• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Custom made fitted furniture"

Collapse

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    , hang round outside at closing time .
    Is that how you met Spod

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Sorry to revive this after so long.... Great advice from NLUK and this is the way I am going to do it - Only thing is I am struggling to find a one man band. Anybody able to give me some recommendations?
    Apparently Mark Sultan (also known as BBQ) is pretty good.

It seems he also works as part of groups, not sure if he still does one man stuff.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Yeah, I can see why they want to charge top dollar for what you want. Get your ideas off them and find a local furniture maker one man band type thing to make it for you. You are just paying one guy for his time and materials, not all the other corporate gubbins....
    Sorry to revive this after so long.... Great advice from NLUK and this is the way I am going to do it - Only thing is I am struggling to find a one man band. Anybody able to give me some recommendations?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Yeah, I can see why they want to charge top dollar for what you want. Get your ideas off them and find a local furniture maker one man band type thing to make it for you. You are just paying one guy for his time and materials, not all the other corporate gubbins....

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Find a local shopfitting Co, hang round outside at closing time and ask one of the lads to give you a quote for the work. You'll find they are usually qualified carpenters/cabinet makers and happy to do some work on the side.

It's how my brother gets all his weekend work Randoms at the shop gate.
    Thanks for that - best idea I heard so far.....

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    You're just rude!
    Yeah! Too right.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Find a local shopfitting Co, hang round outside at closing time and ask one of the lads to give you a quote for the work. You'll find they are usually qualified carpenters/cabinet makers and happy to do some work on the side.

It's how my brother gets all his weekend work Randoms at the shop gate.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Painting real wood seems a bit of a travesty to me - why pay extra for decent wood and then paint it? Also, plain planks may actually be worse in terms of strength.
    Because you can always strip it in 20 years. It also tends to look nicer as it ages as it doesn't chip like MDF.

Having said that I prefer a natural oiled finish myself.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I like real wood. It feels nicer.
    Painting real wood seems a bit of a travesty to me - why pay extra for decent wood and then paint it? Also, plain planks may actually be worse in terms of strength.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    If you look on this:

Optima Olive

it's just the TV unit (not the end bit, only one part of the wall).

That's the kind of thing I am looking for.

Perhaps I should have said that from the start!

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Get some Poles to do it for you.
    Custom made bookshelves installed into alcoves and painted white = £1000 labour plus cost of wood.
    I like real wood. It feels nicer.
    Not painted it wont...<snigger>

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    I had this when I wanted bespoke wardrobes, costs were starting at 2K+, so I got my joiner chap to fit some Ikea PAX wardrobes (you pick all the bits/styles, etc) , total cost was £950.

qh

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Set mine into the wall, with the fireplace dug out to house the AV equipment. Chased wires into the wall and wall mounted the 7:1 speakers (obviously not the :1).

£3k. Best money spent and looks superb.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    that's your idea of upmarket? eeww.
    well it's more upmarket than my £80 one from dixons!

snob

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Works for me.

I had to chip the old cement off the breeze blocks though.
    You're is posh though in welsh wales, I use house bricks then you can adjust the height to whether it's high or low brow stuff on the TV.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X