• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Kissing in the office"

Collapse

• socialworker
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I bet you do. :nazi:
    Um, Fuhrer. Or strictly, Fuehre

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    The Swiss do three kisses - left, right, left.
    Still, a handshake is unwanted physical contact. I've explained to my colleagues, that being British, I have a personal space that extends several miles (km), and that, in fact, I find it quite uncomfortable being in the same country as them.
    Exactly. The English Channel is there for a reason.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It's a tough one this. I have worked with many countries in Europe and the MEA over the last 3 years and it is a minefield trying to decide what to do when meeting colleagues, particularly when dealing with countries that have a strong culture and respect is key like Middle Eastern ones.

Knowing who to kiss on the cheek which is the norm in Algeria/Morocco and very offensive to ladies from Egypt, and who to shake hands with is an utter nightmare.

I tend to just wait until they make their move first, if they stick their hand out then great, if they move in then offer a cheek up.... oh yeah, and don't forget some people do one cheek, some do both... Jesus...
    You seemed pretty sure of the etiquette when that Tunisian chemical tanker came into port last week.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    And how is Mrs EO's black eye?

Spooky. She does have a black eye. We were walking down the street on hols, and she walked smack bang into some traffic lights. All the birds in the shops and stuff are giving me the evils

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    ...I tend to just wait until they make their move first, if they stick their hand out then great, if they move in then offer a cheek up.... oh yeah, and don't forget some people do one cheek, some do both... Jesus...
    The Swiss do three kisses - left, right, left.
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Continental colleagues visiting. Lots of air kissing all round. What's wrong with a good old fashioned handshake?
    Still, a handshake is unwanted physical contact. I've explained to my colleagues, that being British, I have a personal space that extends several miles (km), and that, in fact, I find it quite uncomfortable being in the same country as them.

(I now await the inevitable abuse...)

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Generally, if someone tries to invade my Space, I treat it as a physical attack and respond with a punch in the throat or a kick in the nut sack.
    Respect THIS <nut>
    And how is Mrs EO's black eye?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Generally, if someone tries to invade my Space, I treat it as a physical attack and respond with a punch in the throat or a kick in the nut sack.
    Respect THIS <nut>

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

And what is the problem exactly?!?!?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    I enjoy reading about cultures, so tend to try and find out what I should expect on getting to a country. If a furher turns up here, of whom I have no idea of his/her provenance, I follow their lead.
    I bet you do. :nazi:

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    I enjoy reading about cultures, so tend to try and find out what I should expect on getting to a country. If a furner turns up here, of whom I have no idea of his/her provenance, I follow their lead.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    You an catch "The Bench"
    Isn't 'The Bench' a story of a young hedonistic techie who comes across a dying contractor in a dodgy server room in Bangkok who scrawls a map & directions on a piece of scrap paper to the greatest gig in the world, to whit he then embarks on a great journey on public transport to eventually find said 'nirvana' only to discover he's been locked in to an IR35 unfriendly contract, with no MOO & no notice clause???

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Good way of spreading TB.
    You an catch "The Bench"

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    I never fully understand this, although I'm guilty of succumbing to it too.

Someone comes over to the UK and they may have a different cultural way of greeting than we do, so we spend energy trying to work out the correct way of responding. If you then go visit them in their country, they still greet using their own "cultural norm", so it's nothing to do with guest vs host.
    I've actually had French and Dutch women insisting on cheek-kissing and acting offended if I'm standing with my hand out to shake instead.

Is it because we generally insist on them learning a proper language instead of using their own barbarian tongues, so we make up for it by allowing them to practice their own non-verbal greeting instead as a compromise?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Good way of spreading TB.
    TB? Is that anything like MF or SY?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    So when is a pinch on the bum acceptable these days?
    Just after you've grabbed their breasts so I've heard.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X