• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Plan b - Serviced Apartments"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    In the food industry you must present a perception that you are good to gain custom in the first place. So if you offer someone a meal that is around the price of a M&S/Waitrose preprepared meal then they are unlikely to take you up on the offer.

You also need to convince people to sign up for days at a time - so a discount for ordering for a week in advance would allow you to bring the price down but for a one off you would need to charge more.

Wouldn't you just bring enough with you and wash them at the weekend? The washing and iron is in case you have an accident which is why a washer drier, iron and ironing board would be sufficient.
    It's reheated in Microwave food it competes squarely with M&S, if I want fresh food I can just surf just-eat. Your edge /USP is the convenience of it being in the Fridge.

you can charge more, but the minimum price to make a profit seems to be £4. If you charge £8 then the tenant may just say I can go to the Pub/McDonalds. I can get a pint & meal for £6 or I can sit at home with reheated meals only one of these gives the owner of the flat revenue.

Its suggestions not mandatory pricing. Agree a long term deal can include a discount but the minimum of reserve by 9am means its cooked with the lunch order which tends to be quieter and cheaper staff costs plus minimum delivery cost.

If you want to spend all weekend at Darmadstat's favourite play scene then maybe you don't want to do washing at the weekend or take it home to the wife / girlfriend.

again optional services. If no one uses them you can take them off or put the price up, they cost nothing to have on the list.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    NSFW

I do have to admit that the recent one I stayed at, NSFW, did cost me €120 an hour and I didn't get anything to eat, just drinks and was well serviced and as for a tax expense, you couldn't beat it

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied

Wouldn't you just bring enough with you and wash them at the weekend? The washing and iron is in case you have an accident which is why a washer drier, iron and ironing board would be sufficient.
    This - and its something to do in the evening

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    top on Google

Chicken meals | COOK

£3.99 / portion.

Frozen Meals & Desserts delivered to your door : Main Meals and Desserts

£3.95 / portion.

So if you said to your local pub / restaurant we order by 9am, cook at lunchtime and we will collect on the way back from the cleaners It will be £3.50 / portion and we will put £0.50 on top for delivery.

Its a service you might only use a couple of times a week so I didn't give a weekly price.
    In the food industry you must present a perception that you are good to gain custom in the first place. So if you offer someone a meal that is around the price of a M&S/Waitrose preprepared meal then they are unlikely to take you up on the offer.

You also need to convince people to sign up for days at a time - so a discount for ordering for a week in advance would allow you to bring the price down but for a one off you would need to charge more.

£10-20 per week was for the washing which for 5 shirts ironed + socks & undies is about right on SE prices.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Blast
    FTFY (well I was about to neg her and now I won't)

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    With nice organiser cubby holes and good strong ceiling joists?
    Blast

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mudskipper again.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Good point. Make sure it has parking or even better a secure garage.

With nice organiser cubby holes and good strong ceiling joists?

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    motels are routine in new zealand, basically a premier inn style bedroom with a small kitchen/dining room attatched. I really liked them and dont understand why they dont do it like that here.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    It's more likely to cost £8-10 a day for an evening meal rather than a week as otherwise it won't be cost effective. Remember restaurants and pubs need to charge VAT on the meal.
    top on Google

Chicken meals | COOK

£3.99 / portion.

Frozen Meals & Desserts delivered to your door : Main Meals and Desserts

£3.95 / portion.

So if you said to your local pub / restaurant we order by 9am, cook at lunchtime and we will collect on the way back from the cleaners It will be £3.50 / portion and we will put £0.50 on top for delivery.

Its a service you might only use a couple of times a week so I didn't give a weekly price.

