetic Motorways

They don't build roads & ask us to use Public Transport

Hang on, we still have trains right? Campaigners fury as nine TransPennine Express trains sent south in

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Magpie252 View Post
    I did a 5 month gig commuting between Warrington & Bradford, 50 miles, as other have said it’s a nightmare, on a good day 1.5/2 hours (right on my limit for commuting), on a bad day 6 hours+

If you do decide to commute I strongly advise you to avoid the M6/M62 Croft Interchange & the M62 stretch to the M60 , take the A49 Winwick Rd & cut across to the A580 East Lancs. Rd, this joins the M60 just after the M61 junction.

On a good day you won’t save any time, but then good days are 1 in 10 so this will save at least 30min - 1hour.

Traffic is then normally OK until just before the M62/M606 junction for Bradford, I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes a further hour to get into Leeds from there.
    If you see the traffic ahead, you can normally take the M606, Rooley Lane to Laisterdyke, towards Leeds to New Pudsey, Stanningley bypass and you're practically in Leeds.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Yeah because doing something like that would be really stupid

So we are all in agreement - it is indeed an awesome idea!

Let's get a petition sorted and a movement. Who knows, CUK could actually make a difference to the world (as well as getting me some lucrative gigs).

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Gym beast View Post
    "Ladyboys and gentlemen, although it is still only March, I am pleased to announce (opens envelope) the award for the World's Dumbest Idea 2014 goes to..."

Well ok it's a nice idea, but hopelessly naïve. Boring and/or blasting an 8-lane motorway grade road, through the thousands of tons of hard mountain rock at that depth required would be a project overrunning closer to a 20-30 billion, rather than the 5-10 billion the dopers at the DOT would buy into.

Propose it to them, then proj-manage it. You'd be far happier/richer doing that, rather than actually (eventually) using it.
    Yeah because doing something like that would be really stupid

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    I did a 5 month gig commuting between Warrington & Bradford, 50 miles, as other have said it’s a nightmare, on a good day 1.5/2 hours (right on my limit for commuting), on a bad day 6 hours+

If you do decide to commute I strongly advise you to avoid the M6/M62 Croft Interchange & the M62 stretch to the M60 , take the A49 Winwick Rd & cut across to the A580 East Lancs. Rd, this joins the M60 just after the M61 junction.

On a good day you won’t save any time, but then good days are 1 in 10 so this will save at least 30min - 1hour.

Traffic is then normally OK until just before the M62/M606 junction for Bradford, I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes a further hour to get into Leeds from there.
    It's worse than that I'm expecting my missus to give me a lift to the station in Warrington, if I have to drive I'm going to be coming from Denbighshire which will be a complete PITA

I'm just trying to avoid working away from home in London, the missus gets grumpy

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied

That would actually cause me a nervous breakdown......

Leave a comment:

• Magpie252
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    Just for commuting the missus will be in Warrington, can get a train from there to Manchester then onto Leeds. If it turns up it's a close call between getting digs or commuting by train

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    I've ****ed it off for the train at the minute - complete joke of a road.
    It's more of a mountain path than a road if you ask me.....

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Had to smile when I said M62 was great and then heard it had locked up due to an overturned car on the news on the way home tonight
    I heard it on 5 live on the way home as well and I was like: "NULK is bonkers if he thinks the M62 is ok"

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    I've ****ed it off for the train at the minute - complete joke of a road.

Leave a comment:

• the_rangdo
    replied
    Thankfully only doing Rochdale to Manchester currently, but I used to dread the M62 eastbound at this time of year.

Just as you get to the top at jn22/Ripponden you get the happy combination of the outer 4th lane merging in (cue the eejits that have to push in and instantly brake hard) and the early morning sun beaming directly at you (cue everyone braking hard as they can't see where they're going).

How there aren't more shunts I'll never know.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Had to smile when I said M62 was great and then heard it had locked up due to an overturned car on the news on the way home tonight

Leave a comment:

• Gym beast
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Following many journeys of excruciating suffering on the M62, I have finally come up with a master plan which will yield economic and social benefits on numerous levels.

Here is the outline for my awesome plan:

Problem: M62 is a nightmare and the worst motorway in the universe with endless accidents, delays, congestion both ways between Leeds and Manchester

Solution: Build a tunnel which goes under the Pennines between the North of Manchester and the centre of Leeds

Benefits:
    - Project will produce jobs and improve the economy
    - The commute to Leeds/Manchester will not be subject to snow, wind and rain all combined to produce the most dangerous journey known to man. Instead the tunnel will be sheltered and the journey will be smooth
    - Economic activity between Leeds and Manchester (and hence the North as a whole) will grow for decades to come
    - I will be able to accept gigs in Leeds without the thought of the M62 putting me into a convulsive state resulting in a mental breakdown and hours of emotional wreckage
    - Leeds United supporters will finally make the switch to supporting a proper football team (Manchester United).
    - Yorkshire tea supplies could be sent to Manchester quickly in the event of an emergency shortage
    - And plenty of other benefits I am sure you could all think of....

"Ladyboys and gentlemen, although it is still only March, I am pleased to announce (opens envelope) the award for the World's Dumbest Idea 2014 goes to..."

Well ok it's a nice idea, but hopelessly naïve. Boring and/or blasting an 8-lane motorway grade road, through the thousands of tons of hard mountain rock at that depth required would be a project overrunning closer to a 20-30 billion, rather than the 5-10 billion the dopers at the DOT would buy into.

Propose it to them, then proj-manage it. You'd be far happier/richer doing that, rather than actually (eventually) using it.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Haha Colin Compton, Give Order! I have seen my dad in tears laughing at reruns of WT&SC.

I'm on the gig from hell at the moment and have the pleasure of using the M62 (from M6 to M1).

Monday not too bad 1h 30ish, (96 miles) but last friday was over 2hrs to get home.

4 weeks and then I can bail when the new permie starts.

qh

Leave a comment:

Working...
X