• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sods law

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Oh - and you need to grow some spuds next time so you dont say yes to what is clearly a c**p job way below your normal rate, easier said than done this...
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    This is indeed easier said than done. OP has a wife and baby at home. I don't know his financial circumstances but a crap paying contract may be enough to keep the family in housing, heating, food and clothes. You gotta do what you gotta do.
    Sorry Luke but that's daft. The OP specifically took this contract as something crappy to do while waiting for a better gig. He fully intended to leave early (1-week notice period) but what he expected was this would happen after a month or more, not after 2 days
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

This is indeed easier said than done. OP has a wife and baby at home. I don't know his financial circumstances but a crap paying contract may be enough to keep the family in housing, heating, food and clothes. You gotta do what you gotta do.
      +1, At the end of the day if you have family to support that's your priority, I would do exactly the same if I were in PC's situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        Quit with the employee thinking ...

If you get the role. Turn around to your existing client and say ....

I've had some other work come in and I'm going to prioritise my work with them. I can come in for a half day a week (or whatever you can swing) and I have time available in the evening and weekends to get as much work done as possible. If this is unacceptable to you then I will understand.

--- You have nothing to lose at this point ---

If they accept you will have to work like a dog, but you will make 5x the money you are on now.

Also don't lose sight of the fact that they will be getting a resource at way below market. Full time or not.
        The OP wants to spend some time with his family. He should meet his contractual obligations (which is easy) and dump the badly paid contract. Why would he want to commute to London and then find time to do a £150 pd role on top of it?

Comment

Caring about your family isn't "employee thinking" unless you equate "contractor thinking" with being a money-obsessed misery. Ah...
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

#sensiblecomment
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

If you get the role. Turn around to your existing client and say ....

I've had some other work come in and I'm going to prioritise my work with them. I can come in for a half day a week (or whatever you can swing) and I have time available in the evening and weekends to get as much work done as possible. If this is unacceptable to you then I will understand.

--- You have nothing to lose at this point ---

If they accept you will have to work like a dog, but you will make 5x the money you are on now.

Also don't lose sight of the fact that they will be getting a resource at way below market. Full time or not.
              Good idea in principle. Trouble is its more of a bum on seat support role so prob no good to them.

They'll probably be pissed off and then crack on with getting someone else in asap.

Comment

The OP wants to spend some time with his family. He should meet his contractual obligations (which is easy) and dump the badly paid contract. Why would he want to commute to London and then find time to do a £150 pd role on top of it?
                Hmmm. True enough....

Despite what others think I do feel some sort of guilt if I leave almost immediately though. Practically though, I dont think I could do this in top.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Good idea in principle. Trouble is its more of a bum on seat support role so prob no good to them.

They'll probably be pissed off and then crack on with getting someone else in asap.
                  you know anyone who is looking? Maybe put them forward?
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Hmmm. True enough....

Despite what others think I do feel some sort of guilt if I leave almost immediately though. Practically though, I dont think I could do this in top.
                    They're the ones who should be feeling guilty @ £150 pd.

Comment

They're the ones who should be feeling guilty @ £150 pd.
                      WHS - at that rate they can hardly be expecting a reliable professional.

Comment

Working...
                      X