• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Religious nut kills himself in Norte Dame Cathedral as protest to gay marriage"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Voodoo? Does that mean he's a talking black cock?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    No I am not. The problem is that I read more carefully than you write. In the context of mathematical logic "valid" means something, so when you also say that it is all but impossible to interpret your original statement as meaning anything other than "scientific experiments can prove mathematical theorems".

Therefore, you are talking cock.

QED
    Well. I am a simple ancient language graduate, but he may not understand that reason is an alternative to voodoo.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by proggy View Post
    My statement was
    "Yes because scientific rational experiments can confirm Mathematical concepts/identities are valid."
    Which is wrong in all important respects. Scientific rational experiments fundamentally cannot confirm mathematical concepts. Not in the slightest, under any circumstances. To say that they do simply shows, once more, how deeply ignorant you are.

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Listen, and understand. That Proggy is out there. It can't be argued with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel remorse, or fear or stupidity. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you have given up and gone to bed.
    Or banned for stupidity beyond bounds. Einstein said "There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not certain about the first one". He'd have felt that Proggy was all by himself proof of the second.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Listen, and understand. That Proggy is out there. It can't be argued with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel remorse, or fear or stupidity. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you have given up and gone to the pub.
    Much better idea.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    My statement was
    "Yes because scientific rational experiments can confirm Mathematical concepts/identities are valid."

So you are saying basically what I said.
    No I am not. The problem is that I read more carefully than you write. In the context of mathematical logic "valid" means something, so when you also say that
    And math proofs aren't scientific? What are they then? Voodoo?
    it is all but impossible to interpret your original statement as meaning anything other than "scientific experiments can prove mathematical theorems".

Therefore, you are talking cock.

QED

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Quite. You sound like an GCSE media studies student to be honest.
    Listen, and understand. That Proggy is out there. It can't be argued with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel remorse, or fear or stupidity. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you have given up and gone to bed.

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    Experiments may be useful to help convince that some mathematical statement is likely to be true, or to provide clues on how to find a proof, but they do not constitute a proof in the mathematical sense.
    My statement was

So you are saying basically what I said.

Next time read more carefully, before wading in, that goes for the other "Mathematicians" here.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    You sound like a first year Mathematics student, you have done a few proofs and think your a Mathematician, when in fact you are a clueless idoit.
    HTH
    Quite. You sound like an GCSE media studies student to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    This formula was discovered not by formal reasoning, but instead by numerical searches on a computer; only afterwards was a rigorous proof found[/COLOR]
    Erm, yes. You did notice it says that the numerical searches and other experiments didn't result in a proof, and that it was proven later, didn't you?

Experiments may be useful to help convince that some mathematical statement is likely to be true, or to provide clues on how to find a proof, but they do not constitute a proof in the mathematical sense.

Maths and science have different concepts of truth. Both a scientific theory and a mathematical conjecture can potentially be proven false, but once a proof of a theorem exists it rules out the possibility of subsequent falsification. It is true in a way that only something that exists purely in the world of ideas can be. There is no equivalent to this for scientific theories, in that respect they are merely conjectures, however well supported by experimental evidence they happen to be.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Experimental mathematics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A significant milestone and achievement of experimental mathematics was the discovery in 1995 of the Bailey–Borwein–Plouffe formula for the binary digits of π. This formula was discovered not by formal reasoning, but instead by numerical searches on a computer; only afterwards was a rigorous proof found

You sound like a first year Mathematics student, you have done a few proofs and think your a Mathematician, when in fact you are a clueless idoit.
    HTH
    Sounds like you've met your match.

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    Maths is a tool used by science, but it is not science, and proofs are not scientific. You are conflating mathematical reasoning with the scientific method and they are not the same thing at all.

Maths uses logical reasoning to prove beyond any doubt that a particular statement is true given the truth of some other statements.

Science uses experiments to obtain evidence to support or disprove theories.

A scientific theory can potentially be disproved, a mathematical theorem cannot. Although scientific theories are often expressed in a mathematical form you cannot "prove" a scientific theory using logical reasoning alone, and a mathematical theorem cannot be proved by experiment, which is what you asserted.

