• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Shopping spree / Monday challenge II"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    This. ^^

Plus I have a resting pulse of 40. I like to know what my ticker is doing at all times during exercise so if I am going to pop my clogs I get a couple seconds advance warning
    Wow you've got the same resting pulse as Michael Phelps - well jealous. Best I can do these days is early 50's, and even then that's been totally zen.

Do you meditate?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    To make sure you don't go over your limits and make yourself ill .
    Whose sockie is this? If you need a monitor to tell you that...

To work out how many calories you've burned
    To keep track of how fast you can go at a particular level of output => measure your fitness.
    Forgot counting calories, it does not matter. In fact forgot weighing yourself too, have no done so for years. A good measure of fitness is how quickly you repair from whatever injury. Athletes at the top of their game will talk about managing injury, and less so fitness.

I saw some weekend warriors in Reigate a few weeks ago, mostly 9-5's during the week giving it their all during the day. Talk about heart attacks waiting to happen.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    To make sure you don't go over your limits and make yourself ill
    To keep track of how fast you can go at a particular level of output => measure your fitness.
    This. ^^

Plus I have a resting pulse of 40. I like to know what my ticker is doing at all times during exercise so if I am going to pop my clogs I get a couple seconds advance warning

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Well that's fine if you're a fell runner, tearing up the mountains every other day. I'm happy if I can increase my distance. I guess folks monitoring heart do so to know if they're in burning fat or training for better cardio. For what other reason would you want to measure your heart rate?
    To make sure you don't go over your limits and make yourself ill

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I don't want to run with an iphone attached to me.
    I want GPS
    I want to measure my heart rate
    I want decent software to analyse performance

Next!
    Well that's fine if you're a fell runner, tearing up the mountains every other day. I'm happy if I can increase my distance. I guess folks monitoring heart do so to know if they're in burning fat or training for better cardio. For what other reason would you want to measure your heart rate?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    This thread can be summarised in a sentence:

Low IQ, completely uncool, ginger geek mistakenly thinks he's cool.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Smartie
    replied
    Dive Computer

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Not used the site itself yet much beyond registering.

As for Suunto products, I have the Suunto Vyper Air and it's a cracking bit of kit.

One thing I noticed is that it is more conservative at shallower depths than my old computer which I found strange. One of the main main reasons of getting a Suunto is that on previous dive trips my old computer was far more conservative than my wife's (Suunto Gekko) and I thought it best if we were diving on the same/similar NDL models.

I can say it's very easy to read and feature rich. There aren't many dive computers that allow a PC connection and user changeable battery.

The Mares M1 allows both, using standard AA batteries that are easy to find anywhere. Picked mine up in 2000 and another in 2007. Somewhat less conservative than the Suunto models I think, but easy to read and cheap. Still only £200. Mares M1 RGBM. Instruments-computers Computers, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, dive

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Now that is a gimmick. Just download runtastic app for your iPhone, it'll do everything of the above apart from measuring your heart rate. If you like you can use this app with a heart rate sensor that straps around your chest connecting to the app via bluetooth.
    I don't want to run with an iphone attached to me.
    I want GPS
    I want to measure my heart rate
    I want decent software to analyse performance

Next!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I have a suunto T3 (the original one, not T3D) with bike kits on a couple of my bikes + the PC wireless adapter thing. It's pretty good. Much better than the cheap polar one I had before. I use the bundled software that came with it that predated movescount so I haven't tried the site, but the software was good for drawing pretty graphs and keeping track of your improvement. It has a good training intensity thing that lets you know if you're overdoing it and keeps track of what you have done and how fit you are as well. Haven't used it for a while due to a bout of laziness though.
    Last edited by doodab; 1 October 2013, 12:41.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I want one of these to help with targeted training.

Suunto Ambit2 Black (HR) - Suunto

Anyone use the movescount website?
    Now that is a gimmick. Just download runtastic app for your iPhone, it'll do everything of the above apart from measuring your heart rate. If you like you can use this app with a heart rate sensor that straps around your chest connecting to the app via bluetooth.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Not used the site itself yet much beyond registering.

As for Suunto products, I have the Suunto Vyper Air and it's a cracking bit of kit.

One thing I noticed is that it is more conservative at shallower depths than my old computer which I found strange. One of the main main reasons of getting a Suunto is that on previous dive trips my old computer was far more conservative than my wife's (Suunto Gekko) and I thought it best if we were diving on the same/similar NDL models.

I can say it's very easy to read and feature rich. There aren't many dive computers that allow a PC connection and user changeable battery.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Spooky timing. I was going to upload some dives to movescount this weekend before packing all the gear away.
    Whats the verdict? Is it a useful site for training analysis? Any thoughts on the Suunto product range?

There's a ton of conflicting opinions out there on heart rate monitors and their supporting software so nay first hand experiences appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied

Spooky timing. I was going to upload some dives to movescount this weekend before packing all the gear away.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    Impressing the girls by showing them your large hadron collider, now that's cool
    I can woo the ladies at a hundred paces with one of my creations...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...at-i-made.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X