• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Play fair

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Play fair"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Bear in mind that if you travelled to or fro on weekend days those days will count as well, also 4 months is likely to be more than 16 weeks unless all of them were February.
    It's the latest wheeze in avoiding tax, you work 13 Februaries a year.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    WHS

If you're spending all what you earn from contracting and have no war chest and aren't having a wonderful time you're doing something very very wrong.
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I think suity forgets that he is running a professional business a business has 2 priorities - getting work and getting paid for that work. Everything else is secondary which is why I always check invoices have been received.
    jeez, I am getting paid weekly at the mo. and it goes into my account within a few hours of me submitting, and I am STILL on top of it. checking at the end of friday.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    17K is way too far over exposed
    sounds like you are invoicing at the end of the month then waiting 2-3 months to be paid ?

and now this gig is bailing the previous one out ?

if it were me, I would be having sleepless nights, I dont care how big the agency was

I think suity forgets that he is running a professional business and a business has 2 priorities - getting work and getting paid for that work. Everything else is secondary which is why I always check invoices have been received.
    Last edited by eek; 23 August 2013, 10:35.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    17K is way too far over exposed
    sounds like you are invoicing at the end of the month then waiting 2-3 months to be paid ?

and now this gig is bailing the previous one out ?

if it were me, I would be having sleepless nights, I dont care how big the agency was

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    183 days is 6 months.

I was there for 4. 5 days a week.

16 x 5 = 80

HTH
    Bear in mind that if you travelled to or fro on weekend days those days will count as well, also 4 months is likely to be more than 16 weeks unless all of them were February.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I've always ignored that issue as I find it very hard to believe. For me 1 invoice =2.5-3 months living expenses. I really can't see how you can contract for a long time and not have a substantial warchest.
    WHS

If you're spending all what you earn from contracting and have no war chest you're doing something very very wrong.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Rather than mocking you for a simple mistake and showing incredulity you are living hand-to-mouth on your contracting invoices in the first place, I am going to suggest you just take out a loan that will allow you to pay it back in a month cheaply.
    I've always ignored that issue as I find it very hard to believe. For me 1 invoice =2.5-3 months living expenses. I really can't see how you can contract for a long time and not have a substantial warchest.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Try www.loansharksRus.com

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Rather than mocking you for a simple mistake and showing incredulity you are living hand-to-mouth on your contracting invoices in the first place, I am going to suggest you just take out a loan that will allow you to pay it back in a month cheaply.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    On paper I'm owed 17K.

This is a short term cash flow problem. I am a bonehead for not checking, but the agency is a big concern so would have thought they would be able to negotiate.

Little guy gets ****ed.

It was only your last timesheet that is delayed isnt it ? You are owed 17K on that ?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Mephisto View Post
    I'm still quite green here but is the OP for real?
    There are some very freaky people here. Oddly most seem quite normal in real life.

Leave a comment:

• Mephisto
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Neither can I, because words fail me. It's beyond parody.
    I'm still quite green here but is the OP for real? This and the 'no-one knows what they're doing but me' rant posts are making me sense a pattern.

Or rather smell one....

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You are a rotten egg.

I am suity, you all love me and you know it. Now shush.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Can't quite bring myself to take the pee on this one. Hope you get it sorted SY.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X