• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cretins are two-a-penny since the debasement of education started in the early 90s."

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Electronics in 1976
    History in 1986

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Is this a maths puzzle?
    No, it's his IQ...

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    85, 95, 2002...
    Is this a maths puzzle?

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    85, 95, 2002...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by proggy View Post
    Keep at it, you will crack it one day.
    Do you think that will happen before or after you start being funny?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I covered integration and differentiation in AO Maths in 1984, not in the O level Maths I did in 1983. I'm glad it's taught now at a younger age, as it isn't exactly difficult... though do they have to do any of the proofs?

My son (2nd year Physics student) doesn't use calculus any more - he uses group theory to do whatever he needs to do - it's more powerful than calculus. Currently he's doing differential topology. I certainly didn't do that at university.

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    That's the subject I've been dealing with in the last 10 odd years, but I'm sure its the same in Engineering, Physics or whatever you care to name
    Keep at it, you will crack it one day.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    So it's all to do with maths?
    That's the subject I've been dealing with in the last 10 odd years, but I'm sure its the same in Engineering, Physics or whatever you care to name

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Hmm, that's odd. I did the last year of O levels and I am sure we did integration and differentiation at some level. Can't remember calculus though...
    Integration and Differentiation ARE Calculus, it's the first thing you are taught usually single variable then multi then differential equations etc

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I did O level maths in 1984.
    My son is doing GCSE maths course now - he's covering stuff like calculus and integration that wasn't done till A Level when I was at school.
    Hmm, that's odd. I did the last year of O levels and I am sure we did integration and differentiation at some level. Can't remember calculus though...

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I did O level maths in 1984.
    My son is doing GCSE maths course now - he's covering stuff like calculus and integration that wasn't done till A Level when I was at school.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Some people are just plain thick and won't understand the material however long they take.
    Soviet methods can deal with this also.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Like what?
    It's hard for me to say since I didn't do the older papers, but I don't believe all the stats stuff would have been covered... there are enough stats modules to fill a whole A-level these days. Also decision maths, and probably a few bits and pieces of different integral techniques since you can pick & choose from so many different ones!

I seem to recall GCSEs also started covering matrix math as a new thing but it was some years ago. I definitely recall my A-level teacher (who had been teaching for decades) saying it was not ALL one-way traffic.

There are something like 16 maths modules one can do these days, and an A-level is 4. Ergo, there must be more stuff than there was in total, because even falling standards would not cover the syllabus shrinking 75%

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Not really. There is hard evidence:

1. Talk to any long time professor of maths and every single one will tell you of falling standards.
    2. Buy any standard university maths books that's been through several editions. The later editions will invariably have supplementary material that would have been mastered at A-level pre-90s.
    Some are obliged to have O-level material.
    3. many of the best unis have been forced to change from 3-year to 4-year degrees in tough subjects.
    4. My rates are sky high because new grads of the requisite quality are just not coming through.
    So it's all to do with maths?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    They do teach things that didn't use to be covered too of course. .
    Like what?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X