£10-20 per week was for the washing which for 5 shirts ironed + socks & undies is about right on SE prices.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Quite a few hotel chains have apart-hotels which I've used extensively in the past. One down in the Schwarwald I was in for 2 years, it had a kitcheonette (cooker, microwave, dishwasher, etc.) and a cleaner twice a week. For that one I used to pay monthly but go home most weekends and occasionally stay for the weekend there. I've used others such as the Westfield Suites in Stratford and some Novotel Suites as well and they all offer various packages. One of the best was Courtyard by Marriott in Poughkeepsie (and not just because IBM were paying) but the rooms were excellent and they provided a heck of a lot of amenities and extras (chilli evenings, etc.) I have also rented fully furnished apartments as well but that was just too much hassle...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I would suggest it is a chargeable extra.

The cooking would be Tuesday = 'low fat home cooked Shepherds /Vegetable Pie" order by 9am in the morning.It provides a healthy option and a quick meal at the £3-4 mark. Something a few posters have mentioned. Again can be outsourced to local pub/restaurant. Delivered to Fridge during day or at 8pm for extra.

The washing / Ironing is a standard service many middle class people I know pay for anyway. The cleaner doesn't have to do it, just organise & collect it. Leave washing in bag in room and it will be back in 2 days washed, ironed and hung in your wardrobe. We charge £2 per load to organise.

ironing service in newport : Pick Up and Press

I would pay £10 -£20 a week for that and charge it against expenses if I could.

Its basically a maid / restaurant service but at a lower cost.

It also ups the Ante, its not a house share its a hotel without the fuss.
    It's more likely to cost £8-10 a day for an evening meal rather than a week as otherwise it won't be cost effective. Remember restaurants and pubs need to charge VAT on the meal.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    When I've looked at these, they typically cost about the same per night as a hotel but maybe I am looking at the nicer ones. For instance Serviced Apartments, Apart Hotels in Leeds, Manchester & Newcastle - or is this not quite what is being discussed?
    If the local Raddisson/Hilton is £150 a night then I don't think £1200-£1500 for a serviced apartment is too extreme. As I mentioned, 9 x hotel per night seems to work.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Most people who stay in those types of apartments don't want someone to do their cooking and washing. Otherwise they would stay in a hotel.
    I would suggest it is a chargeable extra.

The cooking would be Tuesday = 'low fat home cooked Shepherds /Vegetable Pie" order by 9am in the morning.It provides a healthy option and a quick meal at the £3-4 mark. Something a few posters have mentioned. Again can be outsourced to local pub/restaurant. Delivered to Fridge during day or at 8pm for extra.

The washing / Ironing is a standard service many middle class people I know pay for anyway. The cleaner doesn't have to do it, just organise & collect it. Leave washing in bag in room and it will be back in 2 days washed, ironed and hung in your wardrobe. We charge £2 per load to organise.

ironing service in newport : Pick Up and Press

I would pay £10 -£20 a week for that and charge it against expenses if I could.

Its basically a maid / restaurant service but at a lower cost.

It also ups the Ante, its not a house share its a hotel without the fuss.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    I've used them before a fair bit (paid for by clients / employers). I prefer them to a hotel if I'm away for anything over a couple of weeks. In general the price has been comparable to a hotel, maybe a little less, but not by much. Some have been in hotels - they have normal rooms on some floors, then a couple of floors of apartments.

I agree, clean and basic.
    My wishlist runs to a kitchen, washing machine (a dryer is good), maybe a dishwasher so I can be lazy (but not required), a desk, half-decent wireless, a TV and a cleaner.
    Ah but I'm not talking about a serviced apartment, those are too expensive for most contractors, unless the client is paying.
    I'm really talking self-contained bedsit here. Not sure there's a network of those.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I reckon the above - clean and basic, would put you in a sweet price-point between scummy B&B/shared house and a pricey hotel.
    I've used them before a fair bit (paid for by clients / employers). I prefer them to a hotel if I'm away for anything over a couple of weeks. In general the price has been comparable to a hotel, maybe a little less, but not by much. Some have been in hotels - they have normal rooms on some floors, then a couple of floors of apartments.

I agree, clean and basic.
    My wishlist runs to a kitchen, washing machine (a dryer is good), maybe a dishwasher so I can be lazy (but not required), a desk, half-decent wireless, a TV and a cleaner.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X