• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Awkwardness - turning down an offer"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I have had sleepless nights for many reasons. This isn't one of them.
    Speed and amphetamines will do that.

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    Yeah because the agent and client will be crying on their pillow all night that you turned them down. I love turning down contracts it means you are in demand or can afford to say no to crappy clients.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I have had sleepless nights for many reasons. This isn't one of them.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Nope, it is a professional arrangement and I behave in a professional manner.
    Although I suspect the OP is using this as a disguised vanity thread to show how he has so many offers that he's beating them off with a stick. There are some needy folk on here
    NSS!

(Now rep me, I need the attention)

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Although I suspect the OP is using this as a disguised vanity thread
    Should we start to charge for vanity threads?
    And if they're really rich, then Sas and DimPrawn could cough up at least £4.99 for each of their utterances - Admin would love it..

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Nope, it is a professional arrangement and I behave in a professional manner.
    Although I suspect the OP is using this as a disguised vanity thread to show how he has so many offers that he's beating them off with a stick. There are some needy folk on here

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Really?

I suppose the usual total silence from their end is a bit of a hint.
    The client will always tell the agent you've been unsuccessful, whether the agent passes this on is another matter!

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Last offer I had I turned down, they came back with a higher rate, I turned it down again, they upped the rate and I'm starting today

Long and short of it is you are a business, and if not in your best interests either commercially or socially then don't take it. Do you think ClientCo agonises of telling an interviewee no? Same principle really

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Does anybody else find it incredibly awkward going to an interview, receiving an offer and having to explain to an agent why you won't accept? Especially when they have worked really hard to get you the role........
    No.

Next!

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    I turned one down yesterday. When pressed for a reason I came out with "I took a look at the tech they are using and it just isn't is exciting as other stuff I am looking at."

I don't feel bad for the agent but sometimes it's hard turning down the client when they've picked you and if you don't have something else lined up it's hard to turn down the money.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If you told the agent/client you would accept the role if offered, or implied it, feeling a bit awkward is entirely natural IMO, but if you have a better/preferable offer what can you do...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Alias View Post
    no...

business is business, they/clients have no problems in ignoring you if you aren't successful ...At least you have the manners to tell them...

FTFY

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Over a month late with that April's Fool.

Still, nice try.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Does anybody else find it incredibly awkward going to an interview, receiving an offer and having to explain to an agent why you won't accept? Especially when they have worked really hard to get you the role........
    Over a month late with that April's Fool.

Still, nice try.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    You're not cut out for this contracting lark are you...
    ah so I have to be a prick with no regard for how others may feel in order to be contracting.......

I have been doing it for 3.5 years and I am not suffering from depression (as I was when I was in permie land). Like it or not you don't have to be as disliked as yourself to be contracting......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X