• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What should I swap my Honda Accord for?"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran
    But aren't most of those war torn / terrorist run? I suspect that the birth rate will go up when they feel safe, post war baby booms are common.
    Globally the fertility rate has dropped around 40% since the 50s, and that is despite the post war baby boom in "western" countries, which already had low birth rates. The falls in birth rates in the countries I mentioned started in the 50s, 60s, 70s and have been continuous since then.

While you might see a blip after a war long term political stability has a far stronger long term effect, namely falling death rates and a corresponding fall in birth rates. The increase in birth rates during the post 2nd world war "baby boom" in western countries is much smaller than the decline that happened during industrialisation.

The simple fact is, population growth isn't increasing exponentially at all. The rate of growth has been falling steadily since the 60s.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    . Actually I suppose I better do some work.
    What's the point? Someone as thick as you is hardly likely to effect anything of import.
    Stay on here and entertain us with your illogical, imbecilic stream of consciousness "thoughts".

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    How do you explain Algeria? Egypt? Tunisia? Morocco? Lebanon? India? Malaysia?

All have seen > 40% falls in fertility rates following a corresponding fall in the death rate.
    I kid you not. Much infertility that part of the World NA-ME is due to ignorance especially as premarital sex is banned and the males get their first experiences with other males. The first question infertility doctors ask a woman is “What hole is your husband using”. Moreover, in place such as Egypt female genital mutilation is around 75%, this causes infertility. For those not familiar with the practice it involves girls of 6 years old or more having their clitoris and labia cut off with scissors or a knife and then sewing it up leaving a small hole for urine and blood. The husband, then cuts it open when it wants sex, it is then sewn back up.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Someone has just pointed out this is a car thread I'm going to leave SASguru to his fantasies of what the wife is going to buy him and go back to the original thread. Actually I suppose I better do some work.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post

All have seen > 40% falls in fertility rates following a corresponding fall in the death rate.
    I'm not trying to, I'm just saying the low estimate as espoused by SAS is optimistic. But aren't most of those war torn / terrorist run? I suspect that the birth rate will go up when they feel safe, post war baby booms are common.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    but you haven't produced any facts, just a dodgy estimate that is based on various LEDCs behaving the same ways that long established, mainly Christian and democratic MEDCs have.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied

One of these ^ Not a car but an 8x seat flexible load lugger by day, 4 berth camper for the weekend, get a drive away awning and you're good for long Euro trips.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I think the conclusion is that you are incapable of discussing facts and prefer to stew in the fog of your ignorance and prejudices. Some people are too thick to bother with: you are one of them.

HTH.
    but you haven't produced any facts, just a dodgy estimate that is based on various LEDCs behaving the same ways that long established, mainly Christian and democratic MEDCs have.

Why is it dodgy? Because there has been an almost straight line accelerating growth since 1950, you expect it to change sharply without a major event. OK the world population may be culled by a Black Swan but that isn't part of the calculation. Longevity, fewer wars and yet lower infant mortality seem to have been left out. China is reconsidering single child policies etc.

As pointed out by another poster the UN have a habit of revising their estimates every five years.

You then linked to an eminent statistician who said birth rate may fall.

after that it was just 'la la I can't hear you' SAS's normal reaction when he is found out.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    How are you getting on with the new Fiat?
    Very well indeed. I refuse to drive it but don't mind sitting in it as long as there's a woman next to me, so Lady Tester now plays the 'designated sober driver' role whenever we go out.

Leave a comment:

• tranceporter
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    so personal attacks, no discussion of the facts? How you!
    I think the conclusion is that you are incapable of discussing facts and prefer to stew in the fog of your ignorance and prejudices. Some people are too thick to bother with: you are one of them.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    But quite a few people think you're a moron. We can't all be wrong.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...e-done-13.html
    so personal attacks, no discussion of the facts? How you!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    You love it really. What Merc would you recommend then? I'm being serious.
    here you go:

Matchbox Mercedes Benz | eBay

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    You love it really. What Merc would you recommend then? I'm being serious.
    None. You are either a quality German car owner type, or you're not.

Prius has to be the car for you. Maybe you can stuff some lentils in the fuel filler?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    But quite a few people think you're a moron. We can't all be wrong.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...e-done-13.html
    I see your sockies and raise you some real posters!

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ivate-eye.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X