• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Going technical or going business ?"

Collapse

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    A bit hard and not really fair BS.

He's come from the Public Sector.
    Sorry

But in which case some of the best BA's I have met, have PS on their CV. They get far more time to perfect requirements gathering and UML than anyone would in the business world.

The OP just needs to find a better way to organise their thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    First off:

Congratulations in certifying in SCUM (Do the lobotomy scars show much? )
    You are a BA but can't quantify your skills in a 2 page summary report in a way that gets businesses to want you more?

I would suggest that far from going technical you should probably roll back to basics...

Don't look at what you have done so far... Go and find a business need in the market and then write a statement of how you can solve that based on previous experiences... From that point on you should be able to break it down into why your old CV sucks so very hard.

Then you can change it...

If you were to let me guess you were trained as a graduate by one of the big four...
    A bit hard and not really fair BS.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    First off:

Congratulations in certifying in SCUM (Do the lobotomy scars show much? )
    You are a BA but can't quantify your skills in a 2 page summary report in a way that gets businesses to want you more?

I would suggest that far from going technical you should probably roll back to basics...

Don't look at what you have done so far... Go and find a business need in the market and then write a statement of how you can solve that based on previous experiences... From that point on you should be able to break it down into why your old CV sucks so very hard.

Then you can change it...

If you were to let me guess you were trained as a graduate by one of the big four...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Go for roles that you can do, are better at than many people, and earn money.

And stop putting a space before the punctuation mark at the end of a sentence.
    You are giving out free advice.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    If you can't get a role as a BA then maybe you're not cut out for contracting.
    SY keeps getting BA roles but he's not cut out for contracting.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by zerointeractive View Post
    What is your advice ?
    Go for roles that you can do, are better at than many people, and earn money.

And stop putting a space before the punctuation mark at the end of a sentence.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Your turn, Dim.
    It can't be my turn in the barrel again?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    going back on topic.

So your CV isn't good enough to get you interviews as a BA and/or you can't answer BAT type interview questions to get the job.

So your solution is to look for a contract in something you don't have recent experience of

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post

No.
    Originally posted by Dallas View Post
    WMPS

Glad I'm not the only one!
    Your turn, Dim.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by Dallas View Post
    WMPS

Glad I'm not the only one!

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied

No.
    WMPS

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied
    People who say 'for my sins'

People who wear bluetooth headsets all the time

People who drive Vauxhall Insignias

People who use the latin 'AM' or 'PM' in conjunction with specifying whether they mean morning or afternoon. e.g. 'I will see you there at 10am in the morning'

People who sing along to songs being played on the radio. Especially awful if they sing for a prolonged period and/or close their eyes.
    WMPS

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    So you haven't?

No.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    That's got nowt to do with it!