• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Drink Driving...

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Drink Driving..."

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    As long as you enter a proper contract and enforce it if necessary with eviction and debt collection.
    WHS. My 4 year old is presently having to sleep in the garden shed having failed to have given me half of his Haribo this week and a Curly Wurly. Two lessons there, budgeting and always pay your debts.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I am, obviously, aware that "children rent" in this country acts as a way to make them leave the family to get their own place, afterall they are already paying rent anyway. I guess it's ok if you want to teach your children how to be responsible adults
    FTFY

It's not about making money from your children AtW. It's more like splitting the bills. If you and your wife work, and your child also works, why should they not be equally contributing to the rent, council tax, bills, etc?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    That is what most people think. It is only selfish tossers like AtW that think they should get a free ride in life. Fortunately, as he has yet to work out that his todger does more than stir his vodka, he is unlikely ever to have kids to try his lame notions out upon.
    Sir, I prefer my vodka shaken, not stirred.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    AtW was brought up in a foreign country and lots of people brought up abroad don't understand the concept of your relations particularly your teenage/adult children paying rent to live with you.

On the other hand they also don't understand why you as a working adult child would not help out a close relation financially particularly your parents with their living costs.

So in the case of your mother needing the money while you stayed - it would be expected you give her money as she had little but she didn't charge you rent.
    Foreign is not the same as bad. In some cases (like mine) it's actually very refreshingly good.

Having children supporting their parents is sacred but making money on your own children is a taboo.

I am, obviously, aware that "children rent" in this country acts as a way to make them leave the family to get their own place, afterall they are already paying rent anyway. I guess it's ok if you really hate your children and can't wait for them to leave.

There are a lot of good smart things that were invented in this country, but charging your own children rent isn't one of them.
    Last edited by AtW; 19 December 2013, 01:15.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    That is what most people think. It is only selfish tossers like AtW that think they should get a free ride in life.
    Fortunately, as he has yet to work out that his todger does more than stir his vodka, he is unlikely ever to have kids to try his lame notions out upon.
    A bit harsh.

AtW was brought up in a foreign country and lots of people brought up abroad don't understand the concept of your relations particularly your teenage/adult children paying rent to live with you.

On the other hand they also don't understand why you as a working adult child would not help out a close relation financially particularly your parents with their living costs.

So in the case of your mother needing the money while you stayed - it would be expected you give her money as she had little but she didn't charge you rent.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    My teenage son complained about people going into HIS room. I explained that it was the GUEST room, but he could have the washing machine if he liked.

that is extremely funny actually. need a bit of polishing, but I think that is a cracker really.

thats going into my repetoir that is

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied
    My teenage son complained about people going into HIS room. I explained that it was the GUEST room, but he could have the washing machine if he liked.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    when I started working and live with my parents I was chareged rent - albeit a nominal sum - about £100 per month but that was back in oooh 1995/1996.

Covered all bills n food

Strangely enough my wife's parents also did this but when she left and bought a house they gave her back all the money she had given in rent.

the money I gave my parents went on beer n tabs...
    +1

Rent was a third of my Salary, at the time my family needed the money. It wasn't a shock.

Later my parents helped me buy my first place by lending me money so I consider it a fair deal.

My Wife's parents did similar to your GF's and when we got married they handed over a cheque, we weren't expecting it, that was a nice touch and helped us on our first house.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    My sister in law drinks and drives, she's an alcoholic and despite family members calling the police they never seem interested in trying to catch her.

Lazy rozzers.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    The pile up on the A14 is a nicely realistic touch,
    Thank you, from the writers of suity.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    I think it would have been reasonable for me to pay if I had gone back to live with her and had been in full time employment.
    That is what most people think. It is only selfish tossers like AtW that think they should get a free ride in life.
    Fortunately, as he has yet to work out that his todger does more than stir his vodka, he is unlikely ever to have kids to try his lame notions out upon.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I had a brush with the law once. Got pulled over on the A14. Pie eyed I was. Weaving about all over the road. The copper made me get out of the car to do a breath test. I blew the thing off the scale.

Then at that exact moment, there was a pile up on the other side of the road. The copper clearly had to go and deal with that, so I took my opportunity and jumped in my car and sped off.

In the morning there was a knock at the door. It was the copper from the night before. Of course I denied everything. After all my car was tucked up safe and sound in the garage and it was my word against his, right?

He asked me to open up the garage so he could take a look at my car. No problem mate. I got the remote and popped the garage door open.

"Stone me" I said, "my car's turned into a police car" I said.

The pile up on the A14 is a nicely realistic touch,

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I had a brush with the law once. Got pulled over on the A14. Pie eyed I was. Weaving about all over the road. The copper made me get out of the car to do a breath test. I blew the thing off the scale.

Then at that exact moment, there was a pile up on the other side of the road. The copper clearly had to go and deal with that, so I took my opportunity and jumped in my car and sped off.

In the morning there was a knock at the door. It was the copper from the night before. Of course I denied everything. After all my car was tucked up safe and sound in the garage and it was my word against his, right?

He asked me to open up the garage so he could take a look at my car. No problem mate. I got the remote and popped the garage door open.

"Stone me" I said, "my car's turned into a police car" I said.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Indeed

A bit harsh - although depending on the sort of child you have bought up they will either respect your terms and pay up or just give you the finger.

Once they give you the finger just sell them on to some nasty bulgarian gangsters
    My kids know the score.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Charging rent to kids when they can afford it is good in my view, it prevents coming home being a soft option and teaches life lessons.
    Indeed

As long as you enter a proper contract and enforce it if necessary with eviction and debt collection.
    A bit harsh - although depending on the sort of child you have bought up they will either respect your terms and pay up or just give you the finger.

Once they give you the finger just sell them on to some nasty bulgarian gangsters

Leave a comment:

Working...
X