• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have we done...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Well, the catholic countries in Europe have some of the lowest fertility rates, along with Japan, most of Asia is low, Brazil's is less than Sweden's and India's is falling. It seems to hold up pretty well.
    People aren't that religious in reality.

Plus the more women that are educated in a country than the lower the birth rate. (And no I can't be bothered to find the studies.)

Why do you think certain fractions around the world don't want educated girls?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      , I seem to have upset SAS, would rather not do that with you.

Not upset so much as frustrated in that it is like talking to a very dense child.
      But it gets funny in the end.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Not upset so much as frustrated in that it is like talking to a very dense child.
        But it gets funny in the end.
        I can see your communication skills are failing you, I will make allowances. Now go to bed and be a good boy, the adults are talking.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          People aren't that religious in reality.

Plus the more women that are educated in a country than the lower the birth rate. (And no I can't be bothered to find the studies.)

Why do you think certain fractions around the world don't want educated girls?
          ONS would beg to differ:

Muslim households in Great Britain were
          largest, with an average of 3.8 people. Sikh and Hindu
          households also had on average more than 3 people (3.6 and
          3.2 people respectively). Christian, Jewish and Buddhist
          households were among the smallest households, with 2.3
          people on average
          Unfortunately they fail to split up 'Christian' but I suspect Catholic families would be slightly larger than other 'Christians'.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...50500085,d.ZWU

Comment

this is interesting:

http://www.demogr.mpg.de/papers/working/wp-2006-013.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              ONS would beg to differ:

Unfortunately they fail to split up 'Christian' but I suspect Catholic families would be slightly larger than other 'Christians'.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...50500085,d.ZWU
              These ONS stats do not mean that Muslim, Sikh and Hindu families have more children.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                These ONS stats do not mean that Muslim, Sikh and Hindu families have more children.
                It doesn't suit his prejudices to remember that those from Muslim, Sikh and Hindu families are happier to live in a house with their other adult relations like their parents, a sibling or random cousin than those not from that background.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  It doesn't suit his prejudices to remember that those from Muslim, Sikh and Hindu families are happier to live in a house with their other adult relations like their parents, a sibling or random cousin than those not from that background.
                  Or perhaps grown up children are more likely to stay at home until married.
                  Or perhaps there are fewer single person and/or single parent families within equivalent age groups.
                  Perhaps the demographic profile is younger so there are more family with children units.
                  Of course perhaps they do have more children. But these stats don't tell us that.

Vetran is a neat example of how prejudice and stupidity so often go hand in hand.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    I'm not at all prejudiced.

I hate everyone equally.

FTFY
                    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      Or perhaps grown up children are more likely to stay at home until married.
                      Or perhaps there are fewer single person and/or single parent families within equivalent age groups.
                      Perhaps the demographic profile is younger so there are more family with children units.
                      Of course perhaps they do have more children. But these stats don't tell us that.

Vetran is a neat example of how prejudice and stupidity so often go hand in hand.
                      Don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant, ONS actually looked at all that, in support of my belief that religion affects the number of children you will have (the only thing I actually said which was neither negative or positive, just a fact).

However, the greater prevalence of dependent children in
                      Muslim households was observed in populations with younger
                      age structures. Six in ten (60 per cent) Indian Muslim
                      households contained dependent children, a greater proportion
                      than for Indian Sikh (56 per cent), Indian Hindu (49 per cent) or
                      Indian Christian households (36 per cent). Pensioner households
                      accounted for a larger proportion of Indian Christian
                      households (13 per cent) but Muslim (5 per cent), Sikh and
                      Hindu households (6 per cent respectively) had similar
                      proportions of pensioner households (Appendix Table A4.1).
                      Muslim households also contained a larger number of
                      dependent children than other households. Over two fifths (42
                      per cent) of Indian Muslim households contained two or more
                      dependent children, a higher proportion than among Indian
                      Sikh (36 per cent), Indian Hindu (28 per cent) and Indian
                      Christian households (21 per cent). Similarly, almost four in ten
                      (37 per cent) Black African Muslim households contained two
                      or more dependent children in 2001 compared with three in
                      ten (29 per cent) Black African Christians households (Appendix
                      Table A4.2).
                      So as I suggested SAS's suggestion that predominately Christian MEDC's are a good model for the future behaviour of predominately non Christian LEDC's is cobblers, because religion affects offspring numbers .

Now to Sue Ellen - If I mention religion and cultural Origin it doesn't mean I am prejudiced, far from it I believe it is indicative of people's likely actions . I personally believe Islam, hinduism & sikhism typically encourage a more together family unit than Atheism does that mean I inherently hate Atheists?

Comment

Working...
                      X