• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Sods law

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sods law"

Collapse

• kal
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    A week barely gives you time to find accommodation and travel arrangements and get your suits pressed as it is!
    Never mind turn around time to get the contract reviewed and strong arm-ing the agency to make the changes required!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    A week barely gives you time to find accommodation and travel arrangements and get your suits pressed as it is!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    If a week's notice is too long for them to wait, I'd be tempted to tell them to get real.
    Agree. But sometimes they do say this. (or agent does)

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    You want them as sub-contractors not employees, unless you are moving to do this properly as some sort of consultancy model IMO.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Now that would be good. And pay them £100 a day....

Anyone ever used a sub? How did you pay them - as a PAYE employee or as a ltd company invoice?
    frequently, via invoice.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If a week's notice is too long for them to wait, I'd be tempted to tell them to get real.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    Can't you just invoke your substitution clause, get Bobshawadiwadi in and then take on the better contract
    Now that would be good. And pay them £100 a day....

Anyone ever used a sub? How did you pay them - as a PAYE employee or as a ltd company invoice?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Of course, the crap contract/bail if something better comes along idea is all well and good but, as I've found out, there are problems:-

1. Even a weeks notice puts some clients off. (Despite the fact that we all know that clients fanny about and waste this much time anyway - they seem to have an idea in their head that contractor has to start TOMORROW).

2. Its difficult to speak to agencies when you've just started a contract.

3. Its even more difficult to attend interviews (even phone ones) when you're in a contract. Only so many excuses you can make for a day off at short notice (and of course, you're losing money all the time).

I think theres going to come a time when its time to can crap contract anyway and go back to full time job hunting.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Can't you just invoke your substitution clause, get Bobshawadiwadi in and then take on the better contract

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Damon View Post
    My original response still stands IMO

Good luck with the interview.
    Yeh. You have a point.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Isn't it support desk or similar, i.e. the rate is appropriate and he took a crap role rather than a role with a crap rate?
    Nope. Its a fairly senior 3rd line role.

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    They're in luck.

Leave a comment:

• Damon
    replied
    My original response still stands IMO

Good luck with the interview.

Originally posted by Damon View Post

I have had a client cancel a project one week after I started and all on left that day.

So when it suits the client they won't concern themselves with the outcome for you....

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    WHS - at that rate they can hardly be expecting a reliable professional.
    They're in luck.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Isn't it support desk or similar, i.e. the rate is appropriate and he took a crap role rather than a role with a crap rate?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X