• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Unicycles

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Unicycles"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Very handy though to keep one in the car boot if it's as easy as riding a normal bicycle once one gets the knack of it.

I imagine freewheeling down steep hills would always be a problem though, unless it's just a case of leaning backwards a bit.

Seriously, can anyone here ride a unicycle? Is it relaxing and "second nature" once you mastered it, or a constant challenge like walking a high wire?
    I've tried it and it's really not easy, respect to those who can. People who can say it does become second nature eventually.

There are no brakes. To slow down you apply resistance to the pedals with your legs. No coasting, it's like a fixed gear bike. The cranks are on a fixed axle. If the wheels turn the cranks turn, the faster you go the faster they turn. Going down hill is an exercise in control, you can't just freewheel down (and you'd have no brakes if you did).

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I saw one in the local bike shop for about £80. I was very tempted, but fear it would have been a five minute wonder.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Seriously, can anyone here ride a unicycle?
    In one of my permie jobs years ago my boss at the time who was about 50 tried to teach himself how to ride a unicycle. He'd recently completed some family tree research and discovered his family were all performers in circus shows so figured he would take something up as a hobby.

He turned up to work full of bruises for months (for some reason coming off a unicycle seemed to result in more injuries than a standard bike) but through perseverance he managed to become sufficiently competent that he could actually juggle whilst riding the unicycle. All self taught but with the battle scars to prove it.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Impressive, but it wouldn't have worked as a paradoy thread.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Bollocks. Extreme pogo is where it's at!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    When I was working in Bristol c. 2006-7 I'd occasionally see a chap riding a unicycle in suit & tie, carrying an attaché case. It was always around the same time in the morning, and he clearly used it as a way of getting to the office when the weather was OK.

I suspect he'd parked nearby (as had I) and just used the unicycle for the last bit of his journey, but it used to cheer me up no end when I'd pause and look around before crossing Passage Street, and he came out of Queen Street behind me, turning right across the queuing traffic and sailing majestically on over the bridge towards Counterslip

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

frivolous
    off topic
    silly
    dumb
    What does FOSD stand for? It must mean something.

I wonder if anyone has developed a unicycle with a small spring loaded rear wheel, like a miniature penny farthing. I'd buy one.

Also, how do the brakes work on a unicycle? Someone should invent an electronic sphinctre compression sensor in the seat, so the rider could simply work it with that.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied

Whats this got to do with the ongoing intellectual battle of our age ? I for one can not see what the flying fck this has to do with anything.
    frivolous
    off topic
    silly
    dumb

If Moyes decides to go to manu, we can do without him and his unicycle

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Very handy though to keep one in the car boot if it's as easy as riding a normal bicycle once one gets the knack of it.

I imagine freewheeling down steep hills would always be a problem though, unless it's just a case of leaning backwards a bit.

Seriously, can anyone here ride a unicycle? Is it relaxing and "second nature" once you mastered it, or a constant challenge like walking a high wire?
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 11 May 2013, 21:28.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I would like a tandem unicycle

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I would like a tandem unicycle

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    started a topic Unicycles