• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Health and Safety Madness"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Used to do that at the MOD in the eighties - but that was so we could drive away quickly if the IRA decided to shoot at us.
    +1 the purpose of reverse parking is to get out quick if you need to. Strangely oil companies especially at refineries and terminals really like the idea....

in one place the meeting place if there is an emergency is 5 miles away....

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Do they insist on reverse parking? Apparently most car park accidents are caused by people reversing when leaving site, the data on how many are caused by reversing into the space in the first place wasn't available.
    Used to do that at the MOD in the eighties - but that was so we could drive away quickly if the IRA decided to shoot at us.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    At an old gig they would assign random people to help with health and safety checks.

I got asked to spend a day going round checking all the fire doors would open. Made a change and got full pay for the day so didnt mind.

Some of the doors were hard to open. One I couldnt open at all, even with full force kicks.

So I got brownie points for finding a door that couldnt be opened.

Funny old world.
    I think the sign said pull rather than push

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Do they insist on reverse parking? Apparently most car park accidents are caused by people reversing when leaving site, the data on how many are caused by reversing into the space in the first place wasn't available.

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    At an old gig they would assign random people to help with health and safety checks.

I got asked to spend a day going round checking all the fire doors would open. Made a change and got full pay for the day so didnt mind.

Some of the doors were hard to open. One I couldnt open at all, even with full force kicks.

So I got brownie points for finding a door that couldnt be opened.

Funny old world.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by zoco View Post
    This handrail thing seems to be their flagship health and safety policy.

They also encourage staff to come up with their own initiatives.

I'm tempted to suggest not holding the handrail since I'd rather break my neck than succumb to one of those nasty winter stomach viruses picked up from touching surfaces that have been contaminated by filthy individuals who don't wash their hands after taking a dump.
    Suggest the introduction of a hand washing and bog seat cleaning inspector to tackle both this problem and the challenge of people leaving skidmarks on the bog seat.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Move for wall-mounted anti-bacteria gell dispensers at the top/botto of each staircase, and on each side of every door, so you can clean yourself after having to touch any public surface.

It's what the NHS do now after all (which I pointedly ignore whenever possible on principle).

Leave a comment:

• zoco
    replied
    This handrail thing seems to be their flagship health and safety policy.

They also encourage staff to come up with their own initiatives.

I'm tempted to suggest not holding the handrail since I'd rather break my neck than succumb to one of those nasty winter stomach viruses picked up from touching surfaces that have been contaminated by filthy individuals who don't wash their hands after taking a dump.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Carry a pack of disposable latex gloves and insist on putting them on before shaking hands, while hectoring them about transmission of germs.

Bonus points for managing to grab the hand before they have a chance to explain they're allergic to latex

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I had an O&G client where someone told me off for walking up the stairs with my hands full (I was on the way to a meeting, with laptop etc).

The same ****ers were happy to have me sit on a filing cabinet when there wasn't a desk available.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Did you forget to login to the gricerboy account for this?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Did they bother to measure the dramatic decline in staff morale?
    It was fine, not being scalded, knocked over or falling down a gantry was seen as a benefit by most.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Oil & Gas Co?

I worked at one where all the H&S stuff seemed way over the top until I attended a short presentation that explained why.

As you can imagine H&S is pretty important on a rig or refinery and a large percentage of their staff would visit these environments on a regular basis so they decided to introduce the same rules across all sites to maintain standards, it was proven to reduce accidents dramatically.
    Did they bother to measure the dramatic decline in staff morale?

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    when the challenger offers their hand to shake, grab their finger and shake it limply.
    FTFY

That's the CUK clique handshake. Also has the added bonus that the person will never shake your hand again

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    carry drinks? what kind of homicidal maniac are you?

Drinks may only be consumed in approved receptacles and areas once they have been formally checked for temperature. Carrying drinks on stairs is considered an offence puinihable by dismissal.
    Too bloody right.

At client-co, you're picking your way through puddles of coffee as you climb the stairs. I always spill mine in the lift instead.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X