• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Commuting Via Car to Heathrow from East London"

Collapse

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by mobad View Post
    What times were/are you waking up to get to work and how long did it take to adjust to the new routine?
    Now I get up 6:50am, am out by 7:15am (so I miss the local build up of traffic). At work by 8:30am. Leave at 4:30pm if not earlier (they operate a 35 hour week and I usually exceed that anyway). I am back home before 6pm. Because I went up in rate by around 20% that does help a lot and there is a lot of mileage I can claim (not to mention breaking the 2 year rule). Also after 18 months at one place you do need a change! There is little chance of this role lasting beyond the 3 months so the end is insight already anyway...... How long is the gig for?

Leave a comment:

• mobad
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I went through this problem before I started my current gig. Was working 25 mins away - used to get up 7:50am, take mini NWP2C to nursery on the way (added an extra 10 mins to journey) and be in work before 9am. Could also leave 4:30pm and be back for 5pm. That contract finished and I ended up finding a gig that was 60 miles away and an 80 minute commute. In the end I started to enjoy the commute as I made use of that time more and was mentally ready for the extra time. Also the work itself has been a lot more enjoyable.
    What times were/are you waking up to get to work and how long did it take to adjust to the new routine?

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    I struggle the best of days to get more than 5-6hrs of sleep and for the past few years if I wake up earlier than 7:30 I tend to feel tired for the rest of the day....(Having a Job for the past 5 years within 30-40mins commute time door to door clearly wont be helping my cause!)
    I went through this problem before I started my current gig. Was working 25 mins away - used to get up 7:50am, take mini NWP2C to nursery on the way (added an extra 10 mins to journey) and be in work before 9am. Could also leave 4:30pm and be back for 5pm. That contract finished and I ended up finding a gig that was 60 miles away and an 70 minute commute. In the end I started to enjoy the commute as I made use of that time more and was mentally ready for the extra time. Also the work itself has been a lot more enjoyable.
    Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 20 January 2014, 11:04.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I struggle the best of days to get more than 5-6hrs of sleep and for the past few years if I wake up earlier than 7:30 I tend to feel tired for the rest of the day....(Having a Job for the past 5 years within 30-40mins commute time door to door clearly wont be helping my cause!)
    Think it's age too, I need far less sleep now than I used to. So all you have to do is get old!

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by socialworker View Post
    Looking out of my parents' window at 08.13 traffic moving well on the A406 at Hangar Lane. Main bottleneck is Ealing Common though, have you considered M25?

You are having a laugh right?

Leave a comment:

• mobad
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I have five kids! Only three left at home though!

Oddly enough, prior to having kids I was a lie-er in-er, used to wake not be able to see properly for 30 mins (mist in eyes!) and could easily lie in until 3/4 in the afternoon if no-one prompted me.

Now it's impossible, even when I'm alone in the house and no need to get up, 8:30 is latest I can manage no matter how I try. Used to love my lie-ins

I will try changing my body clock and routine so that I am sleeping by 10pm and up for 5:30 and out of the house latest by 6:30.
    Maybe the A406 will be quieter before 7?

Will my tomtom live be any benefit for predicting trends and giving the best fastest route?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Clearly you do not have any kids!
    I have five kids! Only three left at home though!

Oddly enough, prior to having kids I was a lie-er in-er, used to wake not be able to see properly for 30 mins (mist in eyes!) and could easily lie in until 3/4 in the afternoon if no-one prompted me.

Now it's impossible, even when I'm alone in the house and no need to get up, 8:30 is latest I can manage no matter how I try. Used to love my lie-ins

Leave a comment:

• mobad
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Just call the agency and tell them to cancel the contract because you're a lazy fecker and can't be arsed getting up.
    Clearly you do not have any kids!

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by socialworker View Post
    My father is dying.
    That is very commendable that you are looking after your father.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Just call the agency and tell them to cancel the contract because you're a lazy fecker and can't be arsed getting up.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    I have been offered a fantastic long term contract near Heathrow airport.

I live in Chingford, East London and wanted to know what might be the best routes of commuting to around the Heathrow/Cranford area?

I would be starting work at 9am so realistically looking to leave home around 7-7:30 each day.

Google maps seems to think the A503 is the quickest commute - 1hr20mins
    A406 - 1hr30mins inc heavy traffic

Most people I have spoken to said to avoid the A406 between 7-9:30 as traffic will be absolutely chuck a block. ..

Any experiences/ suggestions pls?
    Don't. Ignore what the mapping apps say, that journey will be a nightmare by car in peak hours. I did it years ago (Ilford to West Drayton) and it was leaving at 6:30 to arrive at 09:00 and that wasn't reliable. If you really must drive the do it earlier rather than later.

If there are no Tubes or Trains in easy walking distance at either end then get yourself a folding bike or take the bus to the station. In the long term is will work out much easier.
    Last edited by DaveB; 20 January 2014, 11:07.

Leave a comment:

• mobad
    replied
    I will be able to start between 7-10 as flexible working is something the company promotes but I would prefer to start around 9, if possible.

I am not an early riser, so waking up at 5:30 to get out by 6:30 may prove difficult.

M25 is double the distance (40+ miles one way).

Unfortunately no train station near by and woukd work out longer if I would use the train then bus (1hr40mins)....

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Isn't it about time you moved out and got yourself your own place and a girlfriend? Take your cats with you.
    Yours, I think?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I have been offered a fantastic long term contract near Heathrow airport.

I live in Chingford, East London and wanted to know what might be the best routes of commuting to around the Heathrow/Cranford area?

I would be starting work at 9am so realistically looking to leave home around 7-7:30 each day.

Google maps seems to think the A503 is the quickest commute - 1hr20mins
    A406 - 1hr30mins inc heavy traffic

Most people I have spoken to said to avoid the A406 between 7-9:30 as traffic will be absolutely chuck a block. ..

Any experiences/ suggestions pls?
    I used to commute Brentwood to Stockley Park every day. I strongly recommend arranging to arrive at 10 and leave later. (Arriving early and leaving early means that people who arrive later think your skiving off).

Leave a comment:

• socialworker
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Isn't it about time you moved out and got yourself your own place and a girlfriend? Take your cats with you.
    My father is dying.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X