• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Looks like paying for shopping bags is finally coming in"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    saw this and thought of this thread:

Paying for carrier bags is not exactly new, is it? I have a bag at home that I have been paying for and carrying for years.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Epiphone View Post
    Off the top of my head a Jaffa cake muffin.
    That sounds like 3 things.

Leave a comment:

• Epiphone
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I can't think of anything that comes in 4 layers.
    Off the top of my head a Jaffa cake muffin.

Leave a comment:

• Epiphone
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    No. That's empty rhetoric.

You'll start paying for bags when paying for bags is mandatory and you need a bag. Or are you going to become an audacious thief, a daring cat burglar, the Danny Ocean of Lidl, taking those precious plastic bags for free, one at a time?
    No. I'll do what I did when they first trialed this. They give you bags rather than have to put all your shopping back on the shelves.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Oh yes, very posh; the Cortina was a 'GL' model, with electric windows not entirely dissimilar to the whooshing doors on Star Trek. Well, quite dissimilar actually, and when I opened them they made a noise that sounded like someone familiar shouting 'shut that bloody window NOW!'
    Wow.

I was forced to use my foot to slooowly open the rear window manually. Resulted in same shouting noise, though.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Oh! I do know, then. You must have been reet posh, then. We were never allowed to stop at services on a car journey, unless to use to loo.
    Oh yes, very posh; the Cortina was a 'GL' model, with electric windows not entirely dissimilar to the whooshing doors on Star Trek. Well, quite dissimilar actually, and when I opened them they made a noise that sounded like someone familiar shouting 'shut that bloody window NOW!'

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    I visited Knutsford services many times in my childhood, as I was transported northwards in the wonder that was a Ford Cortina MkII to visit family in that wild place forebodingly described on motorway signs as 'the North'. The Luxury Grill Room fascinated me as only adults were allowed to go in there, until later it was opened for kids and the 'luxury' aspect was something of an anticlimax.
    Oh! I do know, then. You must have been reet posh, then. We were never allowed to stop at services on a car journey, unless to use to loo.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I have no idea what you're on about. I was on my way to a dirty weekend in Nunsmere Hall as I recall.
    Knutsford Services | Motorway Services Trivia Site

I first met and fell cap-over-the-bridge for Knutsford Service, in the autumn of 1964 when – having just landed a job as a young sales representative with a Birmingham hospital bed manufacturer – I found myself driving a brand new Vauxhall Viva, with £850pa salary and an expense account that funded £1.50 (then one pound, ten shillings), B&B on the Hagley Road, Dormy, Briars, or Norfolk Capital, plus – at nearby Old House At Home Inn, Edgbaston – a 12oz T-bone steak, with an inclusive prawn cocktail starter, the cheeseboard, dessert and coffee for 62.5 pence(then 12 shillings and sixpence. That aside, my biggest and most anticipated thrill then, was to visit the Top Rank Services – both coming and going – at Knutsford, which out-stripped any other such venue at the time. It was always clean, well-administered and the restaurants were of an exceptionally high standard, as were the cafes; all of which were not receptive to patrons who neither behaved nor dressed appropriately. Happy Days, and like the Esso sign at the time, and attendant commercial in which an oriental cartoon caricature sang *Esso Sign Means Happy Motoring* Knutsford Services epitomised just that ! God Bless and keep you Knutsford Services; my being nearly 74 now, and still retaining those happy vibes about the most delightful services venue on the motorway. Gerry George.
    Gerry's obviously not seen much of the world, but at least he's happy.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I have no idea what you're on about. I was on my way to a dirty weekend in Nunsmere Hall as I recall.
    I visited Knutsford services many times in my childhood, as I was transported northwards in the wonder that was a Ford Cortina MkII to visit family in that wild place forebodingly described on motorway signs as 'the North'. The Luxury Grill Room fascinated me as only adults were allowed to go in there, until later it was opened for kids and the 'luxury' aspect was something of an anticlimax.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Ah, Knutsford, made famous by the 'Luxury Grill Room' in the Top Rank services! Well, 'rank' was a fair description anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Sir Ranulph Fiennes having a wet dream?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    That is not how it went, sadly. I was stuck at the side of a lane in Knutsford. No one stopped
    Ah, Knutsford, made famous by the 'Luxury Grill Room' in the Top Rank services! Well, 'rank' was a fair description anyway.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'll start paying for bags when manufacturers stop wrapping food in four layers of plastic.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Call?!? Call?!?

If you find your tyre flat in a public place a guy appears out of no where and changes it for you in a jiffy.

If you are unlucky you get your hands a bit dirty emptying your car to find the spare.
    That is not how it went, sadly. I was stuck at the side of a lane in Knutsford. No one stopped

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    I'll start paying for bags when manufacturers stop wrapping food in four layers of plastic.
    No. That's empty rhetoric.

You'll start paying for bags when paying for bags is mandatory and you need a bag. Or are you going to become an audacious thief, a daring cat burglar, the Danny Ocean of Lidl, taking those precious plastic bags for free, one at a time?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X