• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I Work With a Pedant"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Not specifically.

Having just foogled it, it appears you are thinking in reverse to me.
    It's a Microsoft web framework; it's in reverse to the way anybody thinks.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    GG just wants to hit a deadline and put a pin in the quality. I know of plenty of contractors like that. The 80/20 brigade.

I suppose in this case, each edge case would have to be risk assessed to see if it would make the project miss the deadline, which in this case sounds like it carries some significant penalty.

I wonder how the execs would feel if the deadline was missed because of an edge case that in reality meant bugger all?

Need a process in place to triage these edge cases. Then you are diligent and efficient, and have MTT off your case
    Ah yes. When faced with a critical deadline, start creating lots of documentation.

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
    So the issue is that he wants to do the thing right, and you want to do it quickly?

What happens if the string isn't unique? What are the implications if you are wrong, even though you "know" that you aren't?
    If the script is already registered with the given type and key, any other with the same type and key will not get registered. Nothing else in this application registers client script though. If it were a requirement then they could do it with another unique string literal. Writing logic to build some unique string is overkill IMO.

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Originally posted by zoco View Post
    So who's going to do the appallingly in bad taste "I work with a pedo" thread?
    paedo

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by zoco View Post
    You're kidding.

Leave a comment:

• zoco
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
    March 1st

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    This is all in all a very interesting thread but all I want to know is 'When am I getting my app.'
    March 1st

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
    Maybe edge case was the wrong term to use, especially when there are testers listening in!

As an example, I injected some JavaScript from a server control - to do this you register the script using a unique key. In this instance I used a string literal as the key. His argument was that we should be dynamically building the key to ensure uniqueness. Well, yes it's best practice but in a piece of code that is completely self contained and will only ever inject this one script then why bother? Why introduce extra logic? It isn't going to break anything and we need to get this out the door pronto.

Another obsession of his is people on slow connections. He took time out to redesign buttons on another part of the site (for which he had no remit) to change the colour of their backgrounds while the page was loading so the user could read the button text.

Again, fair enough but the whole site is a warts and all application and his fine tuning everything is just holding us up.

Fortunately, the client is aware of this as I have his ear on this one.
    So the issue is that he wants to do the thing right, and you want to do it quickly?

What happens if the string isn't unique? What are the implications if you are wrong, even though you "know" that you aren't?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    This is all in all a very interesting thread but all I want to know is 'When am I getting my app.'

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
    Aren't you familiar with RegisterClientScript in asp.net web forms?
    Not specifically.

Having just foogled it, it appears you are thinking in reverse to me.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    yes indeed we have these - I often find there are two ways to do things

the fully correct way which takes longer but makes the system more robust and future proof.

or

the way which gives the user the functionality they want

after all who knows what the future holds....

also doing the first one commits you to future apps/solutions and therefore future costs.

hmm as always choices choices!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    listen, record decision, tell him he can do nothing without authorisation. You let him rewrite code, bad PM!

If he is right you discussed it and the team decided against it because of time constraints, if his predictions don't come true then great.

He has a use because he will spot some doozies but he is also hard work, its a trade off.

The speed thing is classic, the definition of 'good enough' has to be accepted by the users. You just test on your slowest link and record it (media encoder is you friend) , play it back to Stakeholder and get them to say yes because to redevelop will take too long. If its too slow later then you have a get out of jail free card. Total time 30 mins and the pedant can do it.

I am the Pedant on a current project, but the points I raise come true fairly quickly after I raise them (I don't even have to prod).

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I think you'll find "pedant" isn't the correct word.
    Oh he is, he's an awful pedant.

Can't keep his sticky beak out of anything anyone else is doing.

I'm sat there the other day happily typing away , unaware of his presence behind me.

"why are you using server side label controls?" he barked ( he has an annoying habit of coming along and stuffing his face in your screen).

Because I need to conditionally apply a CSS class server side. That's why. If I didn't have to do this I'd use a span instead. (now sod off I'm thinking to myself)

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    See post #22
    It woz a wetowickal kweschun innit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X