• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Monday Links from the Barnyard vol. CCXI"

Collapse

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Don't leave kids in dogs - got it.

I was at a show in Tewkesbury a few years ago when it was hot (mid July). Over the PA someone announced that someone had left a dog in a car with the windows up and the dog was getting distressed, could they please come back (gave description and reg of car etc). After the third announcement the PA added that if they owner was not back soon he would not be suprised if someone broke the windows of the car to let the dog out ... suddenly the owner appeared at the car.
    This happens every year at Badminton horse trials. Owners get a couple of warnings if it isn't a hot day, none if it is . The cops break in, the RSPCA take the mutt and the car owner is informed over the tannoy, generally to an enthusiastic round of applause.. I'm pretty sure a mob would form if it was a child. And we have a pack of foxhounds nearby.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    You don't forget a dog - if it is asleep it will wake up as soon as you park. Most cases the stupid owners have left the window down a crack thinking that will be sufficient.
    I suppose if you crack a window that is pretty implicit guilt.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Or dogs.
    Don't leave kids in dogs - got it.

I was at a show in Tewkesbury a few years ago when it was hot (mid July). Over the PA someone announced that someone had left a dog in a car with the windows up and the dog was getting distressed, could they please come back (gave description and reg of car etc). After the third announcement the PA added that if they owner was not back soon he would not be suprised if someone broke the windows of the car to let the dog out ... suddenly the owner appeared at the car.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    That's a good point. Bizarre.
    You don't forget a dog - if it is asleep it will wake up as soon as you park. Most cases the stupid owners have left the window down a crack thinking that will be sufficient.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    An excellent place to eat chips, too, if I might be so bold.
    Next door to that chippy is now a very nice and cheap holiday cottage...... Can provide details if you like walking....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Quite.

It's much more serious leaving a dog in car.

The protectors of furry animals always prosecute to the limits of the law.

Wunch of Bankers.
    That's a good point. Bizarre.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Can you just give me the gist?
    Parents have been known to accidentally leave their children in cars, usually when something has happened to break their routine and cause them to forget the child is there. On a hot day, this can rapidly cause the death of the child.

It is suggested that such forgetfulness cannot, in many cases, be dismissed as mere carelessness or irresponsibility: it is related to the very way the human brain is structured, and the way different areas thereof interact to form memories and control our capacity to remember things.

Thus such parents cannot be equated with those who are careless or irresponsible, and it is unreasonable to subject them to criminal proceedings.

Parents who have suffered such a tragic event are found equally in all classes of society, all levels of educational attainment, all races, and both sexes. There is no pattern to be discerned, because the tragedy is a consequence of the parent being human.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Or cheese.
    Unless you want to ripen it quickly.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Or cheese.
    or chocolate (even when not particularly hot, remembering 1 purchase at Mullion which melted in the 30 minutes we spent eating chips at the Lizard)..

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Or dogs.
    Or cheese.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Or dogs.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Dunno - reading it probably means you're aware of it and therefore less likely to make the same mistake...
    Can you just give me the gist?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Dunno - reading it probably means you're aware of it and therefore less likely to make the same mistake...

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    I decided not to read it because it might be upsetting (I am a dad of two toddlers), I am guessing I made the right decision?
    Dont read it. It'll ruin your whole day :-(

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    First one awful. Wish I'd never read that (as Dad of 7 month old).

Wonder if I can get one of those alarm things that they mention? i.e. if something is on back seat.
    I decided not to read it because it might be upsetting (I am a dad of two toddlers), I am guessing I made the right decision?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X