• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "House buying at an auction"

Collapse

• Freelancer Financials
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I have always wondered who owns the freehold on German houses? Private individuals? Government?
    Local Government, Private and Public corporations and individuals.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Ondine View Post
    German Efficiency!

Is it true that most Germans just rent? Not that interested in owning the Freehold?
    I have always wondered who owns the freehold on German houses? Private individuals? Government?

Leave a comment:

• Ondine
    replied
    Originally posted by yannek View Post
    well, in Germany it's not really risky buying a house at an public auction. You get all important information about the condition of the house and a fair price. You can save up to 50% of the market-value of the house in case that noone else was bidding. In the second round you can even save more than 50%.
    German Efficiency!

Is it true that most Germans just rent? Not that interested in owning the Freehold?

Leave a comment:

• yannek
    replied
    well, in Germany it's not really risky buying a house at an public auction. You get all important information about the condition of the house and a fair price. You can save up to 50% of the market-value of the house in case that noone else was bidding. In the second round you can even save more than 50%.

Leave a comment:

• Ondine
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Only a fool would do otherwise

(Fingers crossed for the Halifax to come up with the money)
    One of my friends purchased a church at an auction 2 years ago in Leicester for £99,000. It was perfect for conversion. In the end she had to buy it cash as the lender didn't lend. The lender HSBC said that the Church was too old and big for it to be converted into a residential property. Basically, its down to the lender's valuers comments.

She spent at least £125,000 doing it up. She sold it a couple of months ago to a retired artist for £399,000 who is looking to use it as an art gallery.

It's very difficult to get a mortgage for a property at an auction, let alone a Church! I hope you have a contingency plan in case you cant get the mortgage.

Good luck! It sounds like a good project!

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Christianity is simply adjusting to the number of people who are actually Christians, rather than a state religion where everyone goes to church as a matter of course. When you think how every tiny village used to have a chapel or church, clearly that is overkill - you don't see mosques closing because there are hardly any of them in comparison!
    No, Christianity is adjusting to having fewer followers, as will Islam as enlightenment happens. More and more people are leaving religion, including Muslims, as they become more and more enlightened and educated.

It was easier forcing religion on people, but now they have a choice, the numbers are dropping. Islam is only as large as it is in places like Pakistan, Indonesia and Afghanistan, as the options are less than savoury; denounce Mohammed in Lahore and you're dead, denounce him in Bristol and life goes on. What you're finding is that without forced religion, people realise they can make their own minds up, and the numbers drop. It's proven 2nd and 3rd generation muslims are dropping their faith. That's all that has been happening with Christianity.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    What's on the stained glass windows? And how old are they?
    Not sure. One of them is dedicated to a former vicar who was murdered in the vicarage - in 1868 they voted to have a new window dedicated to him, so I guess that it's not too much after that. His is one of the graves which comes with the property:

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    What's on the stained glass windows? And how old are they?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Have promised the children that although they will have to share a bedroom to start with, they will get a room with en-suite each once it's completed. ...
    crypt

No seriously, mega kudos. The tower alone looks big enough for three or four floors of rooms with a spiral metal staircase. Outstanding

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    It'll be amazing. You should do a blog.

When son #1 was about 4, he went to church with his granny.

"Granny, does God live in your church?"

"Well yes," says granny.

"Oh. I thought so - I saw his cooker out the back."

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    What about a trained monkey?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Yep.

We still haven't worked out how to change the lightbulbs yet, either. Bloody big long ladders, it seems.
    LED bulbs/strips or you can get lights on ropes that winch down.

stage lighting from the floor?

of course as you have the arches with stud walls I would be tempted to put the light fittings in the walls pointing into the nave and have rear access. You could back light some recovered stained glass in the walls?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Will be a nightmare to dust though.
    Yep.

We still haven't worked out how to change the lightbulbs yet, either. Bloody big long ladders, it seems.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm jealous too, and that price is amazing.

FAQ, is the plan to live there or make money?
    Family home. We've looked at various places for a while, but this was too good to miss - ready to move into but with lots of potential. Have promised the children that although they will have to share a bedroom to start with, they will get a room with en-suite each once it's completed.

All the structural work is complete, everything from here is internal work - still need to build a few walls, the nave floor, the staircases up into the tower though.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'm jealous too, and that price is amazing.

FAQ, is the plan to live there or make money?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X