• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: St George's Day

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "St George's Day"

Collapse

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    How to live like an Englishman (according to Boswell)

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    In other words ..... horrible

Should have gone for the Turkish option.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's an English restaurant run by local English people which serves classic English dishes made from ingredients sourced from local English farmers
    In other words ..... horrible

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    St George was Turkish.

And he is the saint of a lot of countries.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Was it cooked by a fine English chef & served by a fine English wench or some Eastern Europeans?
    It's an English restaurant run by local English people which serves classic English dishes made from ingredients sourced from local English farmers

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    We celebrated by going for English steak at an English restaurant with a fine local English ale, after completing purchase of our English house
    Was it cooked by a fine English chef & served by a fine English wench or some Eastern Europeans?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    We celebrated by going for English steak at an English restaurant with a fine local English ale, after completing purchase of our English house

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    And a new superhero is born today:

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Thus proving that it's always the mediocre who take most comfort in jingoism.
    Just a bit of harmless fun by Flanders and Swann, who you may recall also wrote Mud, Mud, Glorious Mud

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    you forgot xenophobia
    Fear of stomach ripping face huggers ?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    wow. I learned something today.

I suppose if one wanted to avoid saying 'by Mohammed'

it would be 'we must have a holy war by Mingo'

he's a very naughty boy

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    "The phrase "by Jingo" was a long-established minced oath, used to avoid saying "by Jesus"."

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    "The phrase "by Jingo" was a long-established minced oath, used to avoid saying "by Jesus"."

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    what is a jingo anyway ?

does anyone have a clue what a flipping jingo even is ??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X