• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Racism in the IT Industry (contracting or otherwise..)"

Collapse

• Project Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by messiah View Post
    racism in IT ... let me tell you all about it ...

I worked in a company that rhymes with Sneuters an Asian manager hired me with approval from a white manager, I am white.

I worked for the Asian Manager who in conjuction with the White manager lied to me about the contract at the interview stage - it was reatlly a testing role dressed up as development work.

The Asian manager gave me testing work, week after week, he knew he had conned me, I knew he had conned me into a cr*p job but I decided to lie low and look for another job in the meantime.

To make matters worse an Asian FTV with an attitude problem that the Asian manager had hired started to criticize my work (and I mean go out on an all out attack at anything that could be used .. most of it was ridiculous)... he initiated meetings about the quality of my work and I had to defend every point that he made against me. In fairness the Asian manager saw this and sided with me as far as the quality of work was concerned. The Asian FTV guy was either racist or jealous towards me (he was a permie with a kids living in a cr*p flat in Paddington) - I could never decide which he was.

But I came to the conclusion that it was more of a terratorial thing that this FTV Asian had.... ie get rid of people coming in to make his position safer maybe.

Having said that the Asian FTV used to 'hisssss' at me quite openly in the office when he ever disapproved of me .. that made me want to knock his block off.

I think ultimately some Asians are getting away with murder in the office and they know that they can because if you say anything against them it is deemed to be "racist".

I left after a couple of months and so did a colleague of mine (White and Jewish) in the same team/situation.
    What part of this make you think he was racist?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    I have worked inside an Indian outsourcer.

The racism both caste on caste and anti white folk was routine, planned, through all of the layers, and extreme.

The senior execs will even slag off British grads openly to the press and industry analysts claiming that their Indian staff are massively cheaper, in ways which if it were reversed would have any Brit done for racsim.

Never again.
    In which case he would be right

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied

The racism both caste on caste and anti white folk was routine, planned, through all of the layers, and extreme.

The senior execs will even slag off British grads openly to the press and industry analysts claiming that their Indian staff are massively better, in ways which if it were reversed would have any Brit done for racsim.

Never again.
    And yet the reality is that Indian IT staff are often not as good as their white counterparts.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    SO you have dug up a zombie thread from 2006 ????.

I let it through just to show you that we don't 'stifle' talk of racism (as I'm sure you would have prattled had I not let it through), and another reason which will become clear soon enough.

You obviously only bother yourself with the Professional forums.
    I'm glad you did as I enjoyed the discussion about your bumpy bits.

Oh tulip, is that a hammer I see descending?

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied

The senior execs will even slag off British grads openly to the press and industry analysts claiming that their Indian staff are massively better, in ways which if it were reversed would have any Brit done for racsim.

Never again.
    That's basic PC stuff, everyone is equal unless you're white, male or Christian so they're not being racist

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied

Never again.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    it is difficult in a lot of the smaller shops they tend to go for relations / mates as well.

So you see an entirely Asian set up because they all share relatives or temples.

But overall I reckon IT is much less racist than many other professions.

Leave a comment:

• Dominic Connor
    replied
    Japanese Banks

Japanese banks do have a general problem with black people, not specific to IT.

The only person I know for a fact was fired because he was black was an IT civil servant, he wasn't actually competent, but the firing was because he was black.

I've been researching an article on statistical racism for The Register...

Its going slowly, since the only data source I actually trust is LinkedIn, since as a pimp I know how bad the "official" stats firms make up are.

So I've been experimenting with counting faces, using my skill and judgement to guess whether someone is white or not. I arbitrarily count Spanish people as white, but Arabs as not, etc. Obviously you can be an Indian citizen and be white and people often describe themselves in ways that make stats tricky, but my view is that racism is more about the colour of your skin than the legalism around your passport.

As a line of work IT has more coloured people than the population as a whole, about 11-12%, which implies less racism but some firms seem to vary from that quite a bit and when (or a hapless intern) get some time, their white/non white and male to female ratios are going to be done more thoroughly.

Libel laws being what they are, I suspect I'll be using phrases like "XX is not racist but the price they seem to have paid for an unusually high number of women is that they hire almost no non-whites", and yes there does seem to be at least one firm like that, a famous one as well, it would appear to have more white blonde women called Sarah than all types of coloured people put together.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    how are weird and gilly?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
    I think this site provides really useful information. However, I clicked on this link to genuinely find out what people's experience of racism is in the IT industry and I'm pretty disappointed to read the majority of responses are either sarcastic or not taking the thread seriously.
    SO you have dug up a zombie thread from 2006 ????.

I let it through just to show you that we don't 'stifle' talk of racism (as I'm sure you would have prattled had I not let it through), and another reason which will become clear soon enough.

You obviously only bother yourself with the Professional forums.

Leave a comment:

• ziggystardust
    replied
    I think this site provides really useful information. However, I clicked on this link to genuinely find out what people's experience of racism is in the IT industry and I'm pretty disappointed to read the majority of responses are either sarcastic or not taking the thread seriously.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by John Galt
    "but Whites do get paid more for the same work and hold most of the senior positions"

Sorry but if you are going to come up with a sweeping statement like that we are going to need to see some evidence to back it up. Do you honestly think in this politically correct nanny state that would be permitted by the powers that be???
    perhaps not in the civil service but in the private sector why not? They'll do anything to bring someone in from India at 75% of the wage of a UK person.

Last client I had out of 150 staff there were no asian, blacks or anyone of any colour. Current client - no asians or blacks in the first 5 tiers of management.

Not scientific but one gets the impression that there are two glass ceilings.

Leave a comment:

• bobsmithldn
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    Oh yes, in Denmark get it quite a bit. At one client it was so extreme I was forced to challenge: "Is it coz I'z black?". IIRC I discussed it on this very board previously. BTW I dropped that client, 'cause I won't work for such people, well, not unless they pay a higher rate.
    Woz it a poonani you waz taking stick froem?

Leave a comment:

• bobsmithldn
    replied
    Originally posted by BradNeedsYourHelp
    Do you have any evidence of it? have you experienced it yourself?

One of the posts on here, got me thinking about it.
    ***Nothing at all*** in the 14 years I've been working and I'm from a minority ...

Leave a comment:

• Leeda
    replied
    Originally posted by sappatz
    all i know is they dont like reptiles in the IT industry...
    Issit cos they bite?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X