• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Extra time and expense due to office move - Some questions"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Why would a permie be able to claim for travelling to work? They have even LESS of a case IMO.
    Nah, it's harder with permies. Their workplace is often detailed in the contracts so it's a change to contract as well as the hearts and minds aspect. Companies spend a lot of money working with pissed off permies that have had their workplace moved. I've seen everything from WFH, travel time included in day, travel expenses and relocation expenses being offered to permies to keep them sweet during office relocation. Company will(ish) bend over backwards for them. Saying that, all the office moves I have dealt with were more than 30 mins away.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    +1 to this. You are company providing services to a client, not a permie. If you don't want to provide services to them because it is further away you walk. If you want to carry on you suck it up and carry on.
    Why would a permie be able to claim for travelling to work? They have even LESS of a case IMO.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    +1 to this. You are company providing services to a client, not a permie. If you don't want to provide services to them because it is further away you walk. If you want to carry on you suck it up and carry on.
    Precisely if you contracted a 'real company' say a builder to work at address A every day for an extended contract and then half way through the contract tell them please send your guys 30 minutes further away and you can pay their expenses its likely the builder would turn round and ask for more. I have seen exactly that situation on a number of big sites where conditions changed and the first thing the PM said was 'it'll cost you' and the customers paid. I have done it myself when contracting.

If its within Central London then your contract covered it, if its outside then why not ask for more if you can? If they mentioned the move before the hire then it would seem a little rude to turn round and say its too far now.

If you don't have to bend over and you are big enough to take the consequences if they refuse then its just business.

as jmo & I said ask to work from home part of the week especially if there is a culture of doing so. That is the easiest thing for your client manager to approve as it has no budget impact, however make sure you make your deliverables very visible and then deliver!

They sound unlikely to say no outright if you are in a situation they changed without consulting you. They might balk but it might be worth a try.

and yes I couldn't spell cojones sorry.

I'm a permie who lives 5 miles from work. I work from home >90% of the time because I negotiated hard at a time when we were laying off 15-20% of the workforce.

Leave a comment:

• RickRow
    replied
    Ok that's not so bad. Being the only contractor with 3.5 years in I would be extremely cautious of IR35 and be extremely anal about trying to stay out. From what you have said it looks like you are part and parcel of the organisation, particularly with you wanting some compensation for the move.

Be extra vigilant with your IR35 status. This could be an opportunity to gather some evidence to prove you are not.
    I haven't yet done my due diligence in regards to IR35 but will make sure I find the time. I appreciate the advice.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by RickRow View Post
    There is a contract expirey, with the possibility of an extension.
    Ok that's not so bad. Being the only contractor with 3.5 years in I would be extremely cautious of IR35 and be extremely anal about trying to stay out. From what you have said it looks like you are part and parcel of the organisation, particularly with you wanting some compensation for the move.

Be extra vigilant with your IR35 status. This could be an opportunity to gather some evidence to prove you are not.

Leave a comment:

• RickRow
    replied
    Well if it is indefinite then you must be inside IR35 so have an argument for permie conditions so ask them for the travel time IMO.
    There is a contract expirey, with the possibility of an extension.

Leave a comment:

• RickRow
    replied
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Well if it is indefinite then you must be inside IR35 so have an argument for permie conditions so ask them for the travel time IMO.

Leave a comment:

• RickRow
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    You can demand whatever you like. Whether you get it or not is another thing.

Your actual contract and how valued you are will decide how likely they would be to accommodate your request.

If you are a jobbing contractor, doing noddy business CRUD apps (like me!) you'll likely get told where to go.

If you have a niche, expensive skill, they might be quite happy and understanding to sort something out.

If the first, asking for a rate rise may not work, but this might be a really good time to ask to work from home 2 days a week.
    I'm the only contractor working on the current project and I'd say almost indispensable at the moment. Requesting working from home could be a good option. Thanks for the reply.

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
    What does your contract say about location? What does your contract say about expenses?

Mine says that I have a normal office, and they will pay expenses for travel to any other office location. I normally include my time in that as well, but that's things like travelling to London rather than Manchester; flying to Toronto for meetings etc.

For an extra 30 minutes, I'm not sure I'd be that fussed, to be honest.
    Location wise the contract states my place of work will be "xxx address or any other location within Central London as required by the Company from time to time"

30 minutes isn't a great deal, but it will add up on a weekly basis. And it's my time I'm not invoicing for.

Thanks for the reply

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    How long left on contract? - is it worth the fight?

was this mooted before you started?

can you use it to get a couple of days working at home (that affects no ones budget).

How bad do they need you? - how much leverage do you have?

how big are your cahunnas?

and the important questions:

Do you like films about Gladiators?

Can you Bleed a radiator?

Have you ever licked the chutney spoon and put it back?
    Contract length is indefinite. I think working from home is looking like the best option. I'm not actually needed in the office 95% of the time.

I have good leverage, I'm the sole developer on a project they are urgent to complete.

Cahunnas > Large

I enjoy films about Gladiators

I can bleed a radiator, with a good set of instructions

Never lick a spoon if putting it back.

Thanks for the reply.

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    if they had moved closer, would you have stormed in and demanded a rate reduction ?

just suck it up big boy
    No. If they had requested I take a rate reduction, would I have complained? Probably, but I would understand. Thanks for the reply.

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
    you would be given your notice, and if you asked it would be told No way
    Encouraging. Thanks for the reply.

Think I'll look at requesting a work from home arrangement. Perhaps for a couple days a week.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by RickRow View Post
    Currently based in London and client has decided to move office. My daily journey to and from the workplace now takes me an extra 30 minutes and costs a negligible amount more in travel expenses.

Fairly new to contracting so I'm looking for a little advice this. Should I demand my additional travel time to be covered in my daily rate?

Thanks

That sounds appalling, but some employers take the P out of contractors. I know one contractor who was not even offered a company car!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    WHS

Although I thought NLUK would ask 'are you sure you're really cut out to be a contractor?'

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    if they had moved closer, would you have stormed in and demanded a rate reduction ?

just suck it up big boy

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    and more important, how big are your cojones?
    of Kanhunas

I miss this discussion

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

how big are your cahunnas?

and more important, how big are your cojones?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    See thread tag.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X