• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Prison

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Prison"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    What do you do with the drug addicts?

A lot of them won't be violent but tagging them and getting them a job is a waste of time as they will break the curfew and steal from the job if they turn up.

Trying to rehabilitate them unless they are ready is a waste of time and money.

You can't leave them on the street as they will just carry on with their stealing from shops and breaking into peoples houses to feed their habit.

Also all your ideas cost more money than governments want to spend and most voters would approve.
    Every one they turn away from crime will probably save millions. Get them first time and turn them around they can be saved.

No Drugs in prison full stop.

Anyone taking drugs stay in prison. If the prison officers are bringing it in they can be locked up as well.

reduce offending and lock up criminals and costs will fall.

Every slightly serious incident costs tens of thousands to resolve. Lock up or cure repeat offenders and you will save a fortune.

Bit old but I doubt the percentages have changed much:

BBC News | UK | Cost of crime hits £60bn

Though wounding accounts for only 1% of all crimes, it accounts for more than a quarter of the cost of crime at an estimated £15.6 billion a year, according to the Home Office.

It is the first time that the government has tried to collate figures on the cost of crime.

On average a violent crime involving wounding costs £19,000 comprising pain and loss for the victim, medical costs and police investigation time.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

A lot of them won't be violent but tagging them and getting them a job is a waste of time as they will break the curfew and steal from the job if they turn up.

You can't leave them on the street as they will just carry on with their stealing from shops and breaking into peoples houses to feed their habit.

Also all your ideas cost more money than governments want to spend and most voters would approve.
    There is a lot of good research to say that if the cost of a keeping someone in prison is instead spent on rehabilitation, proper rehab, its much more effective, its just bad politics with the Daily Mail readers spending on anything other then more prisions

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied

The first time an addict hits prison is their 'rock bottom'. That's the time for intensive rehab. Miss that, and you've missed the opportunity. Key is then support on the outside. Most first time addicts get short sentences, therefore zilch in the way of support. Tagging doesn't help - the dealers know exactly where to find them, and they're stuck at home bored.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Expand the open prison system with more tagging to transition, get them jobs they will be less trouble to society.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Don't know some of the prisoners manage very quickly likewise some get on with particular prison officers.
    Some escape.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    That's only if you get some good mates there. Probably will happen by year 10, but before that...
    Don't know some of the prisoners manage very quickly likewise some get on with particular prison officers.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Jeffrey Archer´s book about being in prison is entitled "Hell".

.....hmm isn´t that a bit of a hint.
    three books which cover his attendance at a number of prisons.
    Hell - Belmarsh (Double A for very bad people) Gang Murderers / Armed robbers
    Purgatory - Wayland Cat C - long term well behaved but still unpleasant
    Heaven - North Sea Camp open prison

A Prison Diary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

now the question is why send a person with no history of violence to Belmarsh or even Wayland?

He suggested a number of improvements:
    Better education
    Better streaming
    Better transition to the outside.

Personally if I were in charge I would build a few new super prisons that are suitable for the lost causes. Theses guys should never be let out. If you are a serial killer there is no rehabilitation, same with a serial rapist.
    Shut the in central city prisons to pay for it.

More psych wards because care in the community doesn't work for a small percentage of the really sick ones. The doctors know which ones they are but there is no place to put them. These tend to commit offences to get attention.

Have dedicated sorting house prisons to split the Sad/Bad/Mad. This may have been the function of Belmarsh in Mr Archer's case. I would suggest that the judge should follow a procedure that decides which sorting prison they go to. Non Violent crimes go to different sections to violent ones.

Automatic deportation of non UK citizens at end of sentence or transfer to non UK prisons to serve sentence. I suspect many of them are wanted in their own country and paying Poland to house their own criminal citizens would be cheaper.

Expand the open prison system with more tagging to transition, get them jobs they will be less trouble to society.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    To be honest, if you're in the category where prison seems like a cushy option, your outside life must be pretty shite. It's no holiday camp - just try comparing prison suicide rates to those at Butlins.
    If I had to holiday at Butlins I think I'd top myself.
    Call youself a contractor!

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

He did live a millionaire lifestyle, so perhaps the contrast was more stark for him than others.
    And this hell was referring to HMP Belmarsh, the Cat A terrorist jail in east London. His third book about North Sea Camp open prison was titled: "heaven"

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    IF I designed a prison I would move all the inmates to sleep shift patterns, so 24 blocks, each gets 1 hour for breakfast at different hours through the full day, rather than cooking everyone breakfast in one go.

You could cut down staffing and resources massively thus allowing society to bang up more nutters.
    very sound idea - and there would be less scope for riots, with fewer lags outside their cells at a time

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    IF I designed a prison I would move all the inmates to sleep shift patterns, so 24 blocks, each gets 1 hour for breakfast at different hours through the full day, rather than cooking everyone breakfast in one go.
    Send 'em to the Moon 44 to mine Helium-3.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

You could cut down staffing and resources massively thus allowing society to bang up more nutters.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    You are just sitting about all day talking crap with your mates.
    That's only if you get some good mates there. Probably will happen by year 10, but before that...

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    To be honest, if you're in the category where prison seems like a cushy option, your outside life must be pretty shite. It's no holiday camp - just try comparing prison suicide rates to those at Butlins.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X