• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Prison

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeffrey Archer´s book about being in prison is entitled "Hell".

.....hmm isn´t that a bit of a hint.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

To be honest, if you're in the category where prison seems like a cushy option, your outside life must be pretty shite. It's no holiday camp - just try comparing prison suicide rates to those at Butlins.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        You are just sitting about all day talking crap with your mates.
        That's only if you get some good mates there. Probably will happen by year 10, but before that...

Comment

IF I designed a prison I would move all the inmates to sleep shift patterns, so 24 blocks, each gets 1 hour for breakfast at different hours through the full day, rather than cooking everyone breakfast in one go.

You could cut down staffing and resources massively thus allowing society to bang up more nutters.

Comment

IF I designed a prison I would move all the inmates to sleep shift patterns, so 24 blocks, each gets 1 hour for breakfast at different hours through the full day, rather than cooking everyone breakfast in one go.
            Send 'em to the Moon 44 to mine Helium-3.

Comment

You could cut down staffing and resources massively thus allowing society to bang up more nutters.
              very sound idea - and there would be less scope for riots, with fewer lags outside their cells at a time
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

He did live a millionaire lifestyle, so perhaps the contrast was more stark for him than others.
                And this hell was referring to HMP Belmarsh, the Cat A terrorist jail in east London. His third book about North Sea Camp open prison was titled: "heaven"

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  To be honest, if you're in the category where prison seems like a cushy option, your outside life must be pretty shite. It's no holiday camp - just try comparing prison suicide rates to those at Butlins.
                  If I had to holiday at Butlins I think I'd top myself.
                  Call youself a contractor!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

three books which cover his attendance at a number of prisons.
                    Hell - Belmarsh (Double A for very bad people) Gang Murderers / Armed robbers
                    Purgatory - Wayland Cat C - long term well behaved but still unpleasant
                    Heaven - North Sea Camp open prison

A Prison Diary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

now the question is why send a person with no history of violence to Belmarsh or even Wayland?

He suggested a number of improvements:
                    Better education
                    Better streaming
                    Better transition to the outside.

Personally if I were in charge I would build a few new super prisons that are suitable for the lost causes. Theses guys should never be let out. If you are a serial killer there is no rehabilitation, same with a serial rapist.
                    Shut the in central city prisons to pay for it.

More psych wards because care in the community doesn't work for a small percentage of the really sick ones. The doctors know which ones they are but there is no place to put them. These tend to commit offences to get attention.

Have dedicated sorting house prisons to split the Sad/Bad/Mad. This may have been the function of Belmarsh in Mr Archer's case. I would suggest that the judge should follow a procedure that decides which sorting prison they go to. Non Violent crimes go to different sections to violent ones.

Automatic deportation of non UK citizens at end of sentence or transfer to non UK prisons to serve sentence. I suspect many of them are wanted in their own country and paying Poland to house their own criminal citizens would be cheaper.

Expand the open prison system with more tagging to transition, get them jobs they will be less trouble to society.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      That's only if you get some good mates there. Probably will happen by year 10, but before that...
                      Don't know some of the prisoners manage very quickly likewise some get on with particular prison officers.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X