• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Heating's on

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Heating's on"

Collapse

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    Did it actually make you warmer, or just believe that it was warmer?
    by the time I had sold my house to fund it it was colder

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Get two*.

*Snot a joke: my sister's last house had two separate boilers for some odd reason. I suspect it may have been divided into flats at some time or other.
    We actually already have two boilers One is a combi / water heater that takes care of the kitchen and utility and third toilet/ shower room. Then we have an old school money chomping behemoth that does the central heating and two more bathrooms

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    As Im away during the week I would guess that mrs 5* put the heating on constant and probably cranked up the thermostat

I had better change the timings when I get home

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Or get a combi.
    Not many combi's are rated to cover 4000 square foot though.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Mine has this ingenious temperature controlled switch, meaning I don't have to worry about switching it on at the start of autumn, it just stays on all year and does nothing when it's warm.

You might want to look into something like that.
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Peeople I'm renting the Mon-Fri room from in London had the heating on when I got there last night
    I'd watch them if I were you. They're obviously psychopaths

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Windows still open, summer weight duvet still on, heating still off at home (Oop t'North)

Peeople I'm renting the Mon-Fri room from in London had the heating on when I got there last night

I will say I wore the long sleeved top cycling in this morning as it was a little cool first thing.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I did crack
    Did it actually make you warmer, or just believe that it was warmer?

Leave a comment:

• Chunk
    replied
    We did a CHristmas party in Australia (yeah M8!) FOR my partners mum who was homesick.

It wads 30 degrees outside so we drew the curtains, turned the air con t itd. Oldest setting and then lit the woodburner. ToAsty!

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
    Pfft, close a window? I opened mine as far as I could and left the fan on all night.
    Pfft, opened a window? I knocked a wall down just let some more air in.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
    Pfft, close a window? I opened mine as far as I could and left the fan on all night.
    But you are in the balmy South - not the frozen wastelands of the North.

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Pfft, heating? I closed a window last night but that's it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It's technically on but only to make sure the towels are warm and dry in the morning - windows are all still open and the summer duvet is definitely still the right choice.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Your plumber is a plum.

The rate of energy loss is proportional to the temperature. Ergo, you are losing (and therefore replacing) more energy when the tank is hot than when it cools right down and you bring it up to the same temperature again.

Though I doubt the tank is part of your central heating system, the same principle applies to the rooms in your house.
    WDS.

In theory yes, if you had a perfectly insulated house, but you don't and so you are constantly replacing the heat that's being lost from your house to the outside via the walls, roof, doors, windows etc

To prove it to yourself you could try taking a meter reading, keeping your heating on for a week then taking a reading and then do the same with your boiler timer settings (assuming weather remains approximately constant)?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I only have 3 piece of coal to last all year so it's staying off for now.
    Ugh scratch that. It's my dads birthday in a couple of weeks so thats 2 pieces for the heating.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X