• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Cyclists....

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cyclists...."

Collapse

• Ticktock
    replied
    I'm on a motherf*cking bike

Leave a comment:

• MadDawg
    replied
    If you thought our roads are bad...

Cyclists brave 700-metre drops on Bolivia's North Yungas Road aka 'the world's deadliest road' | Mail Online (Wail link - sorry!)

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Haven't got time to go into as much detail as you guys have, but I am also always in the right whenever I use the road.

hth,
    tl
    about sums it up

Everyone Is An Asshole - CollegeHumor Article

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Haven't got time to go into as much detail as you guys have, but I am also always in the right whenever I use the road.

hth,
    tl

Leave a comment:

• RetSet
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    All you say is correct. But consider the number of times pedestrians just walk into the road causing cyclists to swerve - sometimes in a daze and sometimes on phone. Worse they sometimes see a cyclist and decide the cyclist can swerve anyway - after all if a cyclist hits a pedestrian the pedestrian does not get hurt do they?

As I have repeatedly said, the biggest danger to cyclists is not cars but pedestrians.
    Agreed.

This time last year I was working in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire and did most of my getting around on an old hack iron bougt for the purpose.

I very quickly came to the conclusions that (1) a dozy pedestrian would make a softer landing for me than a car/ bus/ truck, and (2) I would not swerve into the flow of traffic to avoid a dozy bike rider who endangers me, rather I would happily deposit him on the pavement/ bike lane.

Fortunately, I never needed to apply either of these, but would have had no qualms whatsoever in doing so.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    I got a bike horn when I was commuting around west London. There were forever people wandering into the bike lanes on phones, or just in a daze. It was a monster. 115dB. Loud as a pneumatic drill. It even scared the tulipe out of me, and I was behind it and knew it was coming.

The first time I needed to use it in anger, the wandering pedestrian in question was deaf.

True story.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    last night some muppet in a Van got the full force of my bike horn. Yes If I am coming from your right on a roundabout I do have priority even on two wheels. I'm going slowly because muppets like you pull out on me, not to let you out.

Pedestrians are an absolute pain, I am caught yelling at them .. see that picture of the bicycle muppet????? The picture of the person walking is over there try using your side idiot!!!!!!!!!!! BEEEEEEPPPPP

Get a big bike horn , use it frequently and searchlight front & rear lights its the only way.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    All you say is correct. But consider the number of times pedestrians just walk into the road causing cyclists to swerve - sometimes in a daze and sometimes on phone. Worse they sometimes see a cyclist and decide the cyclist can swerve anyway - after all if a cyclist hits a pedestrian the pedestrian does not get hurt do they?

As I have repeatedly said, the biggest danger to cyclists is not cars but pedestrians.
    Biggest danger here is old fogies on electric bikes

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Imagine if a car driver did that: San Francisco cyclist guilty of manslaughter in legal first | World news | guardian.co.uk

Actually a cyclist (young female) killed an old man just down the road from me and got banged up, likewise there have been quite a few injuries in the town where cyclists have hit pedestrians. The town made one certain area cycle free but cyclists continued to use it (a friend got a leg and arm broken by one inconsiderate lycra clad moron) and, laughably, the chairman of one of the local cycling clubs argued against it saying that pedestrians should walk to one side and get out of the way of cyclists which is a bit difficult to do when they're haring down a hill and you can't actually see behind you.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    "I was already way too committed to stop … I couldn't see a line through the crowd and I couldn't stop, so I laid it down and just plowed through the crowded crosswalk in the least-populated place I could find,"
    A superior court judge could determine within six months if his conviction can be reduced to a misdemeanour.
    Imagine if a car driver did that: San Francisco cyclist guilty of manslaughter in legal first | World news | guardian.co.uk

Actually a cyclist (young female) killed an old man just down the road from me and got banged up, likewise there have been quite a few injuries in the town where cyclists have hit pedestrians. The town made one certain area cycle free but cyclists continued to use it (a friend got a leg and arm broken by one inconsiderate lycra clad moron) and, laughably, the chairman of one of the local cycling clubs argued against it saying that pedestrians should walk to one side and get out of the way of cyclists which is a bit difficult to do when they're haring down a hill and you can't actually see behind you.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Actually the car journey cost you about £200, since the average car costs around 72p per mile these days, according to the RAC.
    Would be if I had a nice car but I am running a paid in cash snotter. It cost me 3k last year and I extracted 9k out the business in milage in the same period its the only car I have ever ran at a profit.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    did any of you see this tonight?

BBC Two - The Route Masters: Running London's Roads
    very pro cyclist thought it would have the car lovers up in arms.
    I wanted to know what happened to the foreign woman who got mangled under the bus - there appeared to be a view (not saying this was hers as we weren't told) that drivers of cars, buses etc needed to do whatever they had to in order not to prang the poor cyclists no matter how dangerously the cyclists are riding. I'm fairly sure that bus driver wouldn't have wanted to hurt anyone any more than the woman wanted her legs mangled.

What I'm saying is there has to be consideration on all sides, the bloke I saw yesterday, and loads of people in London seem to be riding a bike, which is potentially dangerous, as if it had an invisible forcefield and no matter how poor or dangerous their riding, it's up to other people to get out of their way - like BMW drivers, that approach works 90% of the time because the rest of us put up with it - but you can be unlucky.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    If you're going down that route, then you need to add on the standard costs of owning a car to the original rail fare, as he would still own a car. The 72p a mile considers depreciation, wear and tear, insurance, maintenance, MOT's etc.
    So that would take my day out to over £320

Its not encouraging is it?

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Actually the car journey cost you about £200, since the average car costs around 72p per mile these days, according to the RAC.
    If you're going down that route, then you need to add on the standard costs of owning a car to the original rail fare, as he would still own a car. The 72p a mile considers depreciation, wear and tear, insurance, maintenance, MOT's etc.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    I thought it was very telling that they had decided that it was a great idea to set the lights to favour buses and cyclists, Only to wonder why the rest of the traffic was snarled up. You can tell that they were only thinking about travel from a takes kids to school or cycles to an office point of view. How does this "Oh everybody has to cycle strategy" fit the businesses that need deliveries or the tradesmen that carry tools and materials? With London left to these clowns it will look like any other burned out high street eventually.

The trouble with TFL is that they think everyone that is in a car lives inside the M25 judging by the M11 link and the M4 on any given morning I would say that this assumption is pretty far from the truth. For the record I think that cycling or free tubes are the only sustainable method of transport for the future in London. But the economics do not add up when it comes to cross country travel. Yesterday I drove from my home into the centre of London. I left at 6 and arrived onsite at about 9 I had a car space at the clients so that was free and the return trip cost me just over half a tank of petrol (£45) and the congestion charge. If I used rail then the ticket would have been £181 for a cattle class ticket plus £18 to park at the station (First was over £260 for a single return journey) So for clients that I only visit very occasionally I will continue to sit in car...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X