They certainly have some common roots, unfortunately the way you are expressing yourself bears few of the hallmarks of rational thinking.

Modern maths relies on logical deduction from axioms, these are statements that are accepted as true without proof. In that respect it's remarkably similar to religion, and in fact you get quasi-religious arguments over things such as the axiom of choice, which it turns out is unprovable. You either accept it exists or you don't.

Have you ever read a mathematical proof? A proper one?
    Experimental mathematics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A significant milestone and achievement of experimental mathematics was the discovery in 1995 of the Bailey–Borwein–Plouffe formula for the binary digits of π. This formula was discovered not by formal reasoning, but instead by numerical searches on a computer; only afterwards was a rigorous proof found

HTH
    Last edited by proggy; 22 May 2013, 16:43.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    And math proofs aren't scientific? What are they then? Voodoo?
    Maths is a tool used by science, but it is not science, and proofs are not scientific. You are conflating mathematical reasoning with the scientific method and they are not the same thing at all.

Maths uses logical reasoning to prove beyond any doubt that a particular statement is true given the truth of some other statements.

Science uses experiments to obtain evidence to support or disprove theories.

A scientific theory can potentially be disproved, a mathematical theorem cannot. Although scientific theories are often expressed in a mathematical form you cannot "prove" a scientific theory using logical reasoning alone, and a mathematical theorem cannot be proved by experiment, which is what you asserted.

My point is Math is grounded in rational thinking as is science. Religion is not!
    They certainly have some common roots, unfortunately the way you are expressing yourself bears few of the hallmarks of rational thinking.

Modern maths relies on logical deduction from axioms, these are statements that are accepted as true without proof. In that respect it's remarkably similar to religion, and in fact you get quasi-religious arguments over things such as the axiom of choice, which it turns out is unprovable. You either accept it exists or you don't.

Have you ever read a mathematical proof? A proper one?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    "It was a joke". Yes, of course you were. You're only pretending to be a blithering idiot. But you are right on one thing; you should start with an understanding of what mathematics is, as you clearly haven't a clue.

btw - Euler was a deist. He believed in a supreme supernatural being (god) and the immortality of the soul.

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Let me explain why your two comments here indicate the depth of your ignorance.

1. Science does not "confirm mathematical concepts". Maths confirms mathematical concepts. Some mathematical concepts are used in science; many have no scientific application whatsoever; nonetheless they remain mathematics.

2. "Jesus wept" is a common expletive used to indicate incredulity, specifically at stupidity. Sasguru's use in this case is to show that he thinks you're an imbecile (because of your first comment). It in no way indicates that he is religious - any more than Einstein's "God does not play dice", or "God created the integers, all else is of man".

Ironically, your response to his response to your first comment only increases the evidence that you really are incredibly thick, and probably shouldn't be allowed out to play by your mummy.
    1) "Mathematics is the queen of the sciences." Johann Carl Friedrich Gauss
    2) I know it was a joke.

I'll take my chances ans side with Gauss

Looks like you have learning to do, I would start with understanding what Mathematics is.
    Last edited by proggy; 22 May 2013, 14:15.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Yes because scientific rational experiments can confirm Mathematical concepts/identities are valid.
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Jesus wept.
    Not another religious nut! I thought you were a bit more rational minded. So what is Math based on then if not rational thought? Astrology?
    Let me explain why your two comments here indicate the depth of your ignorance.

1. Science does not "confirm mathematical concepts". Maths confirms mathematical concepts. Some mathematical concepts are used in science; many have no scientific application whatsoever; nonetheless they remain mathematics.

2. "Jesus wept" is a common expletive used to indicate incredulity, specifically at stupidity. Sasguru's use in this case is to show that he thinks you're an imbecile (because of your first comment). It in no way indicates that he is religious - any more than Einstein's "God does not play dice", or "God created the integers, all else is of man".

Ironically, your response to his response to your first comment only increases the evidence that you really are incredibly thick, and probably shouldn't be allowed out to play by your mummy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X