• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commuting Via Car to Heathrow from East London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
    My father is dying.
    That is very commendable that you are looking after your father.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Just call the agency and tell them to cancel the contract because you're a lazy fecker and can't be arsed getting up.
      Clearly you do not have any kids!

Comment

Originally posted by mobad View Post
        Clearly you do not have any kids!
        I have five kids! Only three left at home though!

Oddly enough, prior to having kids I was a lie-er in-er, used to wake not be able to see properly for 30 mins (mist in eyes!) and could easily lie in until 3/4 in the afternoon if no-one prompted me.

Now it's impossible, even when I'm alone in the house and no need to get up, 8:30 is latest I can manage no matter how I try. Used to love my lie-ins

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          I have five kids! Only three left at home though!

Oddly enough, prior to having kids I was a lie-er in-er, used to wake not be able to see properly for 30 mins (mist in eyes!) and could easily lie in until 3/4 in the afternoon if no-one prompted me.

Now it's impossible, even when I'm alone in the house and no need to get up, 8:30 is latest I can manage no matter how I try. Used to love my lie-ins
          I struggle the best of days to get more than 5-6hrs of sleep and for the past few years if I wake up earlier than 7:30 I tend to feel tired for the rest of the day....(Having a Job for the past 5 years within 30-40mins commute time door to door clearly wont be helping my cause!)

I will try changing my body clock and routine so that I am sleeping by 10pm and up for 5:30 and out of the house latest by 6:30.
          Maybe the A406 will be quieter before 7?

Will my tomtom live be any benefit for predicting trends and giving the best fastest route?

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
            Looking out of my parents' window at 08.13 traffic moving well on the A406 at Hangar Lane. Main bottleneck is Ealing Common though, have you considered M25?

You are having a laugh right?

Comment

I struggle the best of days to get more than 5-6hrs of sleep and for the past few years if I wake up earlier than 7:30 I tend to feel tired for the rest of the day....(Having a Job for the past 5 years within 30-40mins commute time door to door clearly wont be helping my cause!)
              Think it's age too, I need far less sleep now than I used to. So all you have to do is get old!

Comment

I went through this problem before I started my current gig. Was working 25 mins away - used to get up 7:50am, take mini NWP2C to nursery on the way (added an extra 10 mins to journey) and be in work before 9am. Could also leave 4:30pm and be back for 5pm. That contract finished and I ended up finding a gig that was 60 miles away and an 70 minute commute. In the end I started to enjoy the commute as I made use of that time more and was mentally ready for the extra time. Also the work itself has been a lot more enjoyable.
                Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 20 January 2014, 11:04.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                  I went through this problem before I started my current gig. Was working 25 mins away - used to get up 7:50am, take mini NWP2C to nursery on the way (added an extra 10 mins to journey) and be in work before 9am. Could also leave 4:30pm and be back for 5pm. That contract finished and I ended up finding a gig that was 60 miles away and an 80 minute commute. In the end I started to enjoy the commute as I made use of that time more and was mentally ready for the extra time. Also the work itself has been a lot more enjoyable.
                  What times were/are you waking up to get to work and how long did it take to adjust to the new routine?

Comment

What times were/are you waking up to get to work and how long did it take to adjust to the new routine?
                    Now I get up 6:50am, am out by 7:15am (so I miss the local build up of traffic). At work by 8:30am. Leave at 4:30pm if not earlier (they operate a 35 hour week and I usually exceed that anyway). I am back home before 6pm. Because I went up in rate by around 20% that does help a lot and there is a lot of mileage I can claim (not to mention breaking the 2 year rule). Also after 18 months at one place you do need a change! There is little chance of this role lasting beyond the 3 months so the end is insight already anyway...... How long is the gig for?

Comment

Working...
                